Rob0115

Could use some shotgun help

I want to shoot at the clay range in Fairfield, NJ and have an opportunity to get a browning citori o/u 20 guage for a good price. My question is will this be a good gun for this use?

Rob,

You have a few things to consider. If this is a dedicated trap gun, then a 20 gauge may not be the best choice just because of the longer distances at which you will be shooting targets, particularly as you improve and move further back from the 16 yard line. 

For any other clay disciplines, the 20 gauge is a good choice in my opinion (especially skeet). Ammo is nearly as easy to find as 12 gauge. The only downside is that 20 gauge target ammo costs more than 12 gauge. Just by components (i.e. more powder and more shot), you would think the opposite, but it's true. I think it's just because so much more 12 gauge is produced that you get an economy of scale. 

My 20 Gauge Browning side-by-side and Ithaca pump come with me every time when upland bird hunting (primary and backup). I have been known to take the Browning to shoot skeet too, where the shots are all pretty close.  I am considering taking my Browning to Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays, wher all the shots seem to be nice and up close. It wouldn't be as good a choice for other SC course with longer shots. 

If you bail on the 20 gauge, I might be interested. :)

Dedicated skeet gun. I live about 2.5 miles from the range in Fairfield and have never gone and I've always wanted to try. Now my wife wants to try it too. I'm not sure of the distances there but it seems to be pretty short range shooting--I could be wrong because I've never walked on the range and I've never shot skeet.

Thanks.

Sure why not. Do you already have an over under? Browning makes a good gun This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

It'll be my first shotgun. I'm not much of a hunter but would like to take advantage of my proximity to the clay place in Fairfield.

Dedicated skeet gun. I live about 2.5 miles from the range in Fairfield and have never gone and I've always wanted to try. Now my wife wants to try it too. I'm not sure of the distances there but it seems to be pretty short range shooting--I could be wrong because I've never walked on the range and I've never shot skeet.

Thanks.

It sounds like it would be perfect. My only question would be to see if it's a field gun. Most people like 28" barrels or more for a skeet gun. My Browning is a field model, so it is 26". Since i am not good enough for it to matter, I don't care or notice the difference. The other reason I ask is that light field guns are not always the best choice for women who might be recoil averse. Heavier guns soak up recoil better. Often times, it is a delicate balance where a gun isn't too heavy for a woman to hold and use, but is heavy enough to not give her a pounding. You can always try a slipon recoil pad. The only downside to them is that they increase length of pull and can screw with inertial hammer systems (think "limp wristing" on a Glock). 

I thought it was 28 but will check. As far as weight goes--it seemed really heavy compared to the others I held. Even the guy with the gun commented that it weighed a lot and he has lots of shotguns. The gun is prob 40 yrs old and looks really clean.

a heavy gun kicks less.heavy 20's kick even less.A browning citori is the best deal in a high quality o/u it should last a 100k before needing any serious repairs .last point if it wasn't such a good gun why is there a line forming in case the deal falls thru

The Citori is a great gun as others have noted, but you might be at a disadvantage with a 20 ga. shooting trap. At the standard distance for trap, you are positioned 16 yds. behind the trap house and break the target as it rises, which is usually another 10 yards or further from the trap house. At this distance, a 20 ga. would suffice, but when shooting any of the handicap distances or handicap doubles you will be at a disadvantage.

I also would recommend staying with a 12 gauge unless you absolutely can not handle the recoil. I would also counsel a semi auto 12 before going to a 20.

Also might avoid it if the barrel is less than 30 inches. Since this is your first shotgun, you may want to use it for other clay sports like sporting clays as well.

You might want to go to Thunder Mountain and use their guns first to get a feel of what you are comfortable with first.

Fairfield is a great place, but does not rent guns or sell ammo, not as easy for the first timers.

Browning makes a nice gun and if the price is right jump on it. From a previous post it sounds like this would be your first time on clays. If so a 12gauge might be easier to learn on. A 12gauge she'll holds more shot than a 20gauge does and will increase your chances of dusting that clay. If the price is right jump on that 20gauge for later and buy a cheap 12gauge to learn on.

Hey Rob, let me know when you want to head out to the Fairfield trap range. I'm looking to go sometime soon since I cant make the Lehigh Valley meets and there is no meet at Clinton this month. I typically go on Thursdays since they're open till dark. $7 a round.

I also would recommend staying with a 12 gauge unless you absolutely can not handle the recoil. I would also counsel a semi auto 12 before going to a 20

I disagree with this. There very few things that a 20 gauge will not do 90% as well as a 12 gauge, but with only 60% of the recoil. The ammo is a little more expensive than 12, so that is a consideration. As is long range shooting (>40 yards), if that is an intended use.

Hey Rob, let me know when you want to head out to the Fairfield trap range. I'm looking to go sometime soon since I cant make the Lehigh Valley meets and there is no meet at Clinton this month. I typically go on Thursdays since they're open till dark. $7 a round.

I'd love to do it.

I don't mind starting with a cheap 20 to see if I like it. If I really enjoy it and get into it, I'll spend a couple bucks.

Lalo, I'd really like to connect with you over there. Be mindful I've never done this before. If that doesn't bother you I'd be happy to do it.

I'd love to do it.

I don't mind starting with a cheap 20 to see if I like it. If I really enjoy it and get into it, I'll spend a couple bucks.

Lalo, I'd really like to connect with you over there. Be mindful I've never done this before. If that doesn't bother you I'd be happy to do it.

20g and 12g guns will be relatively the same price. I didn't catch your location but your welcome to come to the Clinton wma anytime and can use my thrower. You should really come Saturday to the Lehigh shoot