NJGunGuy

Moving Out of State...A Few Questions

I currently live in NJ and there's a good chance I will be moving shortly.

With that in mind, my questions:

1) For the state I'm moving to, I have to establish residency before I receive my gun permits.  During this time when I'm not a NJ resident, but I do not yet have my permits for my new state, what should I do with my handguns and long arms?  My NJ permits have my current address (parent's home) and they also have their permits.  I also did not want to bring my firearms up there immediately so I'd like to store them in NJ for a few months.

2) When I want to shoot my firearms in NJ when I come to my parent's home to visit, can I legally transport them to NJ and fire them at a range?  I will still have my NJ permits, but my license will be from another state.

My goal is to keep this all legal so even though I have no reason to be worried, I don't want one either.

Where are you moving to? I thought you could take any currently owned firearms, assuming legal in both states, to your new home. I'm sure NYC, Chicago, and DC probably have some other requirements, but entire states? 

Thanks guys for the responseses.

Just updated my original post...I'm moving to MA.

I didn't plan on bringing my firearms up there immediately.  Is there a way to legally store these firearms in NJ while I'm an out-of-state resident?

I'm still also very interested to the answer for my second question.

Though I am not a lawyer, nor familiar with the laws in every state - I believe

that according to the ATF, guns can legally be transported from one state to

another as long as the guns are legally registered in the state from which they

originated. Of course there is always the State compliance issue, in which it would

be your responsibility to know if the guns you will be bringing are legal in the state

you are moving to.

You can contact the MA State Police or AG's office to verify this..................

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/

Good luck!

IIRC NY requires you have to have the permit before you bring them into the state. If this is the case in MA you need to leave them here until you get their permit. You also need to file a change of address on your FID with your MA address through the NJSP.

Not only that, I believe that not everything legal in NJ is legal in MA.

Worse? That's subjective. They are better in some aspects such as CCW if outside of Boston and environs. I would not want to move there but it sounds like it's not a voluntary move.

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/moving_to_ma.html

New Resident Information

Licensing: Massachusetts requires all firearm owners to be licensed.

There are three types of licenses based on the type of firearms to be possessed.

• Firearms Identification Card (FID)
  • License to Carry Firearms (LTC)
  • Class III Permit to own Full Automatic Firearms

There is no license needed to purchase a primitive firearm such as a black powder rifle or shotgun or replica that does not use modern ammunition.

Firearms Identification Card (FID): Shall issue photo and fingerprint card, renewable every six years at the cost of $100. This card covers the purchase, possession or transportation of non-large capacity rifles or shotguns, ammunition therefore or chemical sprays. A restricted FID for chemical sprays is available for $25.

License to Carry Firearms (LTC): May issue photo and fingerprint card, renewable every six years at the cost of $100.

• Class “A” LTC will cover purchase, possession or transportation and carrying of all approved handguns, rifles and shotguns. Loaded firearms must be under the direct control while in a vehicle. Note: MA still recognizes the AWB, if you own a modern sporting rifle (AR, AK etc..) check this page to be sure it is compliant.
  • Class “B” LTC will cover purchase, possession, or transportation of large capacity rifles and shotguns and non-large capacity handguns. This license does not permit the bearer to carry concealed or loaded. Firearms must unloaded and locked in the trunk or other container while in a vehicle.

New Residents: The laws exempts move-in and possession in the home for new residents for sixty (60) days. Until you receive the proper license do not transport any firearms and/ or ammunition. GOAL recommends getting the required training and application in to the police department within the first two weeks of residency as it may take forty-five (45) days to process your application for licensure.

Moving here with your firearms?

Please note: MA continues to recognize the expired federal AWB, "Assault Weapons", which are lawful to purchase in 44 states are NOT legal in MA. Please see our page here for information about how you can make your rifle/shotgun/pistol legal to possess in MA,

Please note: Legal magazine capacity is limited to 10 rounds UNLESS the magazine was manufactured prior to September 13, 1994. You can not legally possess magazines that hold more than 10 rounds that were mfg after that date. See link above for more information.

Please note: There are special requirements for the transportation of large capacity firearms in MA. Please see above link.

Registration: The transfer of any resident’s handgun, shotgun or rifle, whether through a dealer or between licensed individuals must be reported to the state via the FA- 10 form available from your local police station. There is no law specifying that you must report to the state or the local licensing authority what firearms you already possess, i.e. filling out an FA-10 for your current collection or submitting a list to the local police.

Storage and Transportation: All guns not under the direct control of the owner must be stored or kept in a locked container, or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock. The laws for transporting a firearm can be confusing. If you keep the firearm unloaded, and locked in a case in the trunk or rear storage compartment of a truck or SUV you will comply with the current law.

General: Massachusetts law covers many other areas not listed here. This is intended as a brief overview for new residents of Massachusetts. If you have any questions, contact GOAL.

Travel: Click here for more information on travelling to or from MA

Thanks guys, great info.  Ogframer, that 60 day window was exactly what I was looking for.

With the above in mind, when I want to go back to NJ (while I'm a MA resident) to visit, can I bring my firearms to shoot at the range with my parents?  My FID has my parent's NJ address (they're not moving) and the permits I purchased the handguns with are all for that address. 

I will be a MA resident so I'm assuming b/c my current address will no longer reconcile with the NJ address on my permits i'll be out-of-compliance.  Thoughts?

Oh man, you picked one of the two or three states worse than NJ for gun laws!

Not true. NY and MA have magazine restrictions and onerous residency and character requirements, but they allow concealed carry. NJ is the only state that does not.

MA has an approved handgun list, similar to CA.  If your handgun is not on that list, it's banned in the state, regardless of the lack of "evil features".  I don't like that idea at all. 

Peruse the list yourself.  I think you'll be surprised how short it is and how few manufacturers have subscribed to the MA state testing.  

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/approvedfirearmsroster05-2013amended.pdf

yeah that.

Nothing from springfield Armory!

MA has an approved handgun list, similar to CA.  If your handgun is not on that list, it's banned in the state, regardless of the lack of "evil features".  I don't like that idea at all. 

Peruse the list yourself.  I think you'll be surprised how short it is and how few manufacturers have subscribed to the MA state testing.  

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/approvedfirearmsroster05-2013amended.pdf

I'm glad I started my research early...that list is very short.

I've heard CA will grant exceptions if you're willing to invest the time and paperwork; but I don't know how effective is.  I'll have to search if MA also has exceptions...considering how short that list is, I'm hoping they do.

That's cool! 

Anyone knows price per month for storage? 

I don't need it now, but would be good to know for future.