almiz111

Red dot for Saiga AK47 (762)

Any suggestions? 1-2 MOA Dot. Maybe $350 price. AK side mount scope rail. 

Aimpoint Pro??  Lucid HD7??

I did my homework and read a bunch in the Optics section but wanted to ask AK users directly.

As usual sorry if this this is old stuff posted elsewhere!!

ultimak tube is the way to go and which ever quality red dot u pick. guys are all using different ones, I'm using eotech and happy with it.

HOWEVER if u want to stay "original" and use side mount look here >>>>

http://kalinkaoptics.com/

they have great Russian / Belarus red dot with proven record. I know ppl who bought from there and very happy with their optics .

the advantage to an Ultimak and micro sight is you can cowitness iron sights.. 

these were probably my two favorite rifles.. the sight was great on both.. one is 556 and the other is 7.62

I’ve been thinking about doing any optic on my S223 for a while so glad to see this thread. I hadn’t heard of the Ultimak before and you probably had it on there last year after you did the MSA adapter post, I probably didn’t notice because the focus was on the mag adapter. BTW I still have S223 with TAK-D mag adapter and LRBHO, I upgraded to the Bastard over the winter. I think you would have loved the upgrade.

Anyway after briefly looking into the Ultimak rail I haven’t seen anything written bad except some say it does get hot. I forget where that was posted but someone said the heat could be an issue for the cheaper Red Dots, what do you think? That’s probably not much of an issue for me, I generally only shoot 10 rds (or less) and may load again then toggle between rifles.  I just ordered the Ultimak and looking forward to putting on my S233. Now for the Red Dot, what do you Vortex Sparc?  It looks pretty good for < $200.  Also when you cowitness do you use Lower 1/3 or Absolute method?  Thanks in advance

edit: typo

I’ve been thinking about doing any optic on my S223 for a while so glad to see this thread. I hadn’t heard of the Ultimak before and you probably had it on there last year after you did the MSA adapter post, I probably didn’t notice because the focus was on the mag adapter. BTW I still have S223 with TAK-D mag adapter and LRBHO, I upgraded to the Bastard over the winter. I think you would have loved the upgrade.

Anyway after briefly looking into the Ultimak rail I haven’t seen anything written bad except some say it does get hot. I forget where that was posted but someone said the heat could be an issue for the cheaper Red Dots, what do you think? That’s probably not much of an issue for me, I generally only shoot 10 rds (or less) and may load again then toggle between rifles.  I just ordered the Ultimak and looking forward to putting on my S233. Now for the Red Dot, what do you Vortex Sparc?  It looks pretty good for < $200.  Also when you cowitness do you use Lower 1/3 or Absolute method?  Thanks in advance

edit: typo

I don't see any issues with heat... But I also ran an aimpoint which is a prett high quality optic.... I know of people using the ultimak and primary arms without issue.....

I loved my AKs but just found the AR platform to offer more so I've stuck with that... I still have my Saiga 12... And doubt ill ever give that up...

Thanks almiz111 for the post and all the guys that suggested the Ultimak rail. I hadn’t heard of them but I’m a believer now as well. I ordered one and installed it yesterday, its very well made and it beats the snot out of those over-sized clunky side rails.I didn’t get my Vortex Red Dot yet but I had a Bushnell stowed away that I put on to test. Looking forward to trying it out, will probably order another soon for my S223. I’ve been trying to get by with iron sights but after 50 my eyes need some help, LOL,

*STRONGLY* recommend Aimpoint.  Aimpoint Micro is basically custom dreamed up/tailored for the front of an AK rifle w/ an Ultimak rail... BUT an option of a regular Midwest Industries / SGM Tactical quad rail will get the job done and while Aimpoint priced the Micro out of the regular folk's pocket as it shot up in popularity, they DID do the regular folk a solid, with the PRO.  Just realize it is a significant bit bigger and the included mount is for a flat top AR, it's most definitely not set up for a forward , AK type setup, you'd need the $75-ish low/wide ring mount available for it.

$400 + $75 for a PRO and a low mount is a lot cheaper than nearly $600+ for the Micro, but I have Two Micro's and they are amazing.  I tried to get two more when they were on sale back in late 2010 but they sold out and didn't come back like they promised they would.

*if ONLY* ONLY ONLY I had had the cash when Botach was selling the Aimpoint 3x Magnifier + mount for like $275..... I still cry about that.  

I thought I would check in since there is still some activity here. I actually did take (some of) your advice!!

I now have the RS side mount and this is corny but it is state of the (mechanical) art. It's not micro anything but also not really klunky like most others. 

Red dot is 30mm Vortex Strikefire. Yes I cheaped out on Aimpoint. Also didn't see many less expensive micro clones to choose.  Maybe in the future?  Vortex is a little large but no big deal. Has a 2x magnifier included and 1st class warranty (so they say ).

Anyway the co-witness is at the bottom of the circle but pretty darn good and usable if needed, like dead battery or??. 

The Ultimak looked real good but the side rail was already there and calling me. LOL.

That is all. 

these were probably my two favorite rifles.. the sight was great on both.. one is 556 and the other is 7.62

msaak.jpg

saiga762finalvlad.JPG

still love that 5.56 one

still love that 5.56 one

me too.. 

someone on the board bought it.. 

I think if AKs didnt dent brass I might have tried to keep it.. 

there are days I still think about a SBR AK with a 556 mag conversion and a folding stock... 

if I ever do another project.. it MIGHT be that.. 

Quick question,  did you do anything with the horizontal pin that locks in the front of the factory handguard ? I did my S762 with the original handguard but  I'm  going to do my S223 like yours, I have the KVFM-B and UltiMAK Optics Mount but still waiting for the forend cap. Just wondering if you left the pin in place, drifted it out or ground it down.... Thanks in advance

Quick question,  did you do anything with the horizontal pin that locks in the front of the factory handguard ? I did my S762 with the original handguard but  I'm  going to do my S223 like yours, I have the KVFM-B and UltiMAK Optics Mount but still waiting for the forend cap. Just wondering if you left the pin in place, drifted it out or ground it down.... Thanks in advance

ground it down flush and just touched it up