zoid

Can you "limp wrist" a shotgun?

I know this is a term for handguns, but let me explain.  I was out at Ft. Dix today on the trap range.  

I had three guests, all of whom were very new to shotguns (to be honest I'm pretty new myself).  

Every time they used it and went to extract the shell it would get stuck and they would have to 

struggle with it a bit before they could properly pump the shotgun  Every time I used it it would 

never happen.  

The only thing I could notice is their stance was not a rigid as mine.  I was a little "loose" I guess

you could say in that they didn't put as much as their body and weight into the butt of the shotgun.

Would this induce some type of malfunction much like how if you loosely hold a handgun it can 

cause it to not cycle properly?  

The shotgun in question is a Remington 870 that is very new (less than 100 rounds through it).  

Shells used were Remington Target loads (7 1/2 I believe).  

Thanks for your help.

It sounds like your friends were "short shucking" or "short stroking" the shotgun.  A lot of inexperience shooters do not fully pump the action all the way back and forth, this causes the type of malfunctions you describe.

Just to clarify, we were only doing one shell at a time.  So in this case when you open the chamber you should do so 

with a good amount of force correct?  Because I was telling them to use a lot of forward motion when chambering the

round.  But I wasn't really telling them make sure to rack it back fully and with force.  Probably because I was more 

focused on just getting the empty shell out.  

Just to clarify, we were only doing one shell at a time.  So in this case when you open the chamber you should do so 

with a good amount of force correct?  Because I was telling them to use a lot of forward motion when chambering the

round.  But I wasn't really telling them make sure to rack it back fully and with force.  Probably because I was more 

focused on just getting the empty shell out.  

Pull the pump all the way back hard until the shell ejects, then send it back like you life depends on that next round entering the chamber.  People new to pump shotguns sometimes go to easy on the pump.  I short stroked my first pump the first time I had it on the range then learned you need force in your action to cycle the shotgun properly.

And pre-emptive strike on the jokers out there, yes I short stroked it...

As the proud owner of a pump for decades, I'll add this:

If it's a new scattergun, chances are that it's not properly lubricated along the rails and everywhere else that there's metal-to-metal contact points.  Not saying that's the case here, but lots of Noobs just take a gun out of the box and start shooting it.  I can tell from several yards away just by the sound of the "stroke" whether or not the scattergun is too dry.  Lube it up with some oil AFTER getting the packing grease off the rails and wimpy friends will be able to stroke your gun easier.  Once the rails "wear-in", you'll notice it's easier to stroke it.  An authoritative stroke should send that hull flying out of the way.  Eventually you might get fast enough and coordinated enough to be able to engage 5 steel poppers in 2.5 sec's.....

Dave

Shootist

Does this actually qualify as a short stroke? or a puss* stroke? kekeke

I mean even when short stroking, typically the shell ejects, but the person assumes they have gone far back enough to load the next one... which is why it is a problem. Sounds like they aren't giving the necessary force to allow the ejector to work properly. Even if you fully stroke the action, you can still manage this if you don't allot the ejector to pop the shell out.

Any gun you will ever use that has an extracting mechanism will do this... On an AR if you pull back the lever gently it will not throw the cartridge out like it should, or any auto pistol for that matter...

IMO the action of a firearm should never be worked gently. They are made to be used under extreme force.

And to answer your question, there can be a "limp wrist" scenario with shotguns, but auto only... just like u can only do it with an auto pistol... if you absorb to much of the recoil used in cycling it will cause a short stroke of the action..

Does this actually qualify as a short stroke? or a puss* stroke? kekeke

I mean even when short stroking, typically the shell ejects, but the person assumes they have gone far back enough to load the next one... which is why it is a problem. Sounds like they aren't giving the necessary force to allow the ejector to work properly. Even if you fully stroke the action, you can still manage this if you don't allot the ejector to pop the shell out.

Any gun you will ever use that has an extracting mechanism will do this... On an AR if you pull back the lever gently it will not throw the cartridge out like it should, or any auto pistol for that matter...

IMO the action of a firearm should never be worked gently. They are made to be used under extreme force.

And to answer your question, there can be a "limp wrist" scenario with shotguns, but auto only... just like u can only do it with an auto pistol... if you absorb to much of the recoil used in cycling it will cause a short stroke of the action..

Supposedly can occur with long-recoil and short-recoil operated shotguns (I.E. Browning A5's & Benelli's,) but not so much with gas-auto's. Although, I've never experienced it with an A5. Not much different than inertia-set triggers on double-guns. If you don't have the buttstock firmly against your shoulder upon firing the first shot then the recoil won't set the remaining barrel's hammer/sear for the follow-up shot.