Avi

IWI Tavor NJ legal straight out of the box

In my opinion it doesnt look that the new IWI Tavor needs anything done to it to make it NJ legal

it accepts a detachable magazine but it doesnt have 2 more of the mentioned features no collapsible stock, the pistol grip is not below the action, the 16 inch model doesnt have a bayo lug, & no grenade launcher the only thing it has is a flash suppresor

what says you people

I was in your boat, but when I started asking around all the FFL's were of the opinion it needed a NJ legal muzzle brake permanently attached.  So that's what I did.

And I couldn't be happier with it!

In my opinion it doesnt look that the new IWI Tavor needs anything done to it to make it NJ legal

it accepts a detachable magazine but it doesnt have 2 more of the mentioned features no collapsible stock, the pistol grip is not below the action, the 16 inch model doesnt have a bayo lug, & no grenade launcher the only thing it has is a flash suppresor

what says you people

MSRP of 2k, plus I added a battlecomp to it.  Eventually they will be cheaper but not by much.  I wanted it in my hot little hands as soon as possible so I didn't mind paying the asking price.  

I have seen them go for as low as $1800 since my purchase, and I am actually thinking about buying an FDE one if I can find it at that price or lower.  The only downer about the rifle is the trigger pull but the rumor is Geisselle is making a drop in for it so I'm not too worried.  

Arguably the trigger is technically below the action of the rifle. I personally wouldn't want to be a test case for it. Pinning a brake is relatively cheap.

Btw, there is rumor that somebody made made gene trigger lighter into the 6lb range. Haven't fired the gun yet though.

Arguably the trigger is technically below the action of the rifle. I personally wouldn't want to be a test case for it. Pinning a brake is relatively cheap.

Btw, there is rumor that somebody made made gene trigger lighter into the 6lb range. Haven't fired the gun yet though.

I do understand that the trigger is not technically part of the action... so I guess you are right... I just do not know to what point the "action" on the gun stops..I do not know what the inside of that gun even looks like?

Regarding the trigger weight: it technically voids the warranty, but there is one spring you can remove from the trigger pack that immediately takes the trigger down to 7lbs or under:

http://www.thebangswitch.com/5-minute-tavor-trigger-job/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dizuRNL0HIs

one could argue the trigger is part of the action of the gun as it is the piece that initiates the firing of the gun.. IMO it counts..

Negative: the "action" is typically described as the mechanism which initiates the primer... aka, the bolt, firing pin, and hammer assembly.

There is also prior precedent with respect to the FS2000 and MSAR/AUG clones...

Negative: the "action" is typically described as the mechanism which initiates the primer... aka, the bolt, firing pin, and hammer assembly.

There is also prior precedent with respect to the FS2000 and MSAR/AUG clones...

when you say "bolt" where does it end... is it JUST the bolt? 

like in an AK for example... does it stop right before the piston?

what says you people

True...but it ALSO has a threaded barrel, if the FH isnt pinned..so "Out of the Box" it has 2 evil features  if you can unscrew the muzzle device then it counts as two....YEAH it's stupid...but it is what it is

True...but it ALSO has a threaded barrel, if the FH isnt pinned..so "Out of the Box" it has 2 evil features  if you can unscrew the muzzle device then it counts as two....YEAH it's stupid...but it is what it is

the way the law is written it does not appear that flash suppressor and threaded barrel each count as one as they are each line items....

A. semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

a folding or telescoping stock;

a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

a bayonet mount;

a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

a grenade launcher;

Why then do we Pin and Weld??

because an unpinned brake meets the criteria of threaded barrel under the heading flash hider or threaded barrel...

the following feature is an "evil feature"

a flash hider or a threaded barrel capable of accepting one... meaning if it meets at least one of these qualifiers then it is an "evil feature" 

I am definitely not a lawyer... it is just the way I read it as they are all separated into line items.. 

because an unpinned brake meets the criteria of threaded barrel under the heading flash hider or threaded barrel...

the following feature is an "evil feature"

a flash hider or a threaded barrel capable of accepting one... meaning if it meets at least one of these qualifiers then it is an "evil feature" 

I am definitely not a lawyer... it is just the way I read it as they are all separated into line items.. 

I tend to err heavily on the side of caution when it comes to that stuff...Expecting Most NJ Prosecutors to act in a reasonable/educated manner on firearms issues is a losing proposition IMO.

I'll give you a dollar if you let me touch it.

Don't think I've ever even seen one. Need to convince one of my wealthy friends to buy one so I can shoot it. It can't possibly be complete crap. There has to be something to it unless the Jews pulled a fast one on IMI.

I think the weight is deceptive. Because everythig is rearword, when you first hold it, its torquing to the rear making it feel heavy. But when you get into a shooting position, the weight vanishes because its all up against your shoulder making it feel light and maneuverable. Would I have preferred it weighed a little less, sure. I like my rifles to be about 8lbs including my optics etc etc.But itsnot horribly heav.

I think the weight is deceptive. Because everythig is rearword, when you first hold it, its torquing to the rear making it feel heavy. But when you get into a shooting position, the weight vanishes because its all up against your shoulder making it feel light and maneuverable. Would I have preferred it weighed a little less, sure. I like my rifles to be about 8lbs including my optics etc etc.But itsnot horribly heav.

I concur with this. When you have it shouldered you dont feel the weight at all.

MSRP of 2k, plus I added a battlecomp to it.  Eventually they will be cheaper but not by much.  I wanted it in my hot little hands as soon as possible so I didn't mind paying the asking price.  

I have seen them go for as low as $1800 since my purchase, and I am actually thinking about buying an FDE one if I can find it at that price or lower.  The only downer about the rifle is the trigger pull but the rumor is Geisselle is making a drop in for it so I'm not too worried.  

What comp did you put on it?

definitely interested in picking one of these up...once i have the "disposable" income.  does anyone know if anyone in NJ has these in stock?

Heh, more evidence that no one reads the marketplace.  Red, there's an ad for one posted today:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/61237-brand-new-nj-legal-tavor-556-tsb16/

Heh, more evidence that no one reads the marketplace. Red, there's an ad for one posted today:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/61237-brand-new-nj-legal-tavor-556-tsb16/

^ excellent price too considering its neutered already. If it was fde I would think about picking it up to keep my blk one company :)