Sign in to follow this  
jrfly3006

Hats off to the Ironworkers

My next door neighbor is an Ironworker.. Nice guy but never really knew what he did exactly... Ive had the oppurtunity recently to watch these guys in action at the WTC and Newark Airport.. Dangling off beams hundreds of feet up.. Grabbing unstable beams hanging off cranes.. Enduring wind, rain and lightning and walking on steel like a balance beam.. Just wanted to say these guys deserve respect for doing a dangerous job and helping build the tall structures we use everyday.. Hats off to anyone here that does the job ( not forgetting about other dangerous jobs but just an observation on my part)

Thank you, that's very nice of you to post.

I've been doing it for over 13 years now.  For multiple reasons, I'm heading into a different career.  I'll definitely miss some aspects of it.  One of my favorite jobs was being around 700ft. in the air at Goldman Sachs in Jersey City.  I was there during 9/11 and experienced everything in the aftermath, including being at the same level as the gunships flying up and down the river every day.  I can't think of any other job where I have more memories. 

The job itself is fun.  It's the union issues and the preventable injuries/deaths that have been occurring lately that have caused me to take a step back.  When you have the old-timers telling you to get out while you're young, it definitely has an impact. 

Again, thank you.  Being a Union Ironworker IS NOT for everybody.  I've seen big strong guys quit after realizing the dangers and how much it beats you up on a daily basis.

Some say the same about us.

Local 14 insulators and asbestos workers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I can agree to that.  What you do is dangerous too.  I wouldn't want to mess with asbestos.  When I ran a job at Newark Airport, they were removing all the asbestos from Terminal B.  It looked like a major hazmat operation for months.  They made us leave the job when they were transporting material out of the area. 

Yeah, the same is said about us 322 HVAC techs. We have to work around all the stuff you guys do and then deal with the customer

HVAC aka a business that should be simple (Make cold air, make hot air) and somehow managers to be so difficult.

HVAC aka a business that should be simple (Make cold air, make hot air) and somehow managers to be so difficult.

While it's not rocket since, it's not that simple. You have to know airflow, electrical and refrigeration. Oh and be a plumber and insulator at times. I wish it was as simple as R,Y,W,G and C all the time. It'd make my life easier.

Correct, I didn't rule it out.  Only because it cant be used in different forms. 

Stupid because of doing dangerous work?

Stupid because he's working that high?

Stupid because he drinks before work?

Stupid because he lets contractors bounce his checks?

Or just, stupid?

Correct, I didn't rule it out.  Only because it cant be used in different forms. 

Stupid because of doing dangerous work?

Stupid because he's working that high?

Stupid because he drinks before work?

Stupid because he lets contractors bounce his checks?

Or just, stupid?

You can take the word stupid and replace it with pretty much and adjective: Exciting, ballsy. Like I said, I couldn't do it but somebody has to. You guys have some skills