danw77

Mosin M38 or M44?

OK, I thought I was all set to get an M91, but I think I've changed my mind. I'm having a hard time choosing between the M38 and the M44. As far as I can tell the only difference is the bayonet. I don't really have a use for the bayonet and like the looks of the M38 better, but based on what I've read here and on other sites, the M38 will likely be in worse shape than the M44. Is this correct?

Buds has them both in stock for around $250. As much as I'd prefer to buy one that I can put my hands on first, haven't been able to find either locally. Thought/ideas? If it was you, what would you do?

M38's are more collectable but finding a nice one is hard to do. Most are counter bored and and not very pretty. They also kick more than any other Mosin. Nice M44's are relatively easy to come by. Plus they look cooler, have a bayonet the added weight of which reduces recoil. Just my 2 cents

Your probably not going to find a M38 at a store front in NJ. The M38 and M44 are more desireable if it has a discreet import mark and stamped matching numbers. The M38 is hard to find and to find one with the m38 stock is even harder.Pretty much all of the later ones have a m44 stock.

M38 over an m44. They are a little more collectible and they are a bit easier to wield IMO. The m44s are nice, don't get me wrong, but are a little front heavy. It also depends on how much your going to shoot it as well. I will say m44s look a little cooler since they have a bayo. If you can find an m38 with a real m38 stock, and overall its nice, hop on it.

I have a nice collection of both, feel free to PM me.

And you can't go wrong with a chinese 53 by the way. They usually have beat up stocks but most are mechanically good. They're a good option if you don't want to spend the extra money on the 44/38. The extra money is worth it but the 53 with a nice bore (which are somewhat rare) can't be beat for $150.

Im not sure if you know but realize a carbine has a little more recoil than the 8 foot long 91/30. Most of us have no issues with it but some do so just want to throw that out there as I don't think its been mentioned.

OK, I thought I was all set to get an M91, but I think I've changed my mind. I'm having a hard time choosing between the M38 and the M44. As far as I can tell the only difference is the bayonet. I don't really have a use for the bayonet and like the looks of the M38 better, but based on what I've read here and on other sites, the M38 will likely be in worse shape than the M44. Is this correct?

Buds has them both in stock for around $250. As much as I'd prefer to buy one that I can put my hands on first, haven't been able to find either locally. Thought/ideas? If it was you, what would you do?

you guys are killing me.  I need to get one of these

I have a Russian M44 in stock that's all matching and in rearsenaled excellent condition. I had posted it in the market place for $289, but it needs to go, so $259 is the current price.

There's a Mosin deal going on right now via the NJ2AS Facebook page.  I'm currently waiting on a "good" condition rifle.

Eric Saperstein is the one driving this

We are continuing our deal for Russian 91/30 Mosin Nagant's 7.62x54R surplus rifles. Good condition $139, Excellent condition $179 - includes shipping - plus $10 PICS and PA sales tax.

CALL 215-297-5444 (General Defense Outfitters) to reserve a good rifle at $50 or excellent rifle at $100 ... deposit required to lock in your purchase

We are looking to sell out a purchase of 10 goods (I think there are ONLY 4 left now) and continue to sell out in groups of 10 excellent rifles to make the deal! This buys us the free shipping deal from our supplier so everybody saves! There are lots of excellent rifles available so please KEEP ORDERING! Hoping the good rifles are in by month end, we have excellents available now and more pending on order that arrive within a week.

These rifles are from arsenal storage - packed in cosmoline, they come with bayonets and accessories as shown below. Yes - you MUST clean them yourself or join us in November for a cosmoline party. Info pending for November 3rd in Kingwood Township, NJ at Clover Rod & Gun Club. 

Rifles rated as excellent will have matching #'s. Some pitting and imperfections will be apparent - if its cosmetic then it is as-is. Any safety issues will be addressed as appropriate. Rifles are 80+ years old - but are known worldwide to be reliable, accurate (military accurate), powerful, and great fun to shoot.

Surplus ammunition remains readily available at reasonable prices less than $.25 per round - the best deal we have fund is Sportsman's guide for the $.17 per round range. Stocks and other accessories are readily available. They are easy to break down with a single tool that comes with the rifle. 

This NJ2AS Package deal is available through General Defense Outfitters (www.gdousa.com) – located outside of New Hope, PA GDO is an FFL dealer; a small shop dedicated to providing customer service and reasonable pricing by maintaining low overhead and limited inventory. Open to NJ and PA residents this package deal requires all FPID or state requirements be met in full and a face-to-face purchase completed by the final new owner of the firearm.

If you are a new shooter and this is your first firearm or shotgun - PLEASE ask questions. NJ2AS is rich with experience and knowledge, our membership includes instructors, FFL's, gunsmiths, and lifetime shooters and hunters. Tapping into this resource is perhaps the best choice you can make if you have any questions!

Respect for firearms and a love for the rights and freedoms we have in this great nation is a requirement for this purchase. As always, we expect you all to store and use your firearms responsibly and safely.

Thanks to Mike Kelly for the photo! (Ammo shown NOT included in package!)

1237669_10202301105755271_385461861_n.jp