RU_27

2nd O/U skeet/ trap and local dealer

I bought a Stoegger STF 3000 (used) a few weeks ago to get me started with skeet and trap. I love it, except for its auto safety feature because it keeps me from shooting doubles.

I am looking to upgrade to a "B" O/U and wanted to see what suggestions everyone has. Also, is it possible to have a O/U that is appropriate for both skeet and trap?

Based on some past posts it appears it is possible to get a good one for ~$500-800. Do you all agree?

Thanks in advance!

why does the safety keep you from shooting doubles its not supposed to activate between shots only when you open the gun or manually reset it

Apparently its part of the model`s features.http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/20085-stoeger-stf-3000

I knew this before buying (ie the price was right), so I'm not complaining. Just looking for second O/U

i have a stoeger 3000stf and the saftey only is supposed to reset when you crack it to reload and then close it.

I shoot doubles no problem

I envy you :D but love the gun, as I'm sure you do too.

Regardless, still looking for 2nd O/U

sounds like you got some gunk in the internals read this thread, are you fireing with live ammo or snap caps?

this thread has metions of this

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/19427-STF-3000-firing-and-ejector-problems

i am trying to get the guides from the guy when I do I will pass them along to you

You are awesome. Thanks!

Since you're obviously very knowledgeable (and I appreciate it), any second O/U suggestions?

I bought a Stoegger STF 3000 (used) a few weeks ago to get me started with skeet and trap. I love it, except for its auto safety feature because it keeps me from shooting doubles.

I am looking to upgrade to a "B" O/U and wanted to see what suggestions everyone has. Also, is it possible to have a O/U that is appropriate for both skeet and trap?

Based on some past posts it appears it is possible to get a good one for ~$500-800. Do you all agree?

Thanks in advance!

The auto-safety feature has no bearing on the second barrel going bang for it's the inertia-reset that enables the second barrel for the shot thanks to the shotgun's recoil setting it. When you open the gun, a bar is moved rearward that pushes the safety bar rearward. That's auto-safety. Browning's and some target guns from other makers don't have auto-safeties.

Inertia trigger:

When you pull the trigger on a live round, recoil sets the second barrel's trigger sear by moving an inertia bar. You can test whether this function works with an empty gun.

Make sure the shotgun is empty, open the action to cock the hammers, then close it, then pull the trigger to fire the first empty barrel. Without touching anything or moving the safety, tap the gun's buttstock lightly against the floor and you should hear a light but distinct metallic "click" inside the trigger group. You should be able to pull the trigger again and it will fire the second barrel.

If this test doesn't happen positively every time, your inertia trigger group is dirty or needs factory service.

Inertia triggers fail one of two ways: recoil doesn't set the second trigger pull OR the gun will double; inadvertently firing both barrels with a single trigger pull. So, if the trigger isn't working properly; get it fixed.

The auto safety is easily disabled leaving you wit A manual safety. also you may well be having A light primer strike on the second shot.  to make sur you are getting good hammer strikes you can tighten the adjusting spring on the hammers by turning the nut clockwise. Dont turn it much, 1/2 turn max.  both of these operations are accomplished by removing the stock and pulling out the firing mech.     both fixes can be done in about 10 minutes.     you have to get A 3/32 roll pin to do the safty mod before you start the process.    Also do you by chance have A recoil pad on that gun?    If so that is effecting your inertia reset. I wanted to extend the stock on mine and found out about the inertia reset.   So I made my own extension from wood cut and stained to match the stock and reinstalled the standard recoil pad.     loads of clays shot with no malfunctions.  Hope this helps.

Browning Cynergy, Citori, 28" field model would do just fine...

You can get a good used one for 800-1200 range.

Cz's o/u are awesome... modern technology, light weight and cheap Great gun!

Thanks for this reccomendation. I will keep it in mind. The CZs look mad nice!

The auto-safety feature has no bearing on the second barrel going bang for it's the inertia-reset that enables the second barrel for the shot thanks to the shotgun's recoil setting it. When you open the gun, a bar is moved rearward that pushes the safety bar rearward. That's auto-safety. Browning's and some target guns from other makers don't have auto-safeties.

Inertia trigger:

When you pull the trigger on a live round, recoil sets the second barrel's trigger sear by moving an inertia bar. You can test whether this function works with an empty gun.

Make sure the shotgun is empty, open the action to cock the hammers, then close it, then pull the trigger to fire the first empty barrel. Without touching anything or moving the safety, tap the gun's buttstock lightly against the floor and you should hear a light but distinct metallic "click" inside the trigger group. You should be able to pull the trigger again and it will fire the second barrel.

If this test doesn't happen positively every time, your inertia trigger group is dirty or needs factory service.

Inertia triggers fail one of two ways: recoil doesn't set the second trigger pull OR the gun will double; inadvertently firing both barrels with a single trigger pull. So, if the trigger isn't working properly; get it fixed.

Thank you for this education and I will try the test. I'm glad I joined this community, every bit of information means I will slowly no longer be a O/U noob.

A Citori does not reset the safety when you open the action.  At least my 625 does not, not sure about the 725's.  It will probably be quite a drive for you, but if you want to try it out, come to the Shootout on the 14th at Clinton WMA.

Thanks, Robert James for the recc and offer. I went to HS / my parents are in that area. I may not be able to make the 14th but I will check out Clinton sometime.

By the way I see you list So Jersey as your location, Dont know where you are but if you want we can get together and I can help you with the fixes you need

Thanks, Kirk for the advice. Right now, the auto safety doesn't bother me too much. I am currently focused on fixing/confirming the intertia problem. However, your project will definitely be one i keep in mind for the future.

I shoot at Pine Belt most Wed/Friday nights (Shamong, NJ, near Medford). Come on down if you're ever in the area!