Arne

NJ Firearm Law and Civil War

Given Sen. Tom Harkin's warning this morning on the Senate floor:

"It's dangerous. It's very dangerous. I believe, Mr. President, we are at one of the most dangerous points in our history right now. Every bit as dangerous as the break-up of the Union before the Civil War."

What are the legal differences, rules and responsibilities of lawful firearm owners in a period of civil war in the State of New Jersey?

I would say it would be pretty much the same as any one who is a non-gun-owner.  Stay in your home, keep to yourself and try to find food when you can.

A Second American Civil War would make Yugoslavia look like Romper Room.  There is nothing romantic about it.  

If you have any romantic notions about grabbing your AR and charging the barricades at the statehouse your life will be brutal and short.  Don't forget that this isn't paintball.  This isn't airsoft.  These are real bullets.  And once your buddy's head explodes you will have second thoughts about what you came to do.  I have been to war.  It's not romantic.  It is blood and piss and $hit and raw, mind-numbing fear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for overthrowing tyrants.  But I think we romanticize that 1860-1865 period of our history as gunsmoke and campfires and "give 'em the steel boys!" The re-enactors never re-enact the hospital tents of crying boys and the mountains of sawed-off limbs.

If there was a genuine civil war in this country, you would probably be too busy trying to feed your family to do much fighting.  NJ is able to eat because of the PA turnpike and I-95.  Cut those two arteries and 8.7 million people, along with New York, essentially starve to death.  Your weapons or duties during a civil war would be the least of your concerns.

I would say it would be pretty much the same as any one who is a non-gun-owner.  Stay in your home, keep to yourself and try to find food when you can.

A Second American Civil War would make Yugoslavia look like Romper Room.  There is nothing romantic about it.  

If you have any romantic notions about grabbing your AR and charging the barricades at the statehouse your life will be brutal and short.  Don't forget that this isn't paintball.  This isn't airsoft.  These are real bullets.  And once your buddy's head explodes you will have second thoughts about what you came to do.  I have been to war.  It's not romantic.  It is blood and piss and $hit and raw, mind-numbing fear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for overthrowing tyrants.  But I think we romanticize that 1860-1865 period of our history as gunsmoke and campfires and "give 'em the steel boys!" The re-enactors never re-enact the hospital tents of crying boys and the mountains of sawed-off limbs.

If there was a genuine civil war in this country, you would probably be too busy trying to feed your family to do much fighting.  NJ is able to eat because of the PA turnpike and I-95.  Cut those two arteries and 8.7 million people, along with New York, essentially starve to death.  Your weapons or duties during a civil war would be the least of your concerns.

A sobering and very accurate depiction of what a minority see as some romantic opportunity to lock and load.

I would say it would be pretty much the same as any one who is a non-gun-owner. Stay in your home, keep to yourself and try to find food when you can.

A Second American Civil War would make Yugoslavia look like Romper Room. There is nothing romantic about it.

If you have any romantic notions about grabbing your AR and charging the barricades at the statehouse your life will be brutal and short. Don't forget that this isn't paintball. This isn't airsoft. These are real bullets. And once your buddy's head explodes you will have second thoughts about what you came to do. I have been to war. It's not romantic. It is blood and piss and $hit and raw, mind-numbing fear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for overthrowing tyrants. But I think we romanticize that 1860-1865 period of our history as gunsmoke and campfires and "give 'em the steel boys!" The re-enactors never re-enact the hospital tents of crying boys and the mountains of sawed-off limbs.

If there was a genuine civil war in this country, you would probably be too busy trying to feed your family to do much fighting. NJ is able to eat because of the PA turnpike and I-95. Cut those two arteries and 8.7 million people, along with New York, essentially starve to death. Your weapons or duties during a civil war would be the least of your concerns.

Well said.

Too many think its all glory. There's definitely a lot of romanticizing civil wars, resistance movements, revolutions, etc on gun forums.

Marshal law. Eventually sent to camps if it gets bad. Unless the military backs the people it'll be really bad. But if it's like some UN involvement vs the US the people will win. We don't have things like apache's or Abrams so it would be rough. The only way to beat that is with numbers and people on the inside (oathkeepers)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Amen

Here is what I already have

Good start. IMO, eventually survival would distll down to those that have the knowledge and skill to live off the land. I'm aiming for a "bug in" of 2 weeks then a bug out to PA as this area is too densely populated to sustain personal/family security indefinitely. I'm in a location that would allow me to sustain my immediate family for a while, but the reality of "others" interferring with that is too great to realistically stay put too long. Heading for the hills, after crossing the Delaware, is more logical for me. I'm by no means a true " survivalist," but I've got the knowledge and skills to outlast the average Joe.

Fun reading: http://www.survivalistboards.com/

You ain't going to PA... They'll blow the bridges first. Better hope it wont be cold or start swimming. Or add a boat to your list.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

You ain't going to PA... They'll blow the bridges first. Better hope it wont be cold or start swimming. Or add a boat to your list.

Typos courtesy Apple...

Got the boat / float covered. I wont be able to take the Jeep with me, but once on the other side, I'll stand a fighting chance.

Got the boat / float covered. I wont be able to take the Jeep with me, but once on the other side, I'll stand a fighting chance.

Better hope they don't close their borders.

Typos courtesy Apple...

Sheesh. Politicians being Drama Llamas STFU you idiots. Makes not a bit of difference, it's highly unlikely, at all , ever, for a 2nd Civil War to come about in the USA.  Too many people with too much to lose, it won't happen.  What was Yugoslavia had a very long history of slicing each other up for a couple hundred years.  One can always be prepared, though, with supplies and such. Most probably use them in times of disaster like Sandy. Holding off the hordes of unprepared unwashed with your AR/Shotgun/AK/SKS/Glock is a delusional fantasy that should be grounds for firearms confiscation if you believe it will happen.

Given Sen. Tom Harkin's warning this morning on the Senate floor: "It's dangerous. It's very dangerous. I believe, Mr. President, we are at one of the most dangerous points in our history right now. Every bit as dangerous as the break-up of the Union before the Civil War." What are the legal differences, rules and responsibilities of lawful firearm owners in a period of civil war in the State of New Jersey?

I mean I don't think too many of us WANT to go to war against our government. In fact I think the government will have to become even more tyrannical before it would ever happen. But history teaches us one thing: we WILL have a revolution eventually. Eventually they will squeeze when there is not a thing more they can squeeze and we will snap. But right now we still are more comfortable than just about any other country so I don't really see it happening any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Well put mcbethr.

A sobering and very accurate depiction of what a minority see as some romantic opportunity to lock and load.

A very small minority and they live on the internet.

Now, back to reality. This is 2013. It will never happen. As for New Jersey, no one is giving up their season passes at Giant's Stadium to fight for anything or anybody.

Well put mcbethr.

Now, back to reality. This is 2013. It will never happen. As for New Jersey, no one is giving up their season passes at Giant's Stadium to fight for anything or anybody.

+1

And I'm only Danish on my Grandmothers side.

Well put mcbethr.

Come down to south jersey. An eagles game can be confused with a war zone

Come down to south jersey. An eagles game can be confused with a war zone

I remember Jet's games at Shea when I was young. I was 14 and my folks would let me and my friend talk a bus and then the train into NY. It was just the two of us. We were two babes in the woods out there.

Better hope they don't close their borders.

Typos courtesy Apple...

Noted. If the Mexicans can cross an international boarder, I don't think getting across the Delaware will be much of a challenge. Hell, Washington did it and he was up against the most powerful military in the world. (Not that I'm comparing myself to him by any means.)

Not enough to protect our borders from cans. Not a big enough threat. But put a bunch of NJ haters along the Delaware with guns, watch how fast you retreat.

Especially if you need or want to take their supplies..., lmao!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2