dman2112

Packing up my gear for AZ. This should get past tsA ok

Yes it will.  But certain airlines(such as Spirit) only allow you to bring one firearm.  Not that they checked my bags...They just made me sign that it was empty, put a tag around the gun case handle, and they took it to the TSA and informed them my bag contained a firearm. 

They didn't even ask for the keys to my gun case locks. 

In Atlantic City, the Spirit lady just took my bag by hand back to the TSA and came back and said "you're all set". 

In Orlando, they did the inspection out in the open, it appeared they just swabbed the bag for explosive residue and then sent it on its way.  

Yes it will.  But certain airlines(such as Spirit) only allow you to bring one firearm.  Not that they checked my bags...They just made me sign that it was empty, put a tag around the gun case handle, and they took it to the TSA and informed them my bag contained a firearm. 

In Atlantic City, the Spirit lady just took my bag by hand back to the TSA and came back and said "you're all set". 

In Orlando, they did the inspection out in the open, it appeared they just swabbed the bag for explosive residue and then sent it on its way.  

I have NEVER had issues with Spirit with more than 1 gun.  Read their policies.  Nothing says you can only bring one.  I regularly fly to matches with more than 1 gun, never once an issue....

The only restriction you have is the amount of ammo, which is set by airlines, 11 lbs.

Btw, make sure you have a FEW locks on the case.  So that no one can open it up or force stuff out. 

I have NEVER had issues with Spirit with more than 1 gun.  Read their policies.  Nothing says you can only bring one.  I regularly fly to matches with more than 1 gun, never once an issue....

The only restriction you have is the amount of ammo, which is set by airlines, 11 lbs.

Btw, make sure you have a FEW locks on the case.  So that no one can open it up or force stuff out. 

Right in their Contract of Carriage:

6.4.1.17. Firearms
Spirit Airlines will allow customers to transport firearms in accordance with applicable regulations. Except for personnel authorized by the federal government, the following conditions must be met: (i) firearms are accepted as checked baggage only, (ii) firearms must be packed in a hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm; a locked hard-sided gun case; a locked hard-sided piece of luggage. A handgun packed in a hard-sided gun case may be packed inside a soft-sided piece of luggage. A Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case. Firearms may not be checked curbside. No one under 18 years of age may check a firearm. A customer who presents baggage containing a firearm must declare that the weapon is unloaded. Baggage containing firearms must be locked at all times and the key or lock combination retained by the customer. A Firearm Declaration form must be signed and placed on the outside of the locked case containing the firearm. Ammunition must be packed in the original manufacturing package or metal/wood box, with a maximum of 11 pounds per customer. Loose ammunition or clips will not be accepted. Spirit Airlines allows only one (1) checked firearm per customer. NOTE:Firearms are NOT permitted to/from international destinations.

Right in their Contract of Carriage:

Heh, I jsut read my copy and did not see it.  I guess buyer beware. =P 

I flew 3 times on Spirit with 2 guns, and did not have issues. 

http://www.spirit.com/content/documents/en-us/Contract_of_Carriage.pdf#page=15

Check it there. 

6.4.1.16.... nothing about number of firearms.

Heh, I jsut read my copy and did not see it.  I guess buyer beware. =P 

I flew 3 times on Spirit with 2 guns, and did not have issues. 

http://www.spirit.com/content/documents/en-us/Contract_of_Carriage.pdf#page=15

Check it there. 

6.4.1.16.... nothing about number of firearms.

I'm definitely looking at an old copy on their website!  Looks like the one I referenced is from 2010...DOH!

You have the updated one.  Had I known that, I would have taken two guns with me to FL.  My friend was asking me to bring my rifle(he never shot an AR) and my pistol down and I told him I could only do one as per Spirit's regulations. 

I'm definitely looking at an old copy on their website!  Looks like the one I referenced is from 2010...DOH!

You have the updated one.  Had I known that, I would have taken two guns with me to FL.  My friend was asking me to bring my rifle(he never shot an AR) and my pistol down and I told him I could only do one as per Spirit's regulations. 

Glad we got this figured out.  I thought I was going blind.

But yes, Frontier, Delta, Spirit, no issues.

Frontier even lets you travel with ammo in loaded magazines, as long as the magazines are covered up with tape.   Every other airline I know of, only in factory boxes or reloaded boxes.

I just did a flight to Argentina and united allows only one gun case but it may hold 5 long guns and 11 pounds of ammo funny thing is Argentina only allows 3 guns and no ammo whatsoever .always read the fine print.cant say enough good about the way my pelican case performed the many scuff marks and divits prove the baggage people are brutal

You are never supposed to give your gun lock keys to anyone.  The locks are supposed to be non-TSA locks and only in your possession.

You are never supposed to give your gun lock keys to anyone.  The locks are supposed to be non-TSA locks and only in your possession.

The TSA previously would inspect inside the firearm case.  They would need your keys to open the case, obviously.  You could request to be present during the screening of your firearm case, if you wanted.  A supervisor was always present during that inspection as well.  I know this because I used to work for the TSA and did the inspections. 

My experience 3 weeks ago is that they didn't ask to look inside the gun case at all.  So they must have changed policies. 

The TSA previously would inspect inside the firearm case.  They would need your keys to open the case, obviously.  You could request to be present during the screening of your firearm case, if you wanted.  A supervisor was always present during that inspection as well.  I know this because I used to work for the TSA and did the inspections. 

My experience 3 weeks ago is that they didn't ask to look inside the gun case at all.  So they must have changed policies.

Same here. The last 3 years, flying out of EWR, I would always get asked for my keys. This past April, I wasn't asked.