Jcddefreese

Next 1911 purchase

I've caught the 1911 bug. While I am waiting for my OGAM period to run, I figured I can plan my next 1911 purchase. I have an STI Spartan and a Colt Series 70. I am looking for a "step up" from these. budget is around $1500-2000. I would like it in .45 acp and it does not need to be a new pistol.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

another vote for the Les Baer 1911.

Or you can send your Colt 1911 70 Series to the Colt Custom Shop for the "tactical package"

COLT Tactical Package – Includes action tuning plus complete dehorn; replace grip safety with Smith and Alexander or Ed Brown with/without palm swell; replace safety with strong side or ambidextrous tactical safety; checker front strap (20 or 25 lpi); enhance cut front strap; install flat checkered mainspring housing (20 or 25 lpi); bevel magazine well; tune trigger; install Novak night sights. Complete refinish in customer’s choice of available Colt finishes.>>>$895

I agree with BlueLineFish!

Just picked up a slightly used black TRP from the Heritage Guild of Branchburg. I'm very happy with the purchase, this is my first 1911. I was going to get the Remington R1 1911 enhanced in stainless until I saw the TRP at HGB.

Did some homework on it, went back and purchased it. I have never shot a 1911 before and I'm not that good of a shot with my PX4 Storm in .45 cal. Went to the range set the target out to 10 yards and I was in the 10 and 9 ring all day, love it :maninlove:.

Oh yea the gun came with the factory grips and a set of VZ grips also, I do not think the gun is broken in yet. It very hard to rack the slide.

Check out OIl The Gun on youtube

Also, read the quote on the back of his tee shirt, love it!!!!

Thanks everyone! This has been great. Yes, I want to upgrade. I am fine with getting a used pistol, so the Ed Browns, Les Baers and Wilson Combats may not be completely out of reach. (Anyone selling? :-) )

Still have 3 weeks on OGAM so I have time to sort through all the advice. I don't want to go for a complete custom job because I don't know enough to make wise choices.

Keep the advice coming. It is really helpful and very appreciated!