daveleo911

First rifle purchase- opinions

Go check out slickguns.com and see what's on sale in the rifle section.

Grabagun has the Colt's LE6900 on sale for 875.93.  Shipping is 5.99 to your choice of FFL.  They have a whole slew of FFLs they have on file.  Just find your FFL of choice and select them.

This Colt is like the S&W M&P Sport.  It saves money by not including a dust cover or forward assist.  Review of it can be found on Youtube.

Go thru the whole video before you decide.  You don't have to pull the trigger on this one as there are quite a few on sale at the moment but this is just an example of a rifle below 1k.

Any upper with a rail will be optics ready.  You just have to select your choice of optic.

Yes, it's crossed my mind to get a S2000.  I wish they still made them new.

I would suggest you keep an eye out.  If you miss out on this one, don't worry.  There are tons of cheap ARs out there now.

Forgot to note that you need to factor in items to make it compliant.  You would need the FFL to pin the stock, remove flash hider, pin your choice of muzzle brake, and hopefully get you a NJ compliant 15 round mag.  This one does not have a bayonet lug but if you get one that has it, you would need it ground down.

Forgot to note that you need to factor in items to make it compliant. You would need the FFL to pin the stock, remove flash hider, pin your choice of muzzle brake, and hopefully get you a NJ compliant 15 round mag. This one does not have a bayonet lug but if you get one that has it, you would need it ground down.

Ya I made myself aware of the many insane laws... Pinning the stock............ Makes no sense

I think I just confused myself. I read one of the stickies that has a list of banned ARs in NJ. IE Bushmaster AR, Colt AR15 etc.

I thought you purchase any gun (30 round mag, unpinned stock, etc) have it shipped to an FFL and have it permanently altered to NJ standards, as long as it meets those standards before it is in the buyers possession.

So.... really unclear on this. I don't want to buy a gun on say gunbroker just to find out I can't have it regardless of the modifications that the FFL can make to it.

I think I just confused myself. I read one of the stickies that has a list of banned ARs in NJ. IE Bushmaster AR, Colt AR15 etc.

I thought you purchase any gun (30 round mag, unpinned stock, etc) have it shipped to an FFL and have it permanently altered to NJ standards, as long as it meets those standards before it is in the buyers possession.

So.... really unclear on this. I don't want to buy a gun on say gunbroker just to find out I can't have it regardless of the modifications that the FFL can make to it.

gun can be banned by

name 

OR 

evil features

I would end up buying the wrong parts, wasting money and having a non functioning gun lol

I'm really considering an SR556

no.. you wouldn't....

ever play with legos... the AR15 is obnoxiously simple to put together and work on.. 

I have done extensive work to both the AR and AK platforms.... both I learned about hands on.. 

some guns are complicated.. the AR15 is NOT one of them.. 

Ok I'll give it a try do the parts need to be shipped to an FFL? Is there a background check, do you register the gun?

The lower is the only part that needs to go to an FFL.... Everything else can ship right to your door... So you get the lower... Then take your time and build the gun to fit your needs

i just wanted to add to the thread even though i am still new and have no FID yet. I, like the OP, was very intent on searching for an AR in my price range so i would be ready to buy when i get my FID. As i started searching through parts online and a few forums I think I have decided to build my first. As Vlad said if you enjoy building anything hobby related in the least bit i think it can and will go smoothly. So many experienced people on this forum have reassured many , including myself that it is not as hard as we think. I have always built RC vehicles and many many different types of paintball markers. YOU CAN DO IT.....as I plan on building one as well evetually. Let me know how it goes man and GL on your decision

+1 on putting one together, its real easy and all you really need is some basic tools (screwdriver, hammer & punch set).  The first one I did took me about an hour to do and that was taking my time and double checking that I wasnt messing anything up.  Now I can do it in less than 30min easy.

The other upside about building one is that you get to pick what parts you use, instead of buying a complete rifle and then spending more money changing things to what you want (grips, handguards/rails, sights, stock, etc)

The other upside about building one is that you get to pick what parts you use, instead of buying a complete rifle and then spending more money changing things to what you want (grips, handguards/rails, sights, stock, etc)

+1million

I was terrified to build guns... what if I did it wrong.. what if I missed something.. a month or so later I had an angle grinder grinding plates off an AK receiver moving the fire control group....  some time after that I was cutting open AK magwells and relieving the trunion to accept AR mags..

since then I have modified quite a few guns and have yet to have an issue.. 

take your time.. and be sure about what you are doing.. if not sure ask..

but ARs are REALLY easy.. 

also don't just throw parts together... decide on a direction... is this a run and gun AR.. or something you plan to mostly shoot from a bench... the build should fit the application...

we will be more than happy to help answer questions.. recommend parts.. etc... 

err on the side of spending more than you want and getting better quality parts even if it takes you longer to finish it...

So I like the look of the Ruger SR556, mainly due to the rail around the barrel. If you could recommend parts based off of that, it would be great.

I like the carbine stock (mostly for looks, but also so I can ultimately choose its length).

I want a 16" in 5.56/223, it will be used pretty strictly for the range, or zombie apocalypse lol.

I want something reliable, that looks bad ass. I will ad a red dot sight or scope but also want the standard "A" shaped sight at the front of the barrel.

As you can tell, I am COMPLETELY new to this, (feels like when I first started getting to cars)

So I like the look of the Ruger SR556, mainly due to the rail around the barrel. If you could recommend parts based off of that, it would be great.

I like the carbine stock (mostly for looks, but also so I can ultimately choose its length).

I want a 16" in 5.56/223, it will be used pretty strictly for the range, or zombie apocalypse lol.

I want something reliable, that looks bad ass. I will ad a red dot sight or scope but also want the standard "A" shaped sight at the front of the barrel.

As you can tell, I am COMPLETELY new to this, (feels like when I first started getting to cars)

a rifle like this can be run in two ways... 

there is run and gun type setup...

this setup you would generally want the gun to be as light as possible.. the role of the gun is to make center mass hits quickly...  generally this type of setup is compact... utilizing a shorter barrel.. typically a red dot

then there is precision shooting..

this setup you would typically want a magnified scope... maybe a bipod.. possibly a free float tube... the idea being slightly longer distance more precise shooting... this would generally be a longer heavier barrel..

then there are a million variations in between.. 

my primary AR15 is a 14in barrel with a brake pinned on the end of it to get to 16in... I have a really light handguard on it that accepts rail sections for the pieces I need... I run a red dot... and a flashlight.. with a sling... I have a magnifier for the red dot in my chest rig... I mostly shoot the gun fast and close.. inside 50 yards.. but I have shot the gun out to 300 yards with a 3x magnifier.. hitting center mass sized steel.. this is my "go to carbine" it does everything I could ever need it to do... 

you have to decide what attributes of the gun are most important and how you will use this gun.. because that will dictate the parts...

this is an old picture of my AR before I changed out the rail system.. for you to get an idea..

arvlad1.jpg

a rifle like this can be run in two ways...

there is run and gun type setup...

this setup you would generally want the gun to be as light as possible.. the role of the gun is to make center mass hits quickly... generally this type of setup is compact... utilizing a shorter barrel.. typically a red dot

then there is precision shooting..

this setup you would typically want a magnified scope... maybe a bipod.. possibly a free float tube... the idea being slightly longer distance more precise shooting... this would generally be a longer heavier barrel..

then there are a million variations in between..

my primary AR15 is a 14in barrel with a brake pinned on the end of it to get to 16in... I have a really light handguard on it that accepts rail sections for the pieces I need... I run a red dot... and a flashlight.. with a sling... I have a magnifier for the red dot in my chest rig... I mostly shoot the gun fast and close.. inside 50 yards.. but I have shot the gun out to 300 yards with a 3x magnifier.. hitting center mass sized steel.. this is my "go to carbine" it does everything I could ever need it to do...

you have to decide what attributes of the gun are most important and how you will use this gun.. because that will dictate the parts...

this is an old picture of my AR before I changed out the rail system.. for you to get an idea..

arvlad1.jpg

That is basically how I envisioned the rifle that I would want to build. Can you send me the specifics?

That is basically how I envisioned the rifle that I would want to build. Can you send me the specifics?

AR15.com Lower

Magpul MIAD

Spike’s ST-T2 Buffer

Magpul CTR Stock

Magpul Pmag

Midwest Industries Gen II Rail

Larue index clips

Troy Rear DOA BUIS

Aimpoint PRO

Haley Thorntail G2 Mount

Surefire G2 light

Surefire UM tailcap

Surefire SR07

Spikes Tactical Upper 1:7 Twist 5.56 Mid-Length Gas System 14.5in Barrel

Spikes Tactical Dyna Comp Muzzle Brake (Permanently Attached)

after this picture was taken I upgraded the trigger (which is a must) and switched rail systems... but that is a basic list of what is on the gun.. 

AR15.com Lower

Magpul MIAD

Spike’s ST-T2 Buffer

Magpul CTR Stock

Magpul Pmag

Midwest Industries Gen II Rail

Larue index clips

Troy Rear DOA BUIS

Aimpoint PRO

Haley Thorntail G2 Mount

Surefire G2 light

Surefire UM tailcap

Surefire SR07

Spikes Tactical Upper 1:7 Twist 5.56 Mid-Length Gas System 14.5in Barrel

Spikes Tactical Dyna Comp Muzzle Brake (Permanently Attached)

after this picture was taken I upgraded the trigger (which is a must) and switched rail systems... but that is a basic list of what is on the gun.. 

Cost estimate to do all of this?