Bully

S&W 617, Ruger SP101, or Something Else???

Starting the hunt for a .22 revolver.  MUST be a DA/SA  I love my Smith's, don't get me wrong, but availability and pricing is tough to say the least. 

The SP is set up nicely with FO front sight already and the size of it is very friendly to newer shooters. Nice price as well. 

Charter, Taurus/Rossi, H&R...  neat guns but how's the quality?  Pricing is certainly attractive.

I'm looking for suggestions.  Pros and cons to each.  Use will be trainer for new(er) shooters and range toy.  First hand experience always trumps "I heard". 

Thanks in advance.

C

I know the gun of choice is the 617.  Really nice guns but it's difficult to wrap my head around paying that much for a .22.  They actually have the very model I'm looking for at an LGS, however it's priced a touch too high, which is typical for this shop.  Really, really nice gun.

The Taurus BLF mentioned is on the list.  Nice looking guns with a great price point BUT I've personally had a bad experience with a Taurus and it's very difficult for me to trust their QC.  Also, the review on that gun are about 50/50.  However, she's on the list. 

I'd love to hear any personal experiences with Charter Arms.  I like that they're American.  And the price point is nice.  However, their reviews run about 50/50 as well. 

C

I know the gun of choice is the 617.  Really nice guns but it's difficult to wrap my head around paying that much for a .22.  They actually have the very model I'm looking for at an LGS, however it's priced a touch too high, which is typical for this shop.  Really, really nice gun.

The Taurus BLF mentioned is on the list.  Nice looking guns with a great price point BUT I've personally had a bad experience with a Taurus and it's very difficult for me to trust their QC.  Also, the review on that gun are about 50/50.  However, she's on the list. 

I'd love to hear any personal experiences with Charter Arms.  I like that they're American.  And the price point is nice.  However, their reviews run about 50/50 as well. 

C

I'm biast, but I think in the long run you'll be happier with the 617. Even if you decide to sell, they only go up in value - cant lose.

What is the price of the 617 vs the Taurus? Like I said, they can be found for around 700 all day long. 

I can't say I wouldn't want a S&W 617, but the Ruger SP101 is a very nice one as well, but the trigger is quite heavy and pulling the hammer back is, too.   If you get the Ruger, I recommend that you get a Hogue grip for it.

Thanks all.

The SP101 is on the list.  Harder to find locally.  Seemingly impossible, actually.

The Taurus is 539 locally.  With both cylinders.  The Smith is 799.  Big difference.  But Alec, I agree with you that resale on the Smith is much better if ever it should go that way.

I would love more input as I do have plenty of time.

BLF, although I would love to, finances dictate that that won't happen.

C

I can't say I wouldn't want a S&W 617, but the Ruger SP101 is a very nice one as well, but the trigger is quite heavy and pulling the hammer back is, too.   If you get the Ruger, I recommend that you get a Hogue grip for it.

the ruger trigger on the 22 is EXTREMELY heavy, I fired one, the trigger must of been at least 20 pounds, no joke.

The 617 can be taken down to about 7-9 lbs with little effort. 

I have the 617, my favorite gun.

My particular piece is very choosy about ammo, however. 22 colibri work fine, but shorts cause it to jam. It will only reliably shoot .22lr "match" caliber and a few brands of bulk ammo. "Golden Bullets" cause excessive leading. I wonder if something isn't wrong with the gun.

I picked up a 617 a few months ago mainly because i shot Alec's at WCS.  Got it off of GB for 725 and absolutely love it!

Your more than welcome to come down to OB and give it a try...  You supply the 22 of course  :nomention:

Hey Nick, I would love to take you up on that however getting out for that long to make that trip is proving difficult lately.  I'm actively looking for a 4" 617 at a decent price.  I'm not in any kind of rush.

C