plode

NJDOC Corrections officer application(Firearms related, mostly)

Neither do I. I have seen a lot of careers and reputations ruined because of Facebook and the like.

You can tell a lot about a person from their FB page. We use it at work for investigations all the time. You will get a much better idea of someone's true maturity level, honesty, and integrity from their social media site than you ever will in an interview.

I know someone that didn't get hired at a new job and fired from an old job when they found out they called in sick a bunch of times, and were able to match all the sick days to concerts, sports events, long weekends and overnight vacations they took.

What? Preposterous. I am special, a veritable snowflake and I deserve it. If they don't want to just give it to me and insist on making me work for it, well then they can just keep it! [/sarcasm]

So true.

If you don't have FB then no problem. But a prospective employer can learn a lot about someone from social media.

If you want the job you do whatever it takes....

My friend who went through the process was threatened by them when he went for the pre-employment processing.  They were screaming at him to just give them the account information so they could look.  He swore up and down he didn't have one.  They said "if we find out you have a Facebook account, you'll be brought up on charges". 

They then called all of his references- I was one of them.  They were asking me if he had a Facebook.  I told them no, he didn't.  They then asked what the URL for my account was so they could look at my friends list.  I told them that wouldn't work as my friends list is set to private-not even my own friends can see anything other than mutual friends. They then asked if he had a Myspace account, or a Twitter account, or another social media accounts.  I said that I didn't think he did, but I don't have anything other than Facebook, so I couldn't say for certain that he doesn't have one. They also threatened me with charges if they found out he had a Facebook account. 

I don't have an issue looking at it, but keeping it unlocked to them for 6-8-12 months for them to look at everything- including messages with my family members is a little overboard.  I'm not hiding anything on there, it is very safe...I have lots of relatives as friends and anything that is posted I would be OK with my grandmother seeing :lol: Heck, I was(and still am) friends with some of my previous employers on there and none of them had any issues with anything. Not to mention from a security standpoint I change my password fairly regularly. 

I e-mailed and explained I need more time to request a day off of work as per my companies policy.  I haven't heard back yet.

It's standard procedure I'm with DOC they want to make sure all handguns come back properly registered. You'd go through the same with a PD also we have screwed up issues with our carrying... Only department to issue their own weapons card lol. I'd get all your stuff in order. As I recall all you needed to bring to New Lisbon was ID a copy of high school diploma and copies of your P2P's it shouldn't be that hard by Monday

It's standard procedure I'm with DOC they want to make sure all handguns come back properly registered. You'd go through the same with a PD also we have screwed up issues with our carrying... Only department to issue their own weapons card lol. I'd get all your stuff in order. As I recall all you needed to bring to New Lisbon was ID a copy of high school diploma and copies of your P2P's it shouldn't be that hard by Monday

Here is the list of stuff it says to bring:

Birth Certificate

High School Transcripts

Original high school diploma

Original NON LAMINATED social security card(mine is laminated) and 2 copies of it

Original and two copies of drivers license

Firearms Purchaser ID card

All permits to purchase a handgun

All permits to carry a handgun(Hah!  do they really think anyone has one of these?! :lol:, although it doesn't specify a NJ issued one, guess I'd have to bring my FL CCW permit)

Any and all police records/reports.  They don't specify if this includes accident reports...I was rear ended a couple years ago by someone.  Good luck getting that from NJSP over a holiday weekend. 

Proof of residency.  This one would be a really difficult one for me.  All, and I mean all of my bills go to my P.O. Box in a town to the south of me.  They say that it must be dated 6 months prior to the announcement of the exam(July of last year...).  All of my motor vehicle registrations were just renewed last month.  Cannot be a drivers license. 

If you reside in one of the above listed areas and wi sh to be appointed at one of the indicated facilities, you must submit one (1) clear photocopy of acceptable proof of residency (in addition to a driver’s license) indicating that you           currently reside in the preferred area listed above.
You must also submit one (1) clear photocopy of acceptable proof of residency which clearly indicates that you were a resident at least six (6) months in the preferred area prior to the closing date of the examination announcement
(January 14, 2013). Proofs of residency MUST include YOUR NAME and ADDRESS.
For example, the closing date was 01/14/13, therefore you must bring one of the items listed below dated on or               before 07/14/12. A list of acceptable forms to show proof of residency are listed below:
Home mortgage(home is owned by my father)
Bank statement(goes to P.O. Box)
Credit card statement(goes to P.O. Box)
School Registration for Children(no kids)
Motor Vehicle Registration(dated May of 2013)
Tax bill(taxes are in fathers name)
Homeowner’s Insurance Declaration(in fathers name)
NJ Homestead Rebate(in fathers name)
Bills or receipts for utilities,e.g. gas, electric, water, sewer, phone(all in my fathers name/go to my P.O. Box)
ALL PROOFS OF RESIDENCY ARE SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION

I loved making sugar cookies on the beach

I loved standing on the box, yelling out the exercises to the rest of the recruits, and watching them lay in goose shit. I am sure they were thinking the same thing when they were on the box too.

I loved standing on the box, yelling out the exercises to the rest of the recruits, and watching them lay in goose shit. I am sure they were thinking the same thing when they were on the box too.

Class the next exercise is the squat thrust lol

It's not LEO but my wife has a civil service job in NYC. She took an exam a few years ago for a promotion. She had to fill out thick packet of forms. We had to list all of her private details and also mine. All my credit card and loan balances and all of our assets plus we had to show our tax returns. The city wants to make sure you're not taking bribes or stealing from them. Remember this is all stuff that you and I the taxpayer asked for, accountability for public employees. All of this is forwarded to the dept of investigation who will then take their sweet time to do a background investigation. You take the promotion immediately but DOI will follow up if they find anything of concern. 

I can therefore completely understand a LE agency you are applying for a job at asking for a list of all your firearms and other private and personal data. 

Birth Certificate

High School Transcripts

Original NON LAMINATED social security card(mine is laminated) and 2 copies of it

All permits to carry a handgun(Hah!  do they really think anyone has one of these?! :lol:, although it doesn't specify a NJ issued one, guess I'd have to bring my FL CCW permit)

Any and all police records/reports.  They don't specify if this includes accident reports...I was rear ended a couple years ago by someone.  Good luck getting that from NJSP over a holiday weekend. 

Proof of residency.  This one would be a really difficult one for me.  All, and I mean all of my bills go to my P.O. Box in a town to the south of me.  They say that it must be dated 6 months prior to the announcement of the exam(July of last year...).  All of my motor vehicle registrations were just renewed last month.  Cannot be a drivers license. 

I think the lesson here is jump through the hoops as best as possible - do what you can do, inquire as to how to get the other stuff and get it moving asap.  show some initiative.

Birth Certificate

High School Transcripts

All permits to carry a handgun(Hah! do they really think anyone has one of these?! :lol:, although it doesn't specify a NJ issued one, guess I'd have to bring my FL CCW permit)

Any and all police records/reports. They don't specify if this includes accident reports...I was rear ended a couple years ago by someone. Good luck getting that from NJSP over a holiday weekend.

Proof of residency. This one would be a really difficult one for me. All, and I mean all of my bills go to my P.O. Box in a town to the south of me. They say that it must be dated 6 months prior to the announcement of the exam(July of last year...). All of my motor vehicle registrations were just renewed last month. Cannot be a drivers license.

The residency requirement is only for 2 prisons one is Northern State in Newark the other I believe is Southern State in south jersey I was only in my apartment 3 months when I started the process, but I work in Trenton one that doesn't require residency preference

It comes down to a matter of want. When I got my packet of info that was required I put my business on hold and made it happen. I was self employed so this was a great financial burden but it paid off. Short term difficulty for life long benefit. If it was easy everybody would do it.

The residency requirement is only for 2 prisons one is Northern State in Newark the other I believe is Southern State in south jersey I was only in my apartment 3 months when I started the process, but I work in Trenton one that doesn't require residency preference

Since I'm in Cape May County, we get preference for Southern State, so I would need the residency paperwork.

I think the lesson here is jump through the hoops as best as possible - do what you can do, inquire as to how to get the other stuff and get it moving asap. show some initiative.

Exactly this. If you show up with everything that was feasible they won't care. They will tell you how to forward all the rest of the stuff when you get it.

I took the test scored ok on it. I started to get all my paperwork the day after I took the test. I hope more people are like this so I can move up the list faster. Sorry no hard feeling its something I want and what ever info they want they will get .

Proper mentality. No excuses. Good luck.

And WHAT does doing that have any bearing on teaching him how to be a Corrections Officer?  If it was college fraternity doing that, they'd call it hazing and throw the ringleaders in jail...

And WHAT does doing that have any bearing on teaching him how to be a Corrections Officer? If it was college fraternity doing that, they'd call it hazing and throw the ringleaders in jail...

if you cant take shit in the academy then you can handle pressure in the real world. You would be surprised how many people quit because they cant handle the stress. Handling stress, working under stress. Its all part of it.

if you cant take shit in the academy then you can handle pressure in the real world. You would be surprised how many people quit because they cant handle the stress. Handling stress, working under stress. Its all part of it.

^^^THIS^^^^^  prison work is NOT for everyone!!!!!!

^^^THIS^^^^^ prison work is NOT for everyone!!!!!!

Yup, I would say about 30-40% quit while in the academy, another 20% the first year working inside those walls, then another 20% leave within 5 years to go to a police department. That's why they hire so many at one time.

First time dealing with gov't employment docs? Have you ever been in the military or had a security clearance? Yeah, this procedure and timeline is likely designed to weed out the people that won't even try to get all that together, so they can just cut a lot of people that passed the test, to thin the herd. It's not as if CO is a job that requires a lot of prior qualifications, you get trained in a 14 or whatever week academy, then all OJT after that. Like most jobs, everywhere. Some LEO jobs these days do require college degrees, which in MHO has increased the quality of those agencies significantly. I don't know if that would help with CO work, though, unless they require a Psych degree or something. Not bashing LEO or CO, I certainly don't want to do that job, but expect some hoops when trying to join The Man

And WHAT does doing that have any bearing on teaching him how to be a Corrections Officer?  If it was college fraternity doing that, they'd call it hazing and throw the ringleaders in jail...

Hazing is for the purpose of humiliation. This is not. Everything has a purpose. Nothing is wasted or left up to chance in training.

I you want to know how it applies, sign up :)

Unless the current job is a career for you, I'd call the boss up and explain the situation honestly. If he does t care, tell him thanks but I have to take care of business and quit. No notice. Just quit and spend next week getting as much together as you can.

OR

Don't show up and start getting the shit together and take the test again next year. You will already have everything you need the day you take the test.

OR

Forget about it. It's not for you.

Just a heads up...

5-point Vet preference,

Some College

5 years experience in custody

and I scored high on the test...

Was still told I wasn't "qualified" to work county or state and to retake the test next year it comes up....

IMO the Civil Service test is a way for NJ to rape its citizens of money in the hopes of getting a job.  I took the test 3 years ago at TR East school.  There was close to 7000 people there that day ALL who paid $35+ fee per additional consideration area (County corrections, state corrections, police etc.) Then we all took basically the SAME EXACT TEST.  Of those people how many actually got hired?  I turned to the Feds and never looked back.  However NJ CO's make more than Feds, most other states that is not the case.  NJ and Cali state CO makes more than Fed CO in those states, everywhere else we make more... plus you can transfer to a different prison if you decide to leave the peoples republic (sometimes it is on their dime too)... Just saying there are other options if you are looking to get into this field.... Then again the paperwork you have to do for the federal background investigation is FAR more extensive than what your dealing with now.... either way.... GOOD LUCK!

Just a heads up...

5-point Vet preference,

Some College

5 years experience in custody

and I scored high on the test...

Was still told I wasn't "qualified" to work county or state and to retake the test next year it comes up....

IMO the Civil Service test is a way for NJ to rape its citizens of money in the hopes of getting a job. I took the test 3 years ago at TR East school. There was close to 7000 people there that day ALL who paid $35+ fee per additional consideration area (County corrections, state corrections, police etc.) Then we all took basically the SAME EXACT TEST. Of those people how many actually got hired? I turned to the Feds and never looked back. However NJ CO's make more than Feds, most other states that is not the case. NJ and Cali state CO makes more than Fed CO in those states, everywhere else we make more... plus you can transfer to a different prison if you decide to leave the peoples republic (sometimes it is on their dime too)... Just saying there are other options if you are looking to get into this field.... Then again the paperwork you have to do for the federal background investigation is FAR more extensive than what your dealing with now.... either way.... GOOD LUCK!

I was hired off that test and I was one of those people at TR East.... I have no experience and I'm not a vet it's all in what you score and how well you do on the psych and all the other fun stuff