MonmouthShooter

Took a ride to Cabela's in PA

After spending a few weeks looking for a Ruger SR22, I decided to take a ride to Cabela’s in Hamburg, PA and see if they have one. Besides, I heard lost of good stuff about the store, and wanted to take a look for myself. The ride took me 2 hours, but when I got there I was blown away by the selection of guns they had for sale. After going to all the local shops in NJ, and only having a few things to choose from, this place is massive, and has plenty to choose from.

When I approached a sales person, and told him that I was looking for a pistol, he asked me if I was a PA resident. I told him that I was from NJ, and would like to buy something and have it sent to my FFL in NJ. After I told him this, he started YELLING AT ME! Seriously, no joking, YELLING. This ass screamed at me that I must have a purchase permit to buy handguns in NJ. I told him that I have one, but not with me. I told him that I just drove 2 hours to buy something from his store, and did not think I would need my NJ pistol permit in PA. I had my NJ Firearms Card, but not the pistol permit. I told him that I need for him to ship the gun to the FFL in NJ. So he proceeded to SCREAM that if I don’t have my NJ pistol permit paperwork with me, he can’t even talk to me about guns, and I should not be waiting his time!

Can you believe this? I was shocked! I should have immediately asked to speak to his manager, but this guy got me so angry, I had to walk away. Who the hell trains these people?

After cooling off (and getting in to an argument with my wife in the process, I tend to dump on her when I am pissed) I went over to talk to another sales guy. I told him I was looking for a few things, and I was from Jersey, and he will have to ship the handgun if I buy one. He asked me what I was looking for, and immediately pulled out the Ruger that I wanted. When I told him I will take it, he pulled a book from under the counter, found a copy of my local dealer’s license in the file, filed out a few papers, and I was good to go. Now this was more like it.

I then told him that I also need a specific shotgun. I was looking for a Mossberg 535 with 2 barrels, a smooth and a rifled one. He went in the back, brought out a sealed box, and pulled out exactly what I needed. Perfect! Then he told me that for long guns I need to do the NICS check at Cabela’s, and send me over to a row of computers they had setup next to the firearms counter. A very nice lady asked me to see my firearms card and ID, and told me since I was from NJ, she was very sorry, but I had to fill out an extra form. So I filled out the forms on the computer for PA, and a simple 1 page for NJ. She took my cell number and told me to walk around the store while she does my NICS check.

10 minutes later my phone rang. My NICS came back and I could pick up my shotgun. I want to move to PA! Oh, and NICS is only $2.

So besides some jerk, who was giving me a hard time for no reason, Cabela’s was awesome.

Congrats on the new purchases. Did you ever file a complaint about the first employee with the manager? You can still do that if you wanted to over the phone. I think it would be for the betterment of the store and the integrity of Cabelas.

Your lucky they would do the transfer. My buddy and I were there in January and they had a pistol he was looking for. He asked to have it transferred to his FFL and they told him because of new company policy they can't do transfers anymore. He ended up find one on A Montana store and over the phone they had no issues doing it. So maybe they changed policy again or they have a few crappy employees who don't want to be bothered with paper work.

I still get a kick out of people being excited about only paying a small amount for the NICS....when it is free and shouldn't have to cost you anything. So glad I'll be out of NJ in less than 2 months and back to tax free, no hassle, no fee firearms purchasing again.

I had an almost the same experience at cabelas before, but no yelling. They refused to sell me or do any business with me because I wanted a pistol that had a 15 rd mag. They keep saying 10 max....but whatever. I got it here in NJ local shop instead.

I go really a lot to Cabelas and know by face most of the gun counter people. Some of them are complete fudds, some just dumb. Most of them are nice and i shoo there because they provide much needed jobs in the area.

I ve had some similar experiences as above, but when i do i go to talk to management and let them know what happenned and why i shop there.

Next time go talk to Fred who runs the gun dept. He is always around.

And appologise to your wife with a nice dinner or gift. Tell her we said so at NJGF.

I have the same 535 and i love it.

I had an issue not too long ago in Cabelas also. I was in the middle of a purchase in the gun library and my wife was standing at the table. I was looking around while the salesman was filling out paperwork. My fid and DL was on the table as salesman was filling out paperwork.

Next thing I know, so chubby salesman comes over to chat my wife up, confuses the situation. Starts telling me that I can't buy the gun because it's not legal. Now, my wife and I both have FID's but this guy wouldn't listen. As I inform him that he is confused, he walks away for a moment.

Next another (senior) guy walks over because chubby guy tells him I'm trying to commit a straw purchase. As I inform him of what is going on, he looks over the paperwork and we're okay to proceed. Now I'm kinda furious that the guy got himself involved for no reason, made accusations and didn't man up to apologize. The salesman dealing with me, then says "hey, we don't have to sell to you if you cause problems etc.." I didn't shut my mouth but didn't get loud.

Immediately I asked for a MGR. I spoke, not yelled and stated that I was a loyal customer etc...explained the circumstance. The gun library closed so chubby wasn't there to apologize but I did get $100 off the gun price. I also got an apology from the store mgr, gun library mgr and the gun counter mgr.

I told him straight out that I am a customer. I expect to be treated in a respectable manner and not like a criminal. I told him I had $1000 in points with them, I was a signature card customer and was spending it all to get rid of them. They did me right in the end, but I will never forget the experience. You have to be on top of your game when you go there. Always ask for a Mgr when a problem arises.

The first thing I did is apologies to my wife!

I also wrote to Cabela's customer service, and got this joke of a response back:

"Thank you for your recent correspondence.

We are sorry to hear that. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We will inform the appropriate people.

On behalf of Cabela's, We sincerely apologize for the negative experience. Cabela's values your business and we look forward to putting this situation behind us and moving on to serving your future sporting needs in a much more appropriate manner."

Whatever....

I still get a kick out of people being excited about only paying a small amount for the NICS....when it is free and shouldn't have to cost you anything. So glad I'll be out of NJ in less than 2 months and back to tax free, no hassle, no fee firearms purchasing again.

Sorry but in PA it's not a NICS check, it's a PICS check (PA State Police) and yeah they charge $2. Most dealers usually add on another 2 or 3 bucks. We hate it but we haven't been able to get Harrisburg to get rid of it (even though it costs the state millions ever year).

To the OP, sorry to hear you had an issue over here. You should have gotten the manager right away and complained as corporate could care less. We had an issue with a person we knew in that very store where the person that checks in handguns swept him 3 times with a loaded revolver. Our friend got the manager and the person was immediately reassigned to an area where they never touched guns again.