pasu0115

hot water heater problem

You're right don't do it yourself, pay someone like you $1200 to install a $500.00 water heater.

Sent from my C6503 using Tapatalk

$1200????? Who the hell do you have installing your water heaters?

My job installs water heaters and they usually work out to be within 600-1000 WITH the heater included

Obviously it depends in the age of the home and the type of work to be at code but it doesn't seem bad.

Our install starts at 299 I think.

$1200????? Who the hell do you have installing your water heaters?

My job installs water heaters and they usually work out to be within 600-1000 WITH the heater included

Obviously it depends in the age of the home and the type of work to be at code but it doesn't seem bad.

Our install starts at 299 I think.

I think you're missinng the point, I would do it myself so I dont have to pay your company 600-1000.

I Get the point. Some people aren't handy, have enough time, or maybe would not like to have the liability if they screw up the job.

We give a 1 year warranty for all labor to give consumers a little piece of mind. You wouldn't believe all the numb nuts weekend warriors that walk in and beg us to fix all the crap the bubba'd up cause home owners, without fail, will cut corners.

Exaggerating by hundreds of dollars doesn't help the op make an informed decision on how to best handle his situation.

If he has Natural gas the yes, Tankless are great -- I'm on 6 or 7 years with a rinnai tankless in my home --

Electric tankless heaters where not very good when I was researching them -- But that was 6 or 7 years ago --

electric tankless heaters are still horrible. They usually require 3 double pole 30 amp breakers and three lines run to make them operate. Without a minimum of a 200 amp service its not even possible. Even then they don't work well, usually make all the lighting in the house dim when the elements fire. Gas fired units are much better in the tankless world. Nither work well for long without proper water treatment though. Acidity and hardness must be addressed before you even consider a tankless unit.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

You're right don't do it yourself, pay someone like you $1200 to install a $500.00 water heater.

Sent from my C6503 using Tapatalk

I know I charge around $350-400 to install a water heater. That's really not crazy price. It includes draining the old unit, removing it from the house, taking it with me to get rid of, installation of the new unit, and any material needed to install. Some homes are simple easy installs, some are nightmares from hell. I can assure you were not getting rich off water heaters. The other part is when we put them in we also assume all liability involved with it. When you do so and theres an issue (like your house burns down, your family doesn't wake up in the morning from carbonmonoxide poisoning, or your home floods its your problem. Good luck explaining to the insurance adjuster about how you saved a few hundred bucks to install it yourself and didn't have a permit or an inspection. Claim denied.... we have a saying in the plumbing field "pay me now or pay me later".

I Get the point. Some people aren't handy, have enough time, or maybe would not like to have the liability if they screw up the job. We give a 1 year warranty for all labor to give consumers a little piece of mind. You wouldn't believe all the numb nuts weekend warriors that walk in and beg us to fix all the crap the bubba'd up cause home owners, without fail, will cut corners. Exaggerating by hundreds of dollars doesn't help the op make an informed decision on how to best handle his situation.

Exaggerating I don’t believe so, all dependent on where you live. Changing a water heater in Smoke Rise is not the same price as changing a water heater (using the same brand and model water heater in Paterson I'm sure even you know that.. Point being, if you are handy, can solder, have basic electrical skills, like changing an outlet you can save yourself hundreds of dollars instead of paying $150.00/hr+ for labor for a Master Plumber or some kid out of Lincoln Tech working under a master plumbers license.

I work in smokerise all the time the guys at the gate know me by name. I charge the same prices I do every where else. I wouldn't work in Patterson anyway sorry were too busy is the answer to a call from that hole.

Exaggerating I don’t believe so, all dependent on where you live. Changing a water heater in Smoke Rise is not the same price as changing a water heater (using the same brand and model water heater in Paterson I'm sure even you know that.. Point being, if you are handy, can solder, have basic electrical skills, like changing an outlet you can save yourself hundreds of dollars instead of paying $150.00/hr+ for labor for a Master Plumber or some kid out of Lincoln Tech working under a master plumbers license.

Definitely agree you WILL save money doing yourself up front. But depending on how well the job is done and if its up to code (assuming you know your local code) you need make sure its right the first time.

Remember than time is also money to people nowadays and not having to worry about it is worth the couple hundred bucks.

I do still think its an exaggeration judging by the thousands of installs I've overseen. Of course there's a chance it can be over to 1000 to install but its very rare indeed.

I know I charge around $350-400 to install a water heater. That's really not crazy price. It includes draining the old unit, removing it from the house, taking it with me to get rid of, installation of the new unit, and any material needed to install. Some homes are simple easy installs, some are nightmares from hell. I can assure you were not getting rich off water heaters. The other part is when we put them in we also assume all liability involved with it. When you do so and theres an issue (like your house burns down, your family doesn't wake up in the morning from carbonmonoxide poisoning, or your home floods its your problem. Good luck explaining to the insurance adjuster about how you saved a few hundred bucks to install it yourself and didn't have a permit or an inspection. Claim denied.... we have a saying in the plumbing field "pay me now or pay me later".

Good to know, I'll give you a call the next time I don’t want my house burned down, or carbon monoxide poising. And, $350-400 for an hours work I’m sure that’s a reasonable price.  Thanks for reinforcing my confidence and belief in plumbers.

Definitely agree you WILL save money doing yourself up front. But depending on how well the job is done and if its up to code (assuming you know your local code) you need make sure its right the first time.

Remember than time is also money to people nowadays and not having to worry about it is worth the couple hundred bucks.

I do still think its an exaggeration judging by the thousands of installs I've overseen. Of course there's a chance it can be over to 1000 to install but its very rare indeed.

I guess that would depend on who you hire to do the work. There are plumbers out there like any trade that will screw over a customer as much as they can. Then, there are those who are fair.

I work in smokerise all the time the guys at the gate know me by name. I charge the same prices I do every where else. I wouldn't work in Patterson anyway sorry were too busy is the answer to a call from that hole. Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

Thanks for that.

I guess that would depend on who you hire to do the work. There are plumbers out there like any trade that will screw over a customer as much as they can. Then, there are those who are fair.

That's life man. Just like I'm sure in whatever it is you do there are people who screw people. So by chance if you have a job in the trades your service will not be required b/c by your logic there is a good chance you will screw someone.

That's life man. Just like I'm sure in whatever it is you do there are people who screw people. So by chance if you have a job in the trades your service will not be required b/c by your logic there is a good chance you will screw someone.

Yes, that is life. Take your chances, but better to be educated, than screwed. What I do we dont screw customers. Just not ethical.

It

Good to know, I'll give you a call the next time I don’t want my house burned down, or carbon monoxide poising. And, $350-400 for an hours work I’m sure that’s a reasonable price. Thanks for reinforcing my confidence and belief in plumbers.
almost always its a two man job. And you have to take in to account, I have to drive there pick up the heater at a supply house, bring it to your house, In a van that normally uses close to $100 a day in fuel. carry liability insurance witch believe me if you saw the rates it would make you sick. Match my taxes and my employees taxes, workmans comp, pay my and his healthcare, the phone bill, electric, the rent at the shop, truck maintenance, how much of that $400 I actually see afterward? take the old one away to a scrap yard someplace, not too many next to smokerise. drive to your town hall to fill out and pay for permit fee,hopefully the one lady that works there isn't out to lunch when I get there or I have to wait or come back later. Im always willing to cut someone a brake that can bring their house to me. Like I said we aren't getting rich on a water heater. Its an hours worth of work before the job that may take an hour if were lucky and it drains quickly with a pump. Or it could be 3 hours to drain, then an hour to go get rid of it when were done and file the permit app. For two men theres not much $ for profit out of that. that price is very fair and I'm less than what most guys charge. I also have to warranty my work for a year, so if theres a problem I come back for free and loose money. Every heater install is a gamble for every plumber that we may make a little money on. If it takes me longer than an hour to install, I'm actually paying to work on your home. Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

almost always its a two man job. And you have to take in to account, I have to drive there pick up the heater bring it to your house, In a van that normally uses close to $100 a day in fuel. carry liability insurance witch believe me if you saw the rates it would make you sick. Match my taxes and my employees taxes, pay my and his healthcare, the phone bill, electric, the rent at the shop, truck maintenance, how much of that $400 I actually see afterward? take the old one away to a scrap yard someplace, not too many next to smokerise. Im always willing to cut someone a brake that can bring their house to me. Like I said we aren't getting rich on a water heater. Its an hours worth of work before the job that may take an hour if were lucky and it drains quickly with a pump. Or it could be 3 hours to drain, then an hour to go get rid of it when were done. For two men theres not much $ for profit out of that.

Thanks for the clarification, one thing even with all you said if you were not making money you would not be doing what you’re doing. You chose your profession, and I'm sure you’re not going to people’s houses to lose money. That I don’t believe, sorry.

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.”

- Robert Heinlein

Thanks for the clarification, one thing even with all you said if you were not making money you would not be doing what you’re doing. You chose your profession, and I'm sure you’re not going to people’s houses to lose money. That I don’t believe, sorry.

I'm not always loosing money obviously or I would be out of business. But my profit margin on a water heater installation is very modest. I make approximately 30% if I'm lucky. Thats the minimum my business plan requires to stay open and support itself. I don't think thats a rip off. Its not easy work either remember I'm sacrificing my body and traveling to you hopeful everything goes well, to give you a worry free clean professional job. I suppose you feel no business is entitled to profit from preformed work? What would you expect in your pocket to stick your hands into someone else's toilet? Or to get out of bed at 2 am on a Sunday night to run out and fix a leak thats destroying a multi million dollar home during a snow storm? Thats all I'm saying, I can honestly tell you I don't feel I'm a crook for performing services and modesty profiting from it. I have no problem sleeping with myself at night I know I always give honesty to my customers and never take advantage of them because of the neighborhood they may reside in. I have a conscience. Are you a Lawyer by chance???

I'm not always loosing money obviously or I would be out of business. But my profit margin on a water heater installation is very modest. I make approximately 30% if I'm lucky. Thats the minimum my business plan requires to stay open and support itself. I don't think thats a rip off. Its not easy work either remember I'm sacrificing my body and traveling to you hopeful everything goes well. I suppose you feel no business is entitled to profit from preformed work? What would you expect in your pocket to stick your hands into someone else's toilet? Or to get out of bed at 2 am on a Sunday night to run out and fix a leak thats destroying a multi million dollar home during a snow storm? Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

Once again you chose you profession, you chose to stick your hands into someone else’s toilet, don’t talk to me about that.. You are entitled to a profit, not to rip people off, I'm not saying you in particular are (there are many that do rip people off), but you are paid and paid well to get out of your bed at 2am. If you don’t want to get out of your bed at 2am then don’t, work 9:00 - 5:00. I'm not going to debate that with you. I'm sure you know that most plumbers make a good living for sacrificing their bodies, and everything else you mentioned, otherwise you would not be doing it. Many professions, police, firefighters etc sacrifice their lives for you. That’s what they chose to do, just as you chose your profession.

Once again you chose you profession, you chose to stick your hands into someone else’s toilet, don’t talk to me about that.. You are entitled to a profit, not to rip people off, I'm not saying you in particular are (there are many that do rip people off), but you are paid and paid well to get out of your bed at 2am. If you don’t want to get out of your bed at 2am then don’t, work 9:00 - 5:00. I'm not going to debate that with you. I'm sure you know that most plumbers make a good living for sacrificing their bodies, and everything else you mentioned, otherwise you would not be doing it. Many professions, police, firefighters etc sacrifice their lives for you. That’s what they chose to do, just as you chose your profession.

agreed sir.

But just for the record Plumbers have saved more lives than Doctors, police, firefighters and EMT's combined. We truly do protect the health of the nation. No plumbers no safe water for anyone.

agreed sir.

But just for the record Plumbers have saved more lives than Doctors, police, firefighters and EMT's combined. We truly do protect the health of the nation. No plumbers no safe water for anyone.

Ok, if you say so. Have a good evening, I leave you with this:

So there was a neurosurgeon who called a plumber for a house visit.

The plumber arrived and after spending an hour bestowed the neurosurgeon a bill of $500. The surgeon was stunned; he said, “Even I don’t charge this much after a surgery.” The plumber stood up, gave him a sly look and said, “well that is why I am a plumber now; I used to be a neurosurgeon.”