bhunted

Smart guns coming to NJ?

Posted on December 24, 2002 at 6:00:27 PM EST by dbwz

Taurus International partners with the New Jersey Institute of Technology in a "Personalized Weapons Technology" research and development project.

(for detailed information on this project, please follow this link to the New Jersey Institute of Technology report at www.njit.edu)

(MIAMI, FL, June 27) Taurus International Manufacturing, Inc. announced today that it has partnered with the prestigious New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) (www.njit.edu), in the pursuit of "Personalized Weapons Technology", sometimes erroneously referred to as "Smart Gun Technology", which will provide user identifiable firing controls for firearms. The NJIT has been working on this project for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks, so I guess no Taurus Judge for me. 

Twenty-three months after the Attorney General finds that smart handguns are available for retail sale, the Attorney General and the Superintendent of State Police must begin the process of promulgating a list of such handguns that may be sold in New Jersey. This process must be completed within six months.

Six months after the initial list of handguns is approved, it will be unlawful for any licensed manufacturer, wholesaler, or retail firearms dealer to transport into New Jersey, sell, expose for sale, possess with the intent of selling, assign, or otherwise transfer a handgun unless it is a personalized handgun (excluding antique handguns and handguns used by law enforcement or military officers).

Here's the law. I am so comforted knowing the AG and the Superintendent of the State Police get to interpret when a working prototype becomes viable.

Who is John Galt?

I am so excited I figured out how to change my signature.

Time to buy as many "dumb" guns as you can. When they're in short supply you'll make a mint. 

They have been trying to get this passed for years! What is the point of this stupid gun safety. It is simply a horrible idea! What happens if a member of your family is not home and some crackhead kicks in your door out of his mind, armed with a weapon and your family cannot defend themselves since the gun only operates with a certain family members prints. Also what happens if the gun safety malfunctions or is dropped and broken during a scuffle during a carry situation? (out of state of course) What is it with todays society where they are made to fear guns instead of embracing them like a tool which should be respected. I mean an electric saw can cut your finger off but you are taught to keep you finger away from the blade. Keep you guns locked in a safe and follow basic safety rules and you will be fine.

Law is already passed Teky0101, all it takes now is for something to appear in the marketplace (hopefully it will only appear in the NJGF marketplace - that way no one will see it! HAW!)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2002/12/23/new-jersey-smart-gun-legislation-enacted/

12/23/2002 - New Jersey on Monday became the first state to enact "smart gun" legislation that would eventually require new handguns to contain a mechanism that allows only their owners to fire them.

The law will not go into effect immediately because the technology is still under development and it could be years before it becomes a reality. But supporters hailed it as an important milestone in the campaign to reduce handgun deaths.

"This is common-sense legislation. There are safety regulations on cars, on toys. It's clearly time we have safety regulations on handguns," Gov. James E. McGreevey said at Monday's bill signing ceremony. ...

Take a close look at the way the law is written. This is not about putting out a safer gun. It's about banning guns altogether. They don't care if the gun works in the real world. They only need to say it works and is available for sale so they can start the clock on preventing regular handgun sales. 

We can debate endlessly about whether or not it's a useful, reliable piece of equipment. It's not, and it's a distraction. Some pinhead in a back room at the capitol will just say, "Good to go!" And the AG will circle a date on his calendar that the anti's will declare as their greatest day ever.

Our job is to make sure this thing never, ever comes to market.

Thank you for clarifying this for me. Can this bill be vetoed by Christie if this new device becomes widely available? If this means that we can only purchase smart guns what does this mean for our existing firearms? Thank you for your comments!

No, a veto can happen only before a bill is law. This is law. The only way to change is a court overriding it or legislature passing a new law. Under this law existing firearms would be fine. 

No, a veto can happen only before a bill is law. This is law. The only way to change is a court overriding it or legislature passing a new law. Under this law existing firearms would be fine. 

Technically, couldn't a governor do a couple of things?

A.) Direct the AG and head of the NJSP to not enforce it (ie, make it a "low priority"), once it becomes operative. (If they refuse to "obey", remind them that they both serve "at the pleasure of the governor".

B.) Automatically grant pre-emptive pardons and expungements for anyone who gets charged/convicted, by an "uppity" prosecutor disobeying A.)

C.) Grant said pardons for any retailer charged/convicted of selling firearms without a lic, provided that the license was revoked solely for violating this silly "smart gun" law and selling "dumb" guns after some deadline.

Assuming that B.) and C.) were in effect, it would be pretty stupid for any prosecutor to even bother wasting resources on charges/trials/conviction that will be meaningless, and "erased" the instant the judges's gavel hits the bench, due to pardon/expungement.

Now, of course this would require a governor with some balls, and I don't mean the kind served with spaghetti, so it is unlikely.

The AG can make this law moot by not determining that smart guns are viable and trigger the threshold for banning "dumb" guns.

But I'm not really confident about that since the AGs appointed by Christie like gun buybacks and hate right to carry. 

So what do they do when (yes when not if) someone comes out with a jamming device that sends out signals that prevent a gun from firing?

Exempt the police and give themselves immunity to lawsuits. Oh wait they already did.

Hahahahahahahaha IF this law sticks. I suggest civil disobedience. We can cry and complain however if we continue to follow unconstitutional laws that they pass they will continue to pass them. At some point it becomes necessary to ignore the law.

I agree with this in theory. 

However, for those of us who may want to become LEOs or pass the background check for other government positions or industries, having an arrest on the record may throw a wrench in things.  You have to make sacrifices for things you believe in but in some cases you may be downright throwing away a life goal or at least making it much more unlikely.