Erik

Gun Safe source?

Building an addition, and thinking about putting a large safe in the basement. Figure I probably won't be able to get it down the steps, so I want to drop it in before the house is framed.

Looking for a good source for well made safes. Ideally to hold about 18 long rifles, some handguns and ammo.

Any suggestions?

Safes can be like guns, cheap to very expensive.  You get what you pay for.

If looking for a high value safe with great features Patriot Safes are having a great sale right now.  A 24 gun safe with 2 hour fire rating for $2200 delivered.

http://www.patriotsafe.com/Protector-24-gun-safe-2-hour-fire-1880-2013-LEO-Special-_p_500.html

There is a video around by a vendor describing the differences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8

Since you are doing a renovation anyway if I might make a suggestion to go with a basement entrance (bilco doors).  Not only will you be able to get your safe in easily, but having the ability to get inside or outside from the basement without having to treck through the house and up and down full flights of stairs is a pleasure.  I don't think I'd ever own a house with a basement and not have a set of bilco's again. 

Good plan, though I've been amazed at what (safes) professional movers were able to get in and out of basements with seemingly difficult access.

I've no particular advice on a source; I will repeat the oft-repeated advice that if you want it to hold 18 long guns, you need to get one that claims to hold more than that.

I've no particular advice on a source; I will repeat the oft-repeated advice that if you want it to hold 18 long guns, you need to get one that claims to hold more than that.

Like double :)

The type, quality, and size of gun safe will all depend on your budget. Cheaper import safes can start at $400-900 for a 24-30 gun safe. 1k-3k+ will get you a modest/good quality, domestic safe with better fire protection, heavier steel, and more security features. The higher end of the gun safe world being a Graffunder can net 5-10k depending on the size.

Entry Level Safes: Cannon, Winchester, Bighorn, Mesa

Mid Grade Safes: Liberty (they also have a higher end), AMSEC, Sturdy, Patriot

High End Safes: Graffunder

Check out this video. You will learn ALOT about gun safes in this 27 min video