alec.mc

USPSA @ OBRPC - 10/27/13

I always have a problem with breaking down the stages and then when I think I got it right when I shoot my plan goes out the window

I'm a little strange when it comes to breaking down a stage and trying to figure out how to "game" it.  I view obstructions and obstacles as a challenge to be engaged, not avoided.  No disrespect to 2Alpha, but I wouldn't have shot that stage the way he did.  I would have used the bridge, scores be damned.  The stage builder intended for it to be used and so I would have used it.

No right or wrong in the discussion...just different points of view.

"A battle plan is only good until the first shot is fired"

On the topic of the way the stage builder intended the stage to be shot, why didn't he add "last four targets need to be engaged while standing on the bridge." Or add a fault line. Or block it some other way?

I thought great stage design is supposed to give you multiple ways to run every stage. Its not just about everyone shooting it the exact same way, its about getting creative in your shooting plans.

Classifiers are rigid. Every other stage should bring out your creative, devious side. Shooting should be a thinking mans game.

I thought great stage design is supposed to give you multiple ways to run every stage.

It's essentially a requirement based in the rules, whereas a stage cannot be limited to targets in one specific area or force a shooter to discharge a certain number of rounds in one spot.  IDPA stages are more ridged.  Classifiers are very ridged. 

Anyone know a calculator so I can figure my HF for the qualifier on Sunday?

I looked at some calculators online, but they don't have the 13-x stages yet.

Is it different than the Hit Factor that is on the "Pistol All Divisions" results file?

Too bad I was told after the fact.  That was the second stage for me.  I think I would've shot the stage avoiding the bridge but not knowing was also cool as I got to shoot from a rickety bridge which I've never done before.  If given the opportunity again, I would avoid the bridge if possible.

"A battle plan is only good until the first shot is fired"

On the topic of the way the stage builder intended the stage to be shot, why didn't he add "last four targets need to be engaged while standing on the bridge." Or add a fault line. Or block it some other way?

I thought great stage design is supposed to give you multiple ways to run every stage. Its not just about everyone shooting it the exact same way, its about getting creative in your shooting plans.

Classifiers are rigid. Every other stage should bring out your creative, devious side. Shooting should be a thinking mans game.

This or set up no shoots so that you can't shoot from the side.

Wish I or someone on my squad would have came up with this.

Nice job M.

I'm a little strange when it comes to breaking down a stage and trying to figure out how to "game" it.  I view obstructions and obstacles as a challenge to be engaged, not avoided.  No disrespect to 2Alpha, but I wouldn't have shot that stage the way he did.  I would have used the bridge, scores be damned.  The stage builder intended for it to be used and so I would have used it.

No right or wrong in the discussion...just different points of view.

The basic idea is for a stage designer to design a stage that will challenge shooters of different skill levels.

As a shooter you are and should be looking to find a way to best shoot the stage within the written stage description and within USPSA rules.

The basic idea is for a stage designer to design a stage that will challenge shooters of different skill levels.

As a shooter you are and should be looking to find a way to best shoot the stage within the written stage description and within USPSA rules.

You know, I was thinking of you when I typed my response, and specifically of the discussion we had about Alex Mc's "Thunderdome" stage.  You suggested to me, in pretty strong terms, that I should engage the spinner and wait for it to stop moving before shooting it.  I wanted to shoot it while moving.  Shooting moving things is fun and not something I get to do often.   

I shoot for fun, and score, and time, in that order.  Your best way to shoot a stage is almost always going to be different than my best way to shoot a stage because we are looking for different things. 

You know, I was thinking of you when I typed my response, and specifically of the discussion we had about Alex Mc's "Thunderdome" stage.  You suggested to me, in pretty strong terms, that I should engage the spinner and wait for it to stop moving before shooting it.  I wanted to shoot it while moving.  Shooting moving things is fun and not something I get to do often.   

I shoot for fun, and score, and time, in that order.  Your best way to shoot a stage is almost always going to be different than my best way to shoot a stage because we are looking for different things. 

I agree everyone is going to shoot different to some extent..  I shoot to have fun the time and score does not matter to me i am their to enjoy myself and help out.. 

For me, I don't see the point of standing around for 8 hrs to shoot for 2 minutes unless you are going to shoot for score.  Practice is a lot more fun and doesn't waste an entire day

Like I said in my earlier post, no right, no wrong...just different points of view. 

I practice a lot.  Tap rack bang, slide lock reloads, clearing jams...blah blah blah.

I never get to shoot from a bridge unless at an event.

I never get to shoot at something moving unless at an event. 

I'm a D shooter, and I'm OK with that.

Now, Speed on Steel...that brings out my competative nature.

I practice a lot.  Tap rack bang, slide lock reloads, clearing jams...blah blah blah.

Why would you put the emphasis on the 3 things that shouldn't happen at matches?  Wouldn't practice be better spent on what happens at a Match; accuracy, transistions and movement

I swear, when I hear you guys talk about practice, it makes my head hurt how wrong headed and ignorant some of you can be.

This is USPSA we are talking about.

If you are going to practice, practice the right things.

Here is my training regimen, for all you neanderthals:

EVERY DAY I practice the following:

Standing

Loading mags with 10 rounds

Making excuses for poor shooting

Looking closely at perforated items to see if I "broke the perf"

Talking about firearms and equipment

Asking people "how are you gonna do this one?"

Practice saying "Man it's hot" or "Man its cold" or "Man it is wet", depending on prevailing conditions

Jeez.

Why would you put the emphasis on the 3 things that shouldn't happen at matches?  Wouldn't practice be better spent on what happens at a Match; accuracy, transistions and movement

I picked three things off the top of my head.

We also practice drawing from the holster for speed.  We practice drawing and firing for accuracy.  We pratice shooting while moving.  We practice transitioning from target to target.  I set up classifiers to practice on those.  El Pres is my favorite.  We practice all of those things, including the others that I mentioned originally because while they shouldn't happen in an event, they do. 

What I can't practice is shooting from a bridge, because I don't own one.

What I can't practice is shooting a spinner, because I don't own one.

: )

I agree everyone is going to shoot different to some extent..  I shoot to have fun the time and score does not matter to me i am their to enjoy myself and help out.. 

Yes, but at some point the score will start to matter a bit.

There is always a squad that is slower the it should be. Over the years we've tried all sorts of things to make that not happen, but it still happens.

The best you can do is identify why they are slow and offer to help. You aren't doing anything anyway, so might as well pitch in if you want them to get out of your way.