Parker

1936 - LASD Pistol Team

That was really interesting. Does any one know what that thing that waved in front of the target on the "combat range" was? At first I though it was a target they were suppose to hit but it seemed to move way to fast to be hit (at least by your average cop/shooter).

It was really cool seeing that right there they would reload the spent casings using the lead collected from the bullet catchers. I wonder if any ranges still do that? Even though most ammo is jacketed because lead has a much lower melting point you could separate it relativity easily.

That was really interesting. Does any one know what that thing that waved in front of the target on the "combat range" was? At first I though it was a target they were suppose to hit but it seemed to move way to fast to be hit (at least by your average cop/shooter).

I believe that was a visual indicator to let the trainee know when to shoot similar to the turning and reactive targets we have today.

Most ranges now use some type of audible stimulus to tell you when to fire - a timer beep, a whistle or command. That is great and convenient for the range staff, and fine for competition and target shooting, but falls short when teaching "combat" or "gun fighting" skills.

How many shootings are actually started by an audible indicator? It is generally a visual indicator that lets the shooter on the reaction side of the gunfight know it is on. You respond to motion and the visual vereification of the presence or absence of a threat.

It was also cool seeing the "Turnipseed" technique in that video (that unbalanced one foot off the ground as you "fall" forward and shoot). I had heard about it but had never really seen it before.

We have come a long was with a lot of things, but those guys started the ball rolling to get what we have now.

Thanks for posting!