Brian B

IMR 4064 is a PITA

Tried setting up an old Lyman 55 measure ( it was free along with an old T-Mag :) ) for 46 grains of 4064. I kept getting readings between 45.9 and as high as 46.7 ( one throw ). The highest few were 46.5. The average swing was 45.9 to 46.3. 4064 does seem to be a very long stick powder to what I am use to and could be the reason for the variation and the difficulty with the swing arm on the measure. I hit the tap at both the top and bottom for those that are familiar with the 55.

I have been reloading pistol almost 20 years and I am not use to seeing swings like this! Will a .5 grain swing make that much difference with 150-155s in a 30-06? Is this variation acceptable for general range loads or should I go lower and trickle it up separately?

I am under the starting load from IMRs website and do not want to damage the op rod. I hope to stay in the 2500-2600 fps area and have no intention of trying to go 2800 plus. Most of my shooting will be casual 1-200 yard with the occasional 300 thrown in.

Brian

The only way you'll know if that .5 gr swing makes a difference is to shoot them on paper. As far as safety if the high side of that swing is well under max I wouldn't worry about it.

If you like the burn rate of IMR 4064 but want to ease running it thru a measure try Accurate 4064. Its a ball powder that meters well and is what I use in my Garand loads. Its a little slower than the IMR and you might find ourself upping the charge a few grains to get the same results.

Does the lyman 55 measure have a powder baffle inside of it?  

Try removing the baffle and keeping the hopper above half full

This works for me to even out throws with flake powder in both redding and hornady measures

My 55 has no baffle.  The Lyman Ideal 55 has three slide adjustments.  For the coarse powders I just use the largest adjustment and put the two others flush with it.  (If you see it you'll know what I mean)

When I use extruded powders I always end up trickling. 

We'll I went to CJ today and fired off my 30 different reloads of 30-06. The surplus Korean M2 was low to mid 2700s. The 155 Hornady A Max's were all mid to high 2400s. I was happy enough with the velocity spread and was extremely pleased with the lake city loads.

I guess the .5 grain swng didn't make that big of a difference.