MonmouthShooter

Rifle suggestion, anyone?

30-06.

Savage 110 or Winchester 70

You can find "Post 64" Winchester Model 70s used for decent prices. They are good rifles which got a bum rap because after 1964 they don't have controlled feed. So what - neither does the Savage or the Remington.

I'm getting leery at buying a brand new Remington. The Freedom Group is cutting corners on quality. So if you are going for new, I say go for the Savage.

How about a CZ 527 carbine ? I was thinking thinking about getting this one as my first rifle. Anyone have any input on this gun? If I got one it would be the 7.62x39 cal but they are impossible to find. The .223 are much easier to come by.

I just got one of each of those CZ's, too sick to take them out and shoot them. Heck, I haven't even bothered to open the boxes. Have a new Browning 7mm Mag sitting with them too. Maybe this weekend I'll take a peek at them.

I just got one of each of those CZ's, too sick to take them out and shoot them. Heck, I haven't even bothered to open the boxes. Have a new Browning 7mm Mag sitting with them too. Maybe this weekend I'll take a peek at them.

I would be happy to give one a good home.lol

When and where did you find the CZ's? How much did you pay?

I can find them on Gun broker but they are expensive.

The .223 CZ is easy to find. The 7.62x39 was tough. Saw one on GB, waited a few minutes to think about it, someone grabbed it while I was deciding. Two weeks later I saw another one and grabbed it right away. I'll have to check on what I paid for them.

The .223 CZ is easy to find. The 7.62x39 was tough. Saw one on GB, waited a few minutes to think about it, someone grabbed it while I was deciding. Two weeks later I saw another one and grabbed it right away. I'll have to check on what I paid for them.

Same here. I see the .223 quite often. Not so many 7.62x39 and when you see them they are pricey.

Well, I finally unboxed the two CZ's last night, very nice little carbines. Hopefully I will find time to take them for a ride to the range. The Browning X-Bolt I got is also a very nice rifle.

I think we can all agree that you have to many rifles. Poor things have been neglected. I will be glad to take a CZ off your hands free of charge. :nyam:

The 06 and the 308 are almost the same. The 308 has a little less recoil. If you are a hunter the 06 can be used on larger game and shoot a slight bit flatter at longer distances, but either will do the job. Shorter stroke on the 308. The differences are negligible.

The 06 and the 308 are almost the same. The 308 has a little less recoil. If you are a hunter the 06 can be used on larger game and shoot a slight bit flatter at longer distances, but either will do the job. Shorter stroke on the 308. The differences are negligible.

Thanks!

I don't really know but I've heard the .308 has one the of the flattest trajectories that exists.

I'm pretty sure the 6mm has the flattest with the 270 not far behind in the cartridge size we're discussing. there are a lot of flat shooting cartridges, 243, 25-06, 6.5x55, 7mm-08, 308, 270, 30-06, & 7mm Mag just to name a few. The 308 is a flat shooting cartridge, and there are people who know how to make the hit targets at 1000m+. But just an example; a 308 with a 200yd zero will drop approx 9'' at 300yds and a 270 with a 200yd zero will drop only approx 6",  both with a 150gr bullet. The 30-06 is only a little better than the 308. If you are really interested in this stuff you can find it in the gun digest.

After all the discussion, Friday I took a ride to Cabelas (I was not about to wait 3 weeks for NICS in NJ!).  Out of the list of suggestions, they had the Savage 111 (with the Nikon 3-9/40 scope) in stock.  So now I am a proud owner of a Savage .308 rifle!

I took it out to Range 14 yesterday, and took a few shots.  All I can say is that I need to work on my shooting :(  With my target at only 100 yards, I was able to hit a 3 shots in a 1" group, and the rest were all over the place, some missing the target altogether.

This will take lots of practice...

PS:  While at Cabelas, I also picked up a Ruger 10/22 takedown for the kids to shoot.  They had a blast with it yesterday!

After all the discussion, Friday I took a ride to Cabelas (I was not about to wait 3 weeks for NICS in NJ!). Out of the list of suggestions, they had the Savage 111 (with the Nikon 3-9/40 scope) in stock. So now I am a proud owner of a Savage .308 rifle!

I took it out to Range 14 yesterday, and took a few shots. All I can say is that I need to work on my shooting :( With my target at only 100 yards, I was able to hit a 3 shots in a 1" group, and the rest were all over the place, some missing the target altogether.

PS: While at Cabelas, I also picked up a Ruger 10/22 takedown for the kids to shoot. They had a blast with it yesterday!

Good buy! Come up to efga and let me shoot it

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

Congrats on the Savage! You might want to try a few different brands and weights of ammo. Every rifle has it's own personality when it comes to ammo. Shoot 3 to 5 shot groups with each to see which gives you the best groups. Remember to shoot off of a rest and sand bag it. First you need to see what the gun will do and then you have to see what you can do with the gun.

I finally took my CZ's out today. Was shooting from 50 yards both sitting and standing, no rests. I was surprised on how easy they were to acquire the target with, really nice iron sights on these guns. The .223 version was nice, just enough kick to let you know you're firing the gun, but not enough to ever bother you. The 7.62 version has a much stouter kick, I liked it more for that reason, BUT, the cheap steel cased surplus ammo was a royal PITA to eject! I had to really pull the bolt back very quickly to make sure it ejected the casing. If I pulled it back slowly like the .223 version, wow, what a PITA!

I like the Savage 10 FCM Scout bolt-action in .308 for the distances we have to work with in NJ. 

After all the discussion, Friday I took a ride to Cabelas (I was not about to wait 3 weeks for NICS in NJ!).  Out of the list of suggestions, they had the Savage 111 (with the Nikon 3-9/40 scope) in stock.  So now I am a proud owner of a Savage .308 rifle!

I took it out to Range 14 yesterday, and took a few shots.  All I can say is that I need to work on my shooting :(  With my target at only 100 yards, I was able to hit a 3 shots in a 1" group, and the rest were all over the place, some missing the target altogether.

PS:  While at Cabelas, I also picked up a Ruger 10/22 takedown for the kids to shoot.  They had a blast with it yesterday!

Congrads on your recent purchase of the Savage. I too own a Savage and I'm very, very pleased with it. Its a varmint/target rifle, model 12BVSS in 22-250 so not the same category as your hunting rifle but their qaulity and accuracy carries through all the different models, regardless of price. I've actually eyed up that same model Savage you purchased in .243 Winchester and almost pulled the trigger on it. Don't get discouraged by your first time out with it. It takes practice and a little time to get comfortable with a new rifle. 

Congrats on the Savage! You might want to try a few different brands and weights of ammo. Every rifle has it's own personality when it comes to ammo. Shoot 3 to 5 shot groups with each to see which gives you the best groups. Remember to shoot off of a rest and sand bag it. First you need to see what the gun will do and then you have to see what you can do with the gun.

Good, sound advice from Hare Trigger here. Different guns and barrels prefer different bullet types and different bullet weights. Buy a couple different boxes if you can, try 3 or 4 different brands in different bullet weights. Definitely do everything you can to take human error out of the equation when you're sighting it in or testing factory loads. Use a front and a rear rest. I prefer a front tripod rest and a rear bag of some sort. I have two diff rear bags depending on the height I need, one short and one taller. Also you said you shot "only" at 100 yards. Did you zero the rifle before you took the shots out that far? I've found that starting at 25 yards and working up to 100 is the best way to zero or sight in any rifle. If your not doing well at 100 yards step back to 25 and start again. 

I don't consider myself an expert on anything. But here's something that works for me that may help you, give it a try you're next time at the range. Get into a comfortable shooting position with the rifle on the rests, loaded ready to fire, finger off the trigger, weapon on safe.  Position the rifle on the rests so that the crosshairs on the scope are right on the bullseye WITHOUT putting pressure on the rifle. Then apply pressure to your shoulder, not too much, just enough. I've found that being gentle is better than putting a death grip on the rifle. Get a good cheek weld. Make sure your crosshairs are still on target. Close your eyes. Take 2 or 3 good breaths. Open your eyes. If your crosshairs are still on the bull or close to it you're relaxed enough and ready to start shooting. If you're way off and your sights have drifted off the bull rinse and repeat the process till you're relaxed. Thats just an exercise I do at the range to prepare myself and I find it works well for me. Don't be afraid to quit when you get fatigued or discouraged either. Nothing worse than wasting ammo when you know you're not shooting well or you're too exhausted or frustrated to concentrate. Another thing I've found that helps is bring your favorite 22 with you on the rifle range. Set up a target at 25 or 50 yards so that in between you're centerfire groups/sight in (while barrel's cooling) you can stay warmed up and have some fun. Hope this helps and enjoy you're new boom stick. 

With my target at only 100 yards, I was able to hit a 3 shots in a 1" group, and the rest were all over the place, some missing the target altogether.

To be able to shoot a three shot MOA group once and then miss the paper altogether, may be the rifle, not you. More specifically, check all the mounts and screws on the scopes rings and bases. You may find that your initial foray at the range has caused some of these to back out slightly. While I would never recommend Loc-tite, or similar thread locker for ring screws, some purple Loc-tite on the base screws is not a bad idea.

Have fun and real men shoot five shot groups :icon_mrgreen:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

What's the rifle for?

if it's not for serious target work why not pick up a piece of history?

krag jorgensen

Mauser

Mosin Nagant

Arisaka

Enfield

Carcano

All awesome rifles that are really fun to shoot and interesting pieces of history...

Congrads on your recent purchase of the Savage. I too own a Savage and I'm very, very pleased with it. Its a varmint/target rifle, model 12BVSS in 22-250 so not the same category as your hunting rifle but their qaulity and accuracy carries through all the different models, regardless of price. I've actually eyed up that same model Savage you purchased in .243 Winchester and almost pulled the trigger on it. Don't get discouraged by your first time out with it. It takes practice and a little time to get comfortable with a new rifle. 

Good, sound advice from Hare Trigger here. Different guns and barrels prefer different bullet types and different bullet weights. Buy a couple different boxes if you can, try 3 or 4 different brands in different bullet weights. Definitely do everything you can to take human error out of the equation when you're sighting it in or testing factory loads. Use a front and a rear rest. I prefer a front tripod rest and a rear bag of some sort. I have two diff rear bags depending on the height I need, one short and one taller. Also you said you shot "only" at 100 yards. Did you zero the rifle before you took the shots out that far? I've found that starting at 25 yards and working up to 100 is the best way to zero or sight in any rifle. If your not doing well at 100 yards step back to 25 and start again. 

I don't consider myself an expert on anything. But here's something that works for me that may help you, give it a try you're next time at the range. Get into a comfortable shooting position with the rifle on the rests, loaded ready to fire, finger off the trigger, weapon on safe.  Position the rifle on the rests so that the crosshairs on the scope are right on the bullseye WITHOUT putting pressure on the rifle. Then apply pressure to your shoulder, not too much, just enough. I've found that being gentle is better than putting a death grip on the rifle. Get a good cheek weld. Make sure your crosshairs are still on target. Close your eyes. Take 2 or 3 good breaths. Open your eyes. If your crosshairs are still on the bull or close to it you're relaxed enough and ready to start shooting. If you're way off and your sights have drifted off the bull rinse and repeat the process till you're relaxed. Thats just an exercise I do at the range to prepare myself and I find it works well for me. Don't be afraid to quit when you get fatigued or discouraged either. Nothing worse than wasting ammo when you know you're not shooting well or you're too exhausted or frustrated to concentrate. Another thing I've found that helps is bring your favorite 22 with you on the rifle range. Set up a target at 25 or 50 yards so that in between you're centerfire groups/sight in (while barrel's cooling) you can stay warmed up and have some fun. Hope this helps and enjoy you're new boom stick. 

Excellent advice all the way around....especially the part about calling it a day. There will be days where the conditions and your body will not cooperate. There's nothing more frustrating than sending group after group down range with less than satisfactory results.

Also....work to squeeze the trigger only after you've exhaled...don't hold your breath.