Heavyopp

AR15 for coyote and fox

I just got a paper copy of the compendium and am liking the new regs -- 

.17 thru .25 caliber centerfire rifle legal for coyote and fox thru any NJ legal rifle during the special season Jan. 1 to March 31 2014

Rifle must only have 3 rounds or less in it at any time

I also don't see a WMA restriction meaning rifle use on wildlife management areas is allowed as far as I can tell

This could get interesting...

Some of us have been hunting coyotes for years and know how frustrating it is. I expect next January we will have plenty of company becuase guys can now legally bring their ARs to the woods. It will be interesting to see how long it will take for the out cry from the Antis.

Remember we are in NJ. Out West ARs are commonly used for coyotes

I've never tried hunting coyote but do have friends who have been for years in NJ --  Never harvested a yote --  Now they have seen them but those smart buggers wouldn't come into shotgun range

The rifle changes that --  and why not with an AR -- just remember to never have more than 3 rounds in the gun --  I wouldn't expect the yotes to let you get more than 3 shots off anyway

I'd also be willing to bet that the rifle hunting classes will be full for the next few months

So I wonder now if we can practice with ar's at WMA ranges!!?!?

Nope. That wasn't part of the change. (You've been able to hunt woodchucks with centerfire rifles and AR's on private property for years but their practice use on a WMA range is not allowed.)