MonmouthShooter

Went to Range 14 for the first time

Ive been going to R14 for about 2.5 years now.  Something deffinatly changed over the last year and they have become a lot more Nazi about the "rules" Having to place steel targets at only the 200yard line is abit annoying but on the other hand, I use steel for shooting at as long a distance as I can so I would more than likely place it at 200yards anyway. Making sure the tarket swings is annoying as well, they need a serious lesson in physics if they think bullet fragments will travel 200yards back to the firing line if the piece of steel does not sway.  All of a sudden this year they started asking about my magazines and if the stocks were pinned... never did that before.  I have no problem with that but its the first time, at any range I was asked that, and being asked every cease fire is a bit excessive.

having said that, it is without a doubt the best bang for the buck.  I would love it if it was 500 or 600 yards, but hey, it is what it is.

Old Bridge is the way to go - especially since you're in EB. The only downsides are the initial outlay of money and the work hour requirement. OBRPC has a 25 yard Indoor range that's accessible 24 hours a day. The outdoor range has a sporting clay range, nice open pits and a 100 yard covered range.

I live in EB, and would rather drive to R14.

OBRPC has a nice facility for sure, but it's half the distance of R14.  If you want to practice weapon manipulation and shooting on the move, there is no better place than a private club for sure.

Ever since OBPRC prohibited training with those evil black rifles on their premises, they can F-Off.  I would never give a dime of my money to them.

My concern with Old Bridge is the club rents the land for the outdoor range. If the landowner sells the land or decides they don't want a range on their property then all you are left with is the indoor range.

Who is John Galt?

I am so excited I figured out how to change my signature.

Ive been going to R14 for about 2.5 years now.  Something deffinatly changed over the last year and they have become a lot more Nazi about the "rules" Having to place steel targets at only the 200yard line is abit annoying but on the other hand, I use steel for shooting at as long a distance as I can so I would more than likely place it at 200yards anyway. Making sure the tarket swings is annoying as well, they need a serious lesson in physics if they think bullet fragments will travel 200yards back to the firing line if the piece of steel does not sway.  All of a sudden this year they started asking about my magazines and if the stocks were pinned... never did that before.  I have no problem with that but its the first time, at any range I was asked that, and being asked every cease fire is a bit excessive.

having said that, it is without a doubt the best bang for the buck.  I would love it if it was 500 or 600 yards, but hey, it is what it is.

OBRPC has a nice facility for sure, but it's half the distance of R14.  If you want to practice weapon manipulation and shooting on the move, there is no better place than a private club for sure.

Ever since OBPRC prohibited training with those evil black rifles on their premises, they can F-Off.  I would never give a dime of my money to them.

Not quite sure exactly what you're referring to.  Lots of members use AR's, carbines, etc.  We also promote our High Power League, and are a CMP approved Club.  And run a 3-Gun Match every-so-often.

So what are you saying here??  Please explain.

Thanks!

Dave

Not quite sure exactly what you're referring to.  Lots of members use AR's, carbines, etc.  We also promote our High Power League, and are a CMP approved Club.  And run a 3-Gun Match every-so-often.

So what are you saying here??  Please explain.

Thanks!

Dave

not my story to tell.  sorry.

Never said members could not use ARs at the club... I am talking about training, not practice.

not my story to tell.  sorry.

Never said members could not use ARs at the club... I am talking about training, not practice.

If you're referring to a certain Tactical Carbine Class that mostly a bunch of "outsiders" aka Non-Members attended, thereby closing the Range to dues-paying Members, here's my take:

Old Bridge is a Private Club (as you've mentioned), and is primarily interested in running a SAFE operation for the use of and to the benefit of it's MEMBERS.  Whether or not to close a Pit or several Pits is the responsibility of and under the sole direction of the Board of Trustees.  IF enough Members approach the Board with a request to hire an outside Instructor to teach at our Club, the Board looks at the Club Calendar with an eye on making sure that consecutive weekends NOT be scheduled with special events that most Members won't / can't attend.  This leaves our MEMBERS a chance to actually practice on their days off, which is only right.  Whether or not Non-Members are inconvenienced because of this Policy is of little consequence when the scheduling of outside Instructors is under consideration, and quite frankly, sometimes due to scheduling conflicts or other things that pop-up, not every request can be given the O-K to be held.  Being a former Board Member, I know this first-hand.

If my memory serves correct, one of our Board Members attended one of these day-long Classes as a "Student".  And went through a CASE (500, +or- rounds) of .223 as well as a few boxes of pistol ammo.  With today's price and availability of ammo, most Old Bridge Members couldn't afford to participate in such an endeavor, and those that could would be scrambling to locate ammo at "all-cost"....

Sorry if my business-like response seems a little "terse", but typing that a Club "can go F-Off" doesn't lend itself to putting said author in a good light.

Dave

I attended one of the "Evil Black Rifle" training classes at OBRPC... It was generally frowned upon to be all "Tacticooled out" - wearing all of my camo gear, etc... but that wasn't specified until the day of and it was too late.  It also did not fully close down the outdoor range - there was a steel match going on at the same time, as well as stuff on the 100 yard and shotgun ranges.

Nick you are correct, it didn't close the entire range down--for the second time it was held.  I'm not quite sure about the first.  On the other hand, an entire line of LOUD carbines is enough to make shot timers go berserk and rattle your brains if you're trying to concentrate while using an adjoining Pit or teaching your kids how to shoot a .22.....I could hear the training from Krispy Pizza clean across Rt. 516, so that Condo Community must have been getting an "ear full" (maybe the Board is also concerned about THAT?).

As to what to wear, you weren't the only Dude all Tacticooled-up if I remember correctly, lol!  And I saw very few OB Members on the Firing Line at the time you were there....

It's all taken into consideration when it comes time to approve a special event.

I attended one of the "Evil Black Rifle" training classes at OBRPC... It was generally frowned upon to be all "Tacticooled out" - wearing all of my camo gear, etc... but that wasn't specified until the day of and it was too late.  It also did not fully close down the outdoor range - there was a steel match going on at the same time, as well as stuff on the 100 yard and shotgun ranges.

+1.  I loved the edict that atendees could not wear anything camo was a bit silly.

Smokin,

I stand by what I said, just like OBRPC does not want black rifle training was a bit of an F-Off to a large portion of the firearm owning community.

This is what sucks about the firearms comminity in my opinion, instead of uniting because we are all enthusiasts, be it duck or deer hunters, Mil/LEO, benchrest... whatever it may be, we pick camps and ostracise the other group.  Its silly.

+1.  I loved the edict that atendees could not wear anything camo was a bit silly.

Smokin,

I stand by what I said, just like OBRPC does not want black rifle training was a bit of an F-Off to a large portion of the firearm owning community.

This is what sucks about the firearms comminity in my opinion, instead of uniting because we are all enthusiasts, be it duck or deer hunters, Mil/LEO, benchrest... whatever it may be, we pick camps and ostracise the other group.  Its silly.

What large portion are you talking about?  Certainly NOT our Members!  We exist to provide a safe place to shoot for our Members, not to provide a venue for YOU or the entire firearms owning community that are too fricken CHEAP to step-up and be a dues-paying Member!  Your childish rant holds no water!  Not holding a training session that prevents our Members from shooting their guns is no problem as far as I'm concerned.  The Club didn't tell ANYBODY to go "F-Off", in fact we held both this platform as well as a Tactical Shotgun Class.  Those Members that wanted it and showed-up got what they asked for, as it should be.  We're NOT in business to provide a free place to shoot "for the firearm owning community".  If you ever want to see another one, step-up and join (so YOU can go in front of the Board and request a date for one) instead of whining like brat who doesn't get his way.......and while you're doing it, learn how to say you're sorry for being an A-Hole, since there's NO big line of others clamoring to be in your place asking for the date!

Been there for 3 years.. (time to renew).. Never had any issues.. Last time out the KID (looking) range officer asked about my 10 round 54R VEPR mag.. (but that thing looks like a 30, so I couldn't blame him).. I showed him how it holds 10..  He was in AWE by how big the mag looked.. but only held 10.. LoL

Nobody has ever asked me about pinned stock(s).. and I've had alot of them..

The timeouts are kinda annoying.. like every 18 minutes.. so you get like 40-45 minutes and not a full hour.. but the 200 yards is nice..

Its way better than 100 yards and sitting only at say Wicens over in PA.. and the RO trying to critique you and help you.. LoL

The Ft Dix range used to be a nice place until 2005/6 or so. Then came a lot of BS and many major safety problems after that. I saw it first hand and will never go back. They stopped letting you have fun.

Well, *here's* something that you'll never see at another range:

Yesterday around lunchtime at Range 14, they took everyone off the pistol range.  Someone had found an unexploded "bazooka" round, and it had to be disposed of.  One quick "BAM!," a little concussion, and a big pillar of smoke.  Then everything back to normal.  Fun fun fun! :)

Yesterday around lunchtime at Range 14, they took everyone off the pistol range. Someone had found an unexploded "bazooka" round, and it had to be disposed of. One quick "BAM!," a little concussion, and a big pillar of smoke. Then everything back to normal. Fun fun fun! :)

Whoa! Where was it, downrange somewhere?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yesterday around lunchtime at Range 14, they took everyone off the pistol range. Someone had found an unexploded "bazooka" round, and it had to be disposed of. One quick "BAM!," a little concussion, and a big pillar of smoke. Then everything back to normal. Fun fun fun! :)

I was there for that. Had no idea what it was. Pretty cool.

Whoa! Where was it, downrange somewhere?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Actually, no.  It was immediately to the left of port A.  Couldn't have been more than ten yards away if you had been at port A.  Pretty exciting!  I was at rifle port 1 and it was a pretty good thump.  

Went to Range 14 for the first time today with my nephew and had a blast! That place is awesome. All super nice people that work there and helpful. Cant beat it for the price. Only thing that stinks is the hours. Cant wait to see what the weekend crowd is like.

-Scott

Scott, was there today also. Got there before 1pm and got a slot right away. The line got crazy by 1:15. I was there last weekend on Saturday. I got there about 11:00, got a bench by 11:15 and there were plenty of benches open. That doesn't mean it will be that way this or any other weekend. That place can get crowded real quick. You're right about the hours. A few people were talking about that while we were waiting for them to open up. It's a good place to shoot and you can't really beat the price. There are some good people working there but like anyplace else, some can be a PITA. Range guy walking the line today was pretty good with everyone.

Scott, was there today also. Got there before 1pm and got a slot right away. The line got crazy by 1:15. I was there last weekend on Saturday. I got there about 11:00, got a bench by 11:15 and there were plenty of benches open. That doesn't mean it will be that way this or any other weekend. That place can get crowded real quick. You're right about the hours. A few people were talking about that while we were waiting for them to open up. It's a good place to shoot and you can't really beat the price. There are some good people working there but like anyplace else, some can be a PITA. Range guy walking the line today was pretty good with everyone.

Range Officer yesterday was cool. Only asked once about my AR mags to make sure they were pinned. We got there around 630. Wasnt overly crowded at all. We paid and got right on the firing line. I was definitely impressed with the range and the employees. Looking foward to returning again very soon. Now if I could only find some ammo....lol

-Scott

Range Officer yesterday was cool. Only asked once about my AR mags to make sure they were pinned. We got there around 630. Wasnt overly crowded at all. We paid and got right on the firing line. I was definitely impressed with the range and the employees. Looking foward to returning again very soon. Now if I could only find some ammo....lol

-Scott

He shouldn't ask at all.

I have ever been asked about mag capacity, but that being said, it will probably happen now. I thought that most ranges, public or private, usually have something in their rules regarding only using firearms which are legal in NJ. Not that I agree with the ridiculous laws in this state, but if that is true, wouldn't they be able to ask the question of capacity?

It's all in the bucks, Folks.

Dix 14 is $60 plus an hourly fee for  limited hours, crappy rules and non continuous shooting. And I like it there.

SJRPC and CJRPC for example are $MANYHUNDREDBUCKS for daily operation, less shooting limitations, 300yds., etc.

I heard somebody say 'you get what you pay for'. And I am too cheap. LOL.