Sign in to follow this  
Luso

need advice for decent in-ear protection

Since joining this hobby years ago I bought a cheap pair of remington ear muff-type protection. They are bulky, get hot, and can be uncomfortable. However, it drowns the noise out pretty well.

I am looking to transition to ear plugs, but not the disposable foam kind. Can you guys recommend a reasonably priced ear plug product? Something that does a good job of dampening noise but isn't too uncomfortable.

I have the Surefire EarPro protectors and they work fairly well. It has a separate plug ON the ear plug for you to adjust how much protection you want.

That being said, I still prefer over the ear type muffs. YMMV.

Also, I notice these surefire ones tend to pull out a lot of earwax when you remove it.. Lol..! They go pretty deep into the ear canal...

Stick with the good disposable in-ear ones. just buy a couple samples of one type and make sure they fit.

Once you do that, buy them in bulk from Amazon or Home Depot.

I have tried several permanent ear plugs and frankly none of them work as well as the 32dB NRR orange plugs from Home Depot tool section. An an entire box of several hundred plugs are about the same as two pairs of permanent ones.

the problem with disposable one is you have to mess with them, roll them, squeeze, etc every time you put them in. And especially when shooting outdoors, you constantly take them on and off.

I would be doing about a 50/50 split of outdoor trap and indoor pistol shooting.

EAR soft blasts. 33db nrr, soft and comfy. I've been using them for years. Although the last time I bought a case it was the non-blast version, and they are a bit softer which is a PITA, no idea if that extends to the whole line. It beats the competition that are too firm.

If you want to try stuff, Rite-aid (at least the one I go to), has a surprising selection of disposables.

the problem with disposable one is you have to mess with them, roll them, squeeze, etc every time you put them in. And especially when shooting outdoors, you constantly take them on and off.

I would be doing about a 50/50 split of outdoor trap and indoor pistol shooting.

why would you take them out? Stop doing that, it's a waste of time.

why would you take them out? Stop doing that, it's a waste of time.

Because when you shoot trap you go up to the line, and then you back away far enough that the sound of the shots aren't bothersome, and they project downrange. You are hanging around talking to people waiting for your next game and you can't hear them with them in your ears. I always take them out.

Indoors however yes, I never take them out.