Kimber45

best brake comp for my AR

Hello all. Hope everyone had a great holiday. My question is Iam coming into the home stretch of my ar build just waiting for a few barrel part's from the fedex man. The last part I need is a brake. Iam running a 14.5 barrel so it needs to be 1 1/2 inches long to meet the 16 inch minimum. I've been looking at the Battlecomp 1.5 which get awesome reviews but a little pricey. Spikes dynacomp which they say is just as good as the BC. But a bit cheaper. Than there's the BCM Mod1. Dont know too much about that one except that BCM uses it on their uppers. Oh and there's the old stand by the YHM phantom.....oh boy so you see my point.... I don't want to start to get cheap on this build so its not about the cash. But I do want to get the best for my money....thanks all

I was in the same situation a few months ago.  I went with the Griffin armament (see link). It got great reviews and it works great very little muzzle rise and it doesn't have that concussion blast. I haven't had anyone on either side of me complain as I have when I use the YHM. I will use this device on any other uppers I build from now on.

GA-XHP556TC-1.jpg

(23 reviews)

clear1x1.gifclear1x1.gifclear1x1.gifclear1x1.gifGriffin Armament M4SD II Tactical Compensator-XHP556TC

I have a Miculek comp and a spikes dynacomp.

I like the miculek for straight recoil reduction but it sucks to around me when I'm shooting.  I have only been out with the dynacomp once running it hard, and it performed well.  The two rifles are completely different, dynacomp on a 14.5 middy and the miculek on a 16" carbine.  Don't know if youre local but your welcome to try it

IMG_20130602_195418_815_zps1ed2c723.jpg

Anything for a gun off of eBay is usually bad news.. At $28 gotta be crap.

**remember you get what you pay for**

I was thinking that.  Will try it out.  Can you educate me on how this bad boy is crap?  Thanks.

Not trying to be an ass but come on $28. Gotta be $hit. You mag cost more...

Probably Chinese crap.

No offense taken for sure.  I'm just trying to see your logic if its just the costs = crap part???  Educate me and why its crap?  I wouldn't know thats why I'm asking so I know what to look or feel for when I fire it at the range.  Any info would actually be appreciated.

the exit hole on the ebay comp looks huge.  probably to prevent baffle strike on an off center bore line. Metal is probably softer than what is needed to prevent pitting.  I wouldn't go through the time and money to pin that thing on

For $7 more you could have gotten a Miculek comp

Was my thinking too, probably a rip off of another design.

Ok good to know.  Does anyone know if ebay seller "ultimatearms" specializes on china knock offs?  I'm still waiting on who actually has experience with this brake or just because its cheap its crap?  Is it less accurate?  Will it pop off even if its installed fixed by a gunsmith?  Anyone else?

the exit hole on the ebay comp looks huge.  probably to prevent baffle strike on an off center bore line. Metal is probably softer than what is needed to prevent pitting.  I wouldn't go through the time and money to pin that thing on

For $7 more you could have gotten a Miculek comp

Hmmm yes I did see the Miculek version.  That is nice.  Thx for the comment.

the thing about comps is not only do they react differently for each shooter, they react different  for different types of guns.  So a miculek works awesome on my 14.5" mid, but not as well on my 16" Mid.  JP comps work great on 18" but not as well on 16 and under.  my DD comp had too much down force for a 14.5 but was OK for a 18.   The only brake that I have tried that works great on everything is a SJC titan

I had a miculek, but switched to a levang linear comp. I was punishing people next to me.

I have a Levang on mine and it is infinitely better then the Branson I had on my old M&P.

Side blast and noise in general was HORRIBLE!

The Levang sends the blast down range, not out to sides.

BIG difference.

I have a Levang on mine and it is infinitely better then the Branson I had on my old M&P.

Side blast and noise in general was HORRIBLE!

The Levang sends the blast down range, not out to sides.

BIG difference.

Good to know and thank you for the info.  I have checked them out as far as price.  The Levang is around $35 and the Branson is around $29.  So the earlier comment "Not trying to be an ass but come on $28. Gotta be $hit.", does it make the Levang and Branson $hit quality too just because it's in the same price range?

the thing about comps is not only do they react differently for each shooter, they react different  for different types of guns.  So a miculek works awesome on my 14.5" mid, but not as well on my 16" Mid.  JP comps work great on 18" but not as well on 16 and under.  my DD comp had too much down force for a 14.5 but was OK for a 18.   The only brake that I have tried that works great on everything is a SJC titan

Good info...  Thank you.