bhunted

Smart guns coming to NJ?

Just found this front page news today in the Record... The German company Armatix created something that may be sufficient to the anti-gunners.

I totally forgot about this. Now it seems they are getting close to completing it. Total BS... wear a special watch? Kiss my grits on this one!

http://www.northjersey.com/news/state/New_Jerseys_2002_smart-gun_law_could_take_effect_soon_limit_supply.html

“New Jersey’s smart-gun law is as dumb as it gets,” Bach, of West Milford, said in a statement. “It forces you to use an unproven technology to defend your life, and then exempts the state from liability when the gun goes ‘click’ instead of ‘bang.’ If it’s such a great idea, then law enforcement shouldn’t be exempt, and the free market should be allowed to determine its viability.”

Love that line.  If it works so well the law enforcement should be using it also.  God forbid someone gets a hold of their gun, now they can't use it, right?

The irony is the fact still stands that there are billions of existing guns to be had. Criminals will not buy or steal smart guns when they have a plethora to get without any technology. Just more dumb shiet that doesn't stop crime.

On the other hand, if they can make one like Judge Dredd carries, The Law Giver, that will take verbal commands to enact different modes and have ALL the bells and whistles he had, you might persuade me to go for it. But beings that wont happen in my life time, they can kiss my hairy arse!

I don't see it happening. Product liability suits would probably make such a thing a non-starter which is probably the real reason why everyone who ever flirted with it has backed off or run away screaming. Lets not forget for NJIT said they'll have one, Metal Storm said the same, etc, etc.

Based on their webpage, it is another watch/rfid system : http://www.armatix.de/Smart-System.778.0.html?&L=1

Err those things when used on cars can get cloned, and also occasionally break.

And then it still seems like vapor, despite their "atf approved" line.

And then there is the whole monopoly stuff.

I'm willing to bet I can rewire any "smart gun" into a dumb gun with a soldering iron and some time.

Even if it is "trigger by wire", it'd be simple enough to build a tiny circuit to emulate the smart gun process without a wrist watch or palm imprint or wifi permission from the federal government.

The real issue is not if you can rewire it, the problem is one of patents. Lets say these guys succeed and the law comes into effect. You can only buy their gun. A .22 I might add. If they don't license the patent, they own whats left of the market, welcome to defacto ban on defensive calibers.

I'm one of those guys that would take a revolver over a semi auto pistol if we were allow to carry so this isn't for me either. The only concern I'd have is if the A-holes in Trenton would ever have us retrofit the existing firearms, it never ends in this state....

I'm willing to bet I can rewire any "smart gun" into a dumb gun with a soldering iron and some time.

Even if it is "trigger by wire", it'd be simple enough to build a tiny circuit to emulate the smart gun process without a wrist watch or palm imprint or wifi permission from the federal government.

I want the trigger by wire. I'm petty sure that it could be turned full auto REALLY easily. Or better yet, burst fire. 

What the BATFE can grant, they can take away. Even if it does come to makret and the AG declares the smart gun law in effect, it creates an huge aggrieved class to take that law to court. 

I want the trigger by wire. I'm petty sure that it could be turned full auto REALLY easily. Or better yet, burst fire. 

What the BATFE can grant, they can take away. Even if it does come to makret and the AG declares the smart gun law in effect, it creates an huge aggrieved class to take that law to court. 

Converting a single pulse into multiples would be cake for a burst.    To prevent full auto, the trigger would have to have anti tie down logic that requires a reset, so bypassing that would be really easy.   Just bypass the circuit and energize it constantly...when the gun was reset and ready to fire, it would...rapidly. heh.

Yeah... 

So if battery in the "watch" or gun is down or there is some sort of frequency interference - you are screwed. 

Next step would be yearly license fee to operate on that frequency so only active paying users can pull triggers and gov servers are known to never go down...

Every electronic device gets hacked. Gun would be the same. 

Now imagine some hackers having fun with a remote controller, guns can go bang while holstered or stored.

I'll adopt it exactly 2 years after POSUS secret service protection detail uses it.

Best response yet!   I'm going to borrow it.

I'll even waive the 2 year wait.  When the POTUS secret service detail starts using smart guns, I'll do the same.

Not good enough for them?  Not good enough for me.

The article I read in the Star Ledger today didn't go into detail (surprise!), and I've only read talking points on the law before, but is there anything in the law after it goes into effect preventing me from ordering a good old dumb handgun from out of state to my FFL, and me picking that up via the normal process we go through now?  The article only seemed to mention "sales" and not "transfers."  If that's the case, NJ FFLs will be doing a lot of paperwork for transfers, but will only themselves sell 1 or 2 handguns a year after this...

What about private sales?  I've only ever bought new handguns from FFLs so far, but I wouldn't buy a smart gun...which just leaves millions of dumb guns out there already in the hands of private parties...

The modding opportunities sound like fun, and I'm sure within weeks of them coming out, schematics/programming/etc will be available online for anyone to mod and bypass, and eventually people will have spare parts available so you can mod one controller for use on that one friend's farm in the middle of nowhere, and keep the stock parts in the gun otherwise...

Technology no matter how well designed can fail. Sometimes for simple reasons like a dead battery. It's one of the reasons I don't want to use a laser sight.

If the tech is as reliable as the manufacturers say it should be tested in the field for several years by people who use a firearm on a daily basis ie: LE and the military.

The only way I would consider one of these is if it comes with a concealed carry permit. There's an idea maybe we can add that as an amendment to the original bill.

>Open gun
>Remove chip along with piece that prevents gun from firing
>Microwave

Look guys, I fixed it. I can only imagine the shitstorm that the dems will get in if they try to implement this, even if it IS law. I can see the supreme court slapping the state's shit.

Best response yet!   I'm going to borrow it.

I'll even waive the 2 year wait.  When the POTUS secret service detail starts using smart guns, I'll do the same.

Not good enough for them?  Not good enough for me.

Feel free, but make sure you quote it correctly, it's "POSUS" as in Piece of S^&* of the US

Please make sure to send a thank you email to Taurus they were the only gun manufacture to sign an agreement to make a smart gun. This is why I will never own a Taurus used or new. Google Taurus smart gun and you'll see the story. The politicians would have a hard time passing a bill if no companies backed it.

THANKS TAURUS!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Posted on December 24, 2002 at 6:00:27 PM EST by dbwz

Taurus International partners with the New Jersey Institute of Technology in a "Personalized Weapons Technology" research and development project.

(for detailed information on this project, please follow this link to the New Jersey Institute of Technology report at www.njit.edu)

(MIAMI, FL, June 27) Taurus International Manufacturing, Inc. announced today that it has partnered with the prestigious New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) (www.njit.edu), in the pursuit of "Personalized Weapons Technology", sometimes erroneously referred to as "Smart Gun Technology", which will provide user identifiable firing controls for firearms. The NJIT has been working on this project for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Just out of curiosity googled "Taurus smart gun", looks like all interest died by 2005.

Found good old NY Times article from 10 years ago, a lot of details on legislation.

Sorry but you miss the point. This is now been signed so it does not go away it is always hanging over our heads waiting for the state to decide the technology has progressed far enough to be viable. So interest has not died. The politicians will force this on us and Taurus is the only firearms company to sign on. If none did then it would be dead.

Who is John Galt?

I am so excited I figured out how to change my signature.

Twenty-three months after the Attorney General finds that smart handguns are available for retail sale, the Attorney General and the Superintendent of State Police must begin the process of promulgating a list of such handguns that may be sold in New Jersey. This process must be completed within six months.

Six months after the initial list of handguns is approved, it will be unlawful for any licensed manufacturer, wholesaler, or retail firearms dealer to transport into New Jersey, sell, expose for sale, possess with the intent of selling, assign, or otherwise transfer a handgun unless it is a personalized handgun (excluding antique handguns and handguns used by law enforcement or military officers).

Here's the law. I am so comforted knowing the AG and the Superintendent of the State Police get to interpret when a working prototype becomes viable.

Who is John Galt?

I am so excited I figured out how to change my signature.

Hahahahahahahaha IF this law sticks. I suggest civil disobedience. We can cry and complain however if we continue to follow unconstitutional laws that they pass they will continue to pass them. At some point it becomes necessary to ignore the law.