Celraysoda

Removing wall studs

Installing an in-wall appliance that is 15" wide so figured it would fit nicely in between studs. Where I want to put it, on the other side is another wall making a T. I opened the wall and instead of two studs 16" from center, there are 4 studs, 4" apart. They don't seem to be load bearing as I tried all the tests I can think of: wiggle test, cutting halfway and seeing if blade pinches, checking attic for any major beams...nothing.

Go ahead and cut out the two studs? I really can't double plate because of electrical wiring. Any body know why there would be studs 4" apart from center?

Sounds like your pile of studs is your connection point between the two walls. Kind of needs to be there as this gives rigidity to the other wall. Without them your corner joints in the sheet rock might crack. As for load bearing if you have a basement check directly below the wall. Large beams or posts is a sure sign of load bearing. Depending on how much depth you need you might be able to remove the studs and patch plywood between the studs to attach the other wall to.

the 2 studs that are 4 " apart are the nailers for the sheetrock in the corner of the other room.

This is what I'm saying also without seeing it....if that is the case... Bad idea to remove them as there will be no backing for the inside corners in the other rooms and would no doubt be an oncoming problem with the corner cracking

It's called a partition stud. Do not remove unless you want to re-sheetrock the inside corners of the adjoining room. The sheetrock is probably nailed or screwed to this stud so be prepared to fix it. You can put a different type of nailer in there if you decide to rip it out. Not an easy job, but quite doable using a bit of ingenuity.