2C:39-3. Prohibited weapons and devices

a. Destructive devices. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any destructive device is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

b. Sawed-off shotguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any sawed-off shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

c. Silencers. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any firearm silencer is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

d. Defaced firearms. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any firearm which has been defaced, except an antique firearm or an antique handgun, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

wait...a slingshot?!...lmao...thats just too much...what kid didnt grow up anywhere but urban areas and didnt have a slingshot at some point....furthermore...we actually made them also...so not only would we be a criminal....for posession ...but also get slapped for illegal weapon manufacturing?.....had we been "caught"...nj never ceases to amaze me

2C:39-3. Prohibited weapons and devices

a. Destructive devices. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any destructive device is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

b. Sawed-off shotguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any sawed-off shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

c. Silencers. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any firearm silencer is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

d. Defaced firearms. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any firearm which has been defaced, except an antique firearm or an antique handgun, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

explainable lawful purpose is the "out" on that one. why? because if i'm not doing anything illegal with it, then it's legal. 'nuff said.

how do the "spring assisted" knives fall into the vague nj law flow chart?....i see them in use quite often in other states while working....would they be classified as a switchblade?

I'd be curious about this as well.  Most sites will ship them to NJ so I assume they're not illegal in NJ? Could be wrong.

Spring assisted knives are not illegal under Federal law. Don't know how NJ feels about it.

Federal law prohibits the importation, manufacture, and distribution of switch blades where it "substantially affects interstate commerce". It prohibits sending a switchblade via US Mail but exempts common carriers. It does not prohibit possession in ant state as long as you are not on Federal property. There are exemptions for military and others.

All that being said, I have seen switchblades for sale in other states.

explainable lawful purpose is the "out" on that one. why? because if i'm not doing anything illegal with it, then it's legal. 'nuff said.

Good luck with that defense. You may as well walk down the street with a Bowie strapped to each leg. That rates up there with the guy who said "how am I supposed to know my tail light is out, I don't have a warning light for that".

I would say it would be legal to have a switchblade in your knife collection under NJ law but don't carry it.