Heavyopp

Some real grungy brass turned to Bling

Thats an interesting experiment you got going there Duane --   I'd pull the trigger on those rounds 

What's the worst that happens -- Squib --  We see them even when we're using good ammo

Just have to be aware and anything that doesn't seem right gets the barrel checked before another round goes thru

How many rounds do you have like this??

I would expect an experiment like this from Porthole --  when he took posession of his tumbler, his 1st project was to dry tumble surplus .308s he had that where too grungy for his rifle

200 of the white box ball FMJ's and about 300 of the JHP's.

I thought the JHP's were all 230 grain. I have to go through the boxes. They may all be 185 grain or a mix of 185 -230.

Either way, they are Magtech Guardian Gold 45 auto +P's. Those alone are $250 new

3-350 of the now trashed blazers.

All of it belongs to a friend whose house was flooded. He was just going to trash it so there was really nothing to lose but time.

I will be trying it out, first in a revolver then in one of the autos.

Not worried. I have found ammo over the years that was submerged. Some is obviously trashed, some looked good. When the powder get wet it tends to start bubbling past the bullet when exposed to air.

If I didn't have the tumbler to play with it all would have been trashed.

I didn't weigh the drum.

I did all 200 FMJ balls at once and it worked fine.

The JHP's I split about 50/50 along with some empties and the loose bullets.

I wouldn't be surprised if the the total weight wasn't close to 30-40 pounds.200 FMJ's almost 10 pounds, 10 pounds of media, about 1.5 gallons of water, another 12-15 pounds.

Jeremy's tumbler is heavy duty and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Range report.

Using my S&W governor first then an old Colt combat 1911.

Approximately 1 out of 10-15 was a failure to fire. Using the S&W for multiple strikes did not help.

All of the rounds that fired normally did just that. Accuracy was the same as other ACP that I brought to the range. The report seemed to be the same as well.

One of the Winchester white boxes rounds had a slight split in the case. The W's also had what appeared to be the least amount of "water sitting". For the most part they looked good before I took them out of the box.

The rounds were so smooth and slippery from the tumbling that it was easy to have them slip from my fingers while loading.

Shot maybe 80-100, didn't keep count.

Gave all the cleaned up stuff back to my buddy and he in turn gave me half back.

Good enough for me to use at the range :fan:

BTW, this past ThursdayI don't think there were more then a 1/2 dozen people at CJRPC

$20 at Loews, heavy duty stainless BBQ grill accessory.

Heavy duty and fits a 5 gallon bucket. Should be great for sifting the media.

Out of season it's probably on sale too...

Are the holes big enough to let the media fall thru easily?

I've been using the case separators from Dawson.  

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000F2B-1300911726

They are large enough to hold all the cases from a full drum and fit on a standard 5 gallon bucket.

Plus, if your going to spend 20 on a collider you might as well spend 38 on something that has a dual purpose.

611-001.jpg

I hope my reloading HOE bought a wet tumbler from you Jeremey, I like my brass CLEAN!!!!!!!!!!

How did I miss-out on this thread, bummer, I love to get involved in other peoples poo.  :)

Sheeeeeet!  I got this tumbler BECAUSE your brass was so damn filthy.

Cool thanks. Is lemon shine easy to find? To be honest I really haven't looked.

It's called Lemishine --  I get it at target -- usually in with the dishwashing detergent --  There is a liquid and a crystal lemishine -- you want the crystal

Posted Image

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005I0K5CA/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

works great for seperating pins from brass with no mess or pins to pickup

I actually just got this a few days ago and it's really made things much easier than dumping over a screen into a bucket.

Nice --  What is that you have to separate your media?

Was 200 9mm cases a full load on the thumlers?  

I was just out in the shop --  I'm thinking about putting together a double 8" drum tumbler  -- not sure what the capacity will be but it will be substantial