zoid

What's the "Sight Picture" on a Shotgun?

Total newb here to shotguns. I don't even know if there really is a "sight picture" for a shotgun.

But what am I supposed to see or not see when I'm aiming for a target?  Specifically a clay 

bird.  

When I shoot trap the targets seem to break when the bead is right under the bird.  So I 

see the target at all times.  I've also heard of people covering the bird as well.  This never

works for me though.

Is there any correct way or does it kind of vary based on person, choke, barrel, etc.?  

Entirely based on the gun.

When you shoulder the shotgun, you should have your eye in a position where you cannot see the barrel, and the only thing in your line of vision is the bead at the end of the barrel. In order to determine where you should be pointing the shotgun, you need to pattern it. Check out Glenn's tutorial here: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/23036-how-to-pattern-your-shotgun-and-why-your-choke-may-be-lying/

+2 what Jon and Sell682 said. You should pattern any shotgun before taking it to the range or afield.

Two videos explaining stock fit and sight picture. Experienced shooters can tell you what their ideal stock dimensions are down to an 1/8th of an inch. Fit is most important because your eye is the rear sight. Where it aligns on the stock is crucial to where your pattern goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLHTQtMQw84

Great info guys thanks.  

One question though, how do you get your gun to "fit" you?  A custom stock?  

I just got an 870 cause it was cheap and available.  Obviously it will come with

the stock stock (not to be redundant).  

What do you do to adjust drop, LOP, etc.?  After market units?  Change your stance?  

Buy "Breaking Clays" by Chris Batha. It answers everything you asked for and lots you never thought of - selecting a shotgun, stock length & fitting, eye dominance, stance, physical training, mounting the gun, sighting the gun, points of aim, lead, clay games, rules, shotgun selection for ladies... things like "proper hold for different stations."

I'd invest in the book before you start modifying your gun.

Great info guys thanks.  

I just got an 870 cause it was cheap and available.  Obviously it will come with

What do you do to adjust drop, LOP, etc.?  After market units?  Change your stance?  

If your stock is too low you can adjust it with a comb adapter kit like this:

http://www.beartooth-products.com/shop/vmchk/comb-raising-kits.html

Great info guys thanks.  

Check around for a gunsmith who can cut the stock down for you. I had a shotgun custom fitted to my wife with a new buttpad for $100 even.

Chris Batha has very good videos on line .I spoke to him at orvis last year and told him since following his advice my average on rabbit targets was much better his response was he was going to watch the video again because he needed to improve