blizzzarddemon

Transport issue

I drive a 2004 toyota rav4 my one case barely fits in the back I take a lot to the range with me any idea how I can have a back seat open as if I took more than one passenger and still fit all my range gear I thought a roof top carrier but not sure if that would be legal

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

+1....slap a lock on the case man

Just to be technical; the law/statute on transporting doesn't say anything about a lock being a requirement. 

Just to be technical; the law/statute on transporting doesn't say anything about a lock being a requirement. 

You are right it states that is shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances. But you can come to your own conclusion on what they mean by "fastened." So, to avoid any problems most people just slap and small lock on their case or even use the cable locks that come with some firearms.

If you have a vehicle without a trunk, then just put the firearm in a locked guncase and put it in your vehicle where is fits, back seat if it doesn't physically fit the rear storage area in your vehicle if that is the best that you can do. I don't know whether you have an FID or not, but I would definitely be carrying it if I had to transport with the firearm exposed in the rear seating area.

You are right it states that is shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances. But you can come to your own conclusion on what they mean by "fastened." So, to avoid any problems most people just slap and small lock on their case or even use the cable locks that come with some firearms.

Correct that is the exact reading of the statute. A lot of people spread misinformation that they hear from people that is incorrect; I just wanted to point out to anyone reading your post that a lock is not required. If wrapping your gun case in chains and padlocks makes you feel "safer" then by all means do it, but the vast majority of people encounter no problems simply zipping up the case and throwing it in the rear of the vehicle.

Correct that is the exact reading of the statute. A lot of people spread misinformation that they hear from people that is incorrect; I just wanted to point out to anyone reading your post that a lock is not required. If wrapping your gun case in chains and padlocks makes you feel "safer" then by all means do it, but the vast majority of people encounter no problems simply zipping up the case and throwing it in the rear of the vehicle.

This is my point exactly. It's unclear as to what they mean by the term "fastened". I mean it's pretty much up to your comprehension. I mean here is the definition :

(Verb)
  1. Close or join securely.
  2. Be closed or done up in a particular place or part or in a particular way: "a nightie that fastens down the back".

This is my point exactly. It's unclear as to what they mean by the term "fastened". I mean it's pretty much up to your comprehension. I mean here is the definition :

(Verb)
  2. Be closed or done up in a particular place or part or in a particular way: "a nightie that fastens down the back".

I always wrap my arms in a securely fastened tactical transport nightie for range trips.

Guys the Op is asking if a roof transport case is legal, because he has passengers in the back seat and the firearms are in reach of that said person. He did not ask the repeatative question of "do I lock my stuff".

I believe that a roof type container like a ski box or sky box would be fine because it would act like a trunk.

2011-subaru-outback-snowboards-skis-roof

I always wrap my arms in a securely fastened tactical transport nightie for range trips.

I actually just picked one up myself. Tons of Molle as well for all sorts attachments LOL

Guys the Op is asking if a roof transport case is legal, because he has passengers in the back seat and the firearms are in reach of that said person. He did not ask the repeatative question of "do I lock my stuff".

I believe that a roof type container like a ski box or sky box would be fine because it would act like a trunk.

2011-subaru-outback-snowboards-skis-roof

He can always just rent a uhaul trailer for range days haha

(Verb)

I take that to mean something that snaps or zips closed....not locked. I have a Mazda 3 and had to stick my rifles through the split rear seat. I never bothered to lock them up.

Posted Image

Thanks I was getting a little annoyed that my thread was getting hijacked

And no one was answering my actual question

Again thank you

Damn, these threads are getting a bit too much.

Keep your guns cased in the back and put down one of your back seats if you need more room length-wise for the cases. My friend has a RAV and his is a 2005 and the back seats fold down, I'm sure yours do too. I wouldn't start spending all this money on a roof rack and roof storage and all that crap. By the time you spend a few hundred bucks on roof accessories, you could buy another gun lol. The same thing goes for pickups, a lot of us just toss everything behind the front seats in what's considered the "access/extended" cab.

Since everyone has been soooooo helpful, I will add my worthless opinion.

Get a bigger vehicle.

Seriously, a "securely tied package" = a gun sock, a cardboard box, etc.  Don't over think this - throw the case in the car, throw a blanket over everything and don't do anything stupid to or from the range.

Damn, these threads are getting a bit too much.

Keep your guns cased in the back and put down one of your back seats if you need more room length-wise for the cases. My friend has a RAV and his is a 2005 and the back seats fold down, I'm sure yours do too. I wouldn't start spending all this money on a roof rack and roof storage and all that crap. By the time you spend a few hundred bucks on roof accessories, you could buy another gun lol. The same thing goes for pickups, a lot of us just toss everything behind the front seats in what's considered the "access/extended" cab.

I have roof racks already and if I take 2 people to the range folding the back seats won't work I have a 12" sub and large tool box behind the back seat for those times you never know I mostly want to know if a roof top carrier would be legal to have guns in in this anti gun state