ogfarmer

Any members currently or formally NC resident?

Any members currently or formally NC residents?

Just got some bad news, but also good news. Looks as if someone is seriosly interested in our farm. Hopefully we do not accept the offer because my family has given me a ultimatium that I have to move out within 2 weeks of them signing the contract.

If this happens it does not give me much time at all to find a place to live. I will also be forced to sell everything I own in order to get out in their time frame. I feel I will have to move out of state because I really can't afford to live here any longer if on my own. I also have a dog which makes it really hard to rent. I have small amount of money saved but do not want to waste it renting here, because I cannot afford to rent on my own.

I feel that I have to move to a free state, to avoid having to change address and all the hassal of the FID. I am considering NC and was wondering what its like down there. I have a friend there and could help me find a place. He's not a shooter :( I see that NC has a similar system as ours with P2P. So my question is hows NC legislation latley? I joined their version of NJGF and started posting there.

I am also looking @ Kentucky, but this scares me cause I know no one and know nothing of the area. But land is dirt cheap.

I also am considering PA but they seem to be gearing up to be under same attacks we are. And its not any cheaper to live there than here.

I just read NC handgun P2P procedure

I just read the HG requirements and like it works like ours but you can only get 1 permit at a time (good for 5 years) and if you want another HG you have to define why you need more than one. I wonder how loose this is and if it varies from county 2 county

I had a co-worker that moved to NC this year. He was a lifelong NJ resident(50 years).

He moved to the Greensboro area but had a job lined up before he went. It took him about 6 months to get his house sold and about 3 months to find a job in NC. He's a skilled industrial Mechanic with 30 years on the job. He took a bit of a wage cut but the cost of living in lower, so overall, he's doing pretty well. There are jobs in the Greensboro area.

The problem is that NC is turning into NJ as people from here are fleeing high taxes, congestion and bad government. I predict that in 50 years there won't be any difference between the two states except the climate as all the people moving from here will demand services and more government that they had fled here and re-create NJ there.

My step brother lives in Kentucky. It's cheap because there aren't that many jobs. If you have some specific skills, you can probably get something in and around Louisville. If you move to the country, the prospects are pretty dim. This is not to say rule it out, but it's a definite lifestyle change.

Not much help, I know.

I just read NC handgun P2P procedure

I just read the HG requirements and like it works like ours but you can only get 1 permit at a time (good for 5 years) and if you want another HG you have to define why you need more than one. I wonder how loose this is and if it varies from county 2 county

Tough situation to be in definitely but could be a really good opportunity for you.

We are moving to SC right outside of Charlotte in July. What parts of NC would you consider? While NC does have a similar permit process if you get a CCW there, which is common, then you are not bound by those restrictions and do not need a permit from what I have been told by other NC residents.

I don't know if what Malsua stated is necessarily true regarding NC turning I to NJ but it is true that a good portion of Northeasterners have moved to the Carolinas and others consider an option. Remember, if people can't find work them they aren't moving there. Raleigh-Durham is a big technology, research and even pharma triangle. Charlotte has a big banking industry and lots of manufacturing type of employment. We evaluated High Rock but its a little too far from civilization and I need somewhat of a finance district for work. Luckily my company is allowing me to move down and work out of Charlotte.

What type of skills do you have? What do you want to do with your life? Take some time to think it over and research areas you'd consider.

Good luck in your next chapter!

I have two BILs who grew up in NJ and are retired in NC.

Just yesterday I printed up a description of a house just put up for sale down the street from one BIL, for my wife's consideration.

Over the last 20 years, the NC counties where all the "Damn Yankees" retire have been trending to vote more reliably conservative than the central counties where the old North Carolinians live.

presidential-election-results-us-nc-1996-2012.png

Just about every conversation that involves moving out of state recently has included the Carolina's. I have 4 associates who have already moved and another 2 on the way.For the younger NJ residents it offers a way to afford a decent house,job,weather and laid back atmosphere that is so prevalent in the south while still a relative easy drive to visit family and friends still stuck in NJ.

I wouldn't mind NC at all. Google, Apple and others are down there. I work in tech and engineering so I'd be right at home.

But as far as 2A goes, Arizona seems attractive. Jan Brewer just signed into law a bill that requires gun buyback guns to be resold and not melted down and destroyed as they are here. They are actually strengthening gun rights there, not whittling them away. Don't forget that Sheriff Joe is running the show in Maricopa county as well.

The only thing I'd hate are scorpions. A friend of mind is in Phoenix, and man, those damn things are EVERYWHERE. They show up in your house like roaches and carpenter ants do in NJ.

The other bad thing is that being so close to the Mexican border the place is overrun by illegals...

Thanks for the replys....

Well I'm forty years old, so what to do with my life has pretty much been done...

I have been a farmer with my own business. Before that I did alot of labor jobs. I dont mind living in the country @ all, I lived in NE Kingdom of Vermont for 5 years in my late 20's. I would go back there in a heart beat but the long winters I cannot do anymore. Living there requires a young and fit me, not the older and beat up me. Its a demanding lifestyle. I have a spinal injury that limits my physical abilites these days. So alot of jobs that are out there I can no longer do.

I really like Kentucky, lands extremely cheap but I know absolutely no one. And finding a partime job would be tough. I also considered Arizona, Texas etc... but I do not want to be anywhere near the border. Family lives in Albuqeurque and they say its not like it used to be. And I hate the intense heat. I wanna be somewhere in the middle climate wise.

This sucks to hear Jon. I wish you the best hopefully you do something that works out for you. I was actually planning on looking at the Carolina's as where I want to spend my life or a portion of it. Just need to get out of my parents house right now! Damn rental prices in nj

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

This sucks to hear Jon. I wish you the best hopefully you do something that works out for you. I was actually planning on looking at the Carolina's as where I want to spend my life or a portion of it. Just need to get out of my parents house right now! Damn rental prices in nj

To quote "The Boss" You have to get out while you're young. I moved from Ohio when I was 28. Had I waited much longer I probably would have owned a house and i'd still be there. Leave now before you've got any anchors attached.

To quote "The Boss" You have to get out while you're young. I moved from Ohio when I was 28. Had I waited much longer I probably would have owned a house and i'd still be there. Leave now before you've got any anchors attached.

I'm only 20 so I have a ways to go but yes I'd like to be established on my own in the next 5-8 years hopefully not in this state. I already pay rent to live at home but I can't get a place by myself and my friends aren't ready to take the step with me

About NC... I lived there for a couple years, and some slightly incorrect information here regarding the process of pistol purchases in NC. By State Law, handguns must be purchased under permit, or alternatively, may be purchased by a resident CCW holder without permit. Each permit is good for 5 years and costs $5. Now it gets tricky... Under NC Law, there is no prescribed limit to the number of permits that can be applied for, BUT the State is perfectly ok with leaving the determination of an appropriate number of permits for any individual per application and/or permits per year up to the County Sheriff. As such it varies FAR and WIDE!!! Some counties you may apply for 3 or 5 permits at a time and then more after 30 days, some just 1 permit at a time and no more till you use it, other counties you cannot obtain more than 5 permits in a year! There's an underlying reason, in that the permits in NC technically can be accepted by an FFL for gun transfer without a NICS (their system was adjudged equivalent - that's pretty wild considering the 5 year valid span - but it's true, and now let me blow your mind - NJ's P2Ps were also adjudged the same equivalency but NJ decided belt, suspenders, and velcro approach). So, this is why firearms enthusiasts get their resident CCW because once you do, you can purchase freely any number of handguns you wish (and you also don't need a NICS with an NC CCW - most FFLs these days run anyway). I had just received my resident CCW, and was promptly transferred out of the State for my job.

For the younger NJ residents it offers a way to afford a decent house,job,weather and laid back atmosphere that is so prevalent in the south while still a relative easy drive to visit family and friends still stuck in NJ.

I couldnt have said it better and applaud this post! For us this is exactly why we're moving (amongst other reasons but these being major factors) to South Carolina. For young NJ citizens, especially those with a family, it's just damn near impossible to afford to live here.

And ryan_j, I would research AZ a WHOLE LOT before you decide to move there. I used to live there back in 2001-2004 and it was a MUCH different place than it is now. Phoenix and the surrounding areas are chock full of illegals, and there's a lot of criminal activity in those areas now and has gotten a lot worse. The cartels have made their presence there also. I still have a few friends that stayed out there and they tell me it's gotten a lot worse. Just food for though.