SgtToadette

What are your top 5 AR mods/accesories?

1) Aimpoint

2)BCM GF Mod4

3)Geissele trigger

4)VTAC sling as mentioned above

5)ME....meaning improving MYSELF on my rifle system the best I can. Everything else can work great, but I have the most potential for F***ing shit up. Train, train, train!

I think the only two common parts to all of my personal ARs are a LMT tactical charging handle and a BFG padded VCAS sling.  Handguards/rails, triggers, optics, even weaponlights (used to be a Streamlight-only guy, now am mixing in X300Us) are all variable on my different guns.  It's partly so I can give firsthand accounts of different pieces of gear I sell but I do find it interesting that I gravitated toward standardizing those two parts.

Not necessarily in order of importance, but the order in which I dress up an AR I'm building

1. BUIS - Sure they're just back-up sights, but if/when your primary optic fails, it pays to have a good set of BUIS.

2. Flashlight - 2nd on my list because you NEED a light to ID threats at night regardless of all the other goodies you have on your AR.

3. Magpul BAD lever - I've gotten used to utilizing this during training classes. Makes reloads and clearing malfunctions easier/faster.

4. BCM Charging Handle - Extended handle is almost a must nowadays.

5. Magpul ASAP/RSA/MS3 - Again, I've gotten used to using this sling setup across all my AR's during training classes, it works for me.

6. Optic - You get what you pay for. If you cant afford a good optic, save your $ for one, it's worth it.

7. Pistol Grip - I'm liking the MOE+ grip nowadays. Find something comfortable for yourself.

8. Stock - Need something comfortable for a snug nose to charging handle cheek weld.

9. Forend - Vertical grip,  angled fore-grip, handstops.

10. Break/Comp - Different models behave differently, find one you like.

ETA: keep in mind that these lists will vary greatly depending in the "lister's" intended use. A national match shooter will have a veeeery different list of mods than a 3 times a year plinker. A 3 gun competitor will have different criteria than someone planning to use the rifle for true defensive/social use.

While I may also use them for plinking, training, or competitions, their primary intended use is work related and as such my ARs are all set up for social occasions.

Assuming I am starting with a quality rifle with quality mags my list follows, in order of importance:

1) sling

2) white light

3) optic - Aimpoint

I do have other upgrades on my rifles: BCM Gunfighter charging handles and pistol grips, vertical grips/handstops, upgraded stocks, Geissels triggers, etc... But the above three are the only mandatory accessories, in my opinion, for my use.

Everything else is gravy

a lot of you guys are mentioning slings. i didn't mean to single you out.....i just thought of these further questions as i was reading your post is all.

1) what type of sling do you guys prefer?

2)aimpoint. magnified? or is this a simple close quarters red dot?

3)white light? they're mostly all white?

a lot of you guys are mentioning slings. i didn't mean to single you out.....i just thought of these further questions as i was reading your post is all.

I run a magpul MS3 sling it runs fine... 

aimpoint pro with a magnifier in my chest rig this combo gets me fast inside 100 and on man sized targets at 300 making the gun very versatile 

white light.. I am not sure? I run an LED light because it gives very clean usable bright light for the size.. 

1) what type of sling do you guys prefer? > I like a single point sling. I've taken training classes with the Magpul MS3 sling and have gotten real comfortable with it and it works for me.

2)aimpoint. magnified? or is this a simple close quarters red dot? > Magnification would always help but it would depend how far you are looking to shoot. For under 100m, probably wont need it. If you're trying to hit a target 300m away, the 4MOA dot on the Aimpoint will probably cover all if not most of the target so magnification and turning the LED intensity down will help.

3)white light? they're mostly all white? > I think the term "white light" is just another name for a flashlight used with your weapon.

I use a vtac sling. I like it a lot. Vickers is also highly regarded. 2pt quick adjust>1pt>3pt. I had an ms2 sling and it was ok. I'm much happier with my vtac.

I prefer the eotech reticle on my main gun but my other has a vortex with a flip to side magnifier. Keep in mind your field of vision will decrease, weight of the gun will increase, and if its on a flip to side mount, the guns balance will be very different.

There are different filters like infra red for night vision and blue filters to track blood (wounded game for example). Red filters will not degrade night eyesight turning the light on and off in darkness.

http://www.surefire.com/parts-accessories/filters-diffusers-covers.html

1) what type of sling do you guys prefer? > I like a single point sling. I've taken training classes with the Magpul MS3 sling and have gotten real comfortable with it and it works for me.

2)aimpoint. magnified? or is this a simple close quarters red dot? > Magnification would always help but it would depend how far you are looking to shoot. For under 100m, probably wont need it. If you're trying to hit a target 300m away, the 4MOA dot on the Aimpoint will probably cover all if not most of the target so magnification and turning the LED intensity down will help.

3)white light? they're mostly all white? > I think the term "white light" is just another name for a flashlight used with your weapon.

dont you find running quickly with a single point sling terrible? whenever I would run quickly with my rifle dangling and on my sidearm the rifle had a tendency to be all over the place.. 

dont you find running quickly with a single point sling terrible? whenever I would run quickly with my rifle dangling and on my sidearm the rifle had a tendency to be all over the place..

I thought the problem with the single point is it tenses to focus the rifle on a very uncomfortable place while running

I thought the problem with the single point is it tenses to focus the rifle on a very uncomfortable place while running

The main problem I see is it is free swinging and pretty much unsecured if you don't have at least one hand on the rifle. Makes life difficult if you need hands free. And I like my toes.

Getting cup checked while transitioning is the same type of symptom.

that also... I could see single point maybe in some guard scenarios with small sub guns... because on my SBR AR it works OK but that is only because the gun is tiny...

it was a mess on any normal rifle when I was moving with any speed.. 

1) I prefer the BFG non-padded VCAS quick adjust 2 point sling.

2) I prefer the Aimpont T1 and I also use the Aimpoint PRO. I prefer no magnifier. I do most of my shooting inside of 100 yards and find I am just as accurate but measurably faster without the 3x mag.

3) White light as opposed to IR light for use under NODs. I require a minimum of 200 lumens as that gives me target acquisition (I can see if there is a target or not, but not ID friend or foe) out to 100 yards and target ID (friend or foe) at 50 yards under normal night time/weather conditions outdoors. I prefer 500-600 lumens as that effectively doubles my target acquisition and ID distances.

The issues with single point slings as I see them are numerous.

They offer no stability when shooting.

The provide no support when slung.

They flop all over when moving with a slung rifle.

They turn your rifle into a lawn dart when slung and kneeling.

They have an uncanny knack to whack you in the crotch repeatedly. (Which by the way is a sure way to reduce your effectiveness either in training or a gunfight)

Their only real advantage is that you can quickly and easily switch shoulders. Something that can also be accomplished with a quick adjust 2pt sling, which also does everything a single point doesn't do listed above.