Norseman

22,000,000 people unemployed

...why can't someone startup a new ammo manufacturing plant and hire some put some of us back to work?

Is there like a ton of red tape?

My family is from a town in northern Maine who's lifeblood was a paper mill that was bought by a Canadian company (thank you NAFTA) and then closed down. They still own the plant but just aren't using it.

What if someone decided to build a new company there and put a bunch of people back to work? Would the government throw up major roadblocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or I can just employ a few Chinese, not worry about any environmental concerns, not worry about any Unions, taxes, Social Security, Obamacare, Unemployment, etc etc, have a labor cost that is less than 1/10 of what it is here...

But yeah, I mean your idea has legs, except that virtually no one knows how to work with their hands any longer, or wants to.

Or I can just employ a few Chinese, not worry about any environmental concerns, not worry about any Unions, taxes, Social Security, Obamacare, Unemployment, etc etc, have a labor cost that is less than 1/10 of what it is here...

But yeah, I mean your idea has legs, except that virtually no one knows how to work with their hands any longer, or wants to.

Sadly enough this is just about true.  I believe this is one of the main reasons we are where we are now.  Unfortunalty starting your own ammo plant in this country at this time will only result in frustration.  Getting powder, brass, bullet heads, and primers will still be a problem, even as a manufacturer.  That and startup, equipment, instaltion, etc.. it will be really tough to be competitive and turn a good enough profit to make it worth it.

It could be done but it would be one tough road for sure.

Ken

Dont forget all the illegals holding down jobs for below market wages of $8 an hour. They can do this as they have tax subsidized everything. The number 2 cash business in Mexico is remittances(getting money from abroad) how do you manage to come here for $8 an hour eat and pay rent and still send money home. By us suckers paying there way via taxes thats how.

Freedom Munitions did: http://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/1820.htm

Unfortunately, given the choice between decent quality US-made ammo from a small company that pays a living wage, or foreign-made ammo that's a dollar cheaper a box, most Americans will always go cheap.

The same goes for all manner of goods.

I feel like there's enough unemployed to create manufacturing facilities for making powder, primers, lead, etc. too ya know?

But that's exactly it (what djg0770 said): Chinese don't have to worry about health and safety, pollution controls, quality of life for their employees. The avg worker in china might as well be a slave for the way they're treated.

Freedom Munitions did: http://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/1820.htm

Unfortunately, given the choice between decent quality US-made ammo from a small company that pays a living wage, or foreign-made ammo that's a dollar cheaper a box, most Americans will always go cheap.

Gonna bookmark the site but looks like they don't have any .45 ACP

Gonna bookmark the site but looks like they don't have any .45 ACP

http://www.freedommunitions.com/45-Auto-230-gr-RN-p/fm45r230r-b0500.htm

Go up to the "In Stock Now" link - they have .45 ACP as of 9:00 pm tonight - $180 per 500. I've shot a fair amount of their 9 and am working through 500 rounds of this re-manufactured in my 1911. It's pretty good stuff; worth a try. I try to buy American whenever possible for the reasons in the original post.

The current economy, fueled by the big box stores, and their predecessors, the department stores, buoyed by corporate america and the US Government (with their lowest bid wins rule) have created a society of shoppers driven ONLY by cost.

When my grandparents bought furniture, it was expensive and heavy as hell, and the idea was that these pieces would last forever (ala the Keno Brothers and Antiques Roadshow).  When my grandparents bought clothing, it too was expected to last a very very long time.  Costs were high, so was quality.  Today, quality of materials is basic (nice way of saying shitty) and items are designed to last 12 months OR LESS.

The doctoral dissertation that's hiding in this is "How to turn America from a cost based society to a quality based society."

Go!  ;)

Go to Germany and visit some homes. Having furniture over a hundred years old is the norm. F - Ikea and Walmart particle board stuff. Buy once, cry once. Quality firearms, quality cars, appliances and other big ticket items save you money if they are built right and key word here....repairable. Want to reduce landfill volume...return to products that can be repaired.

Quality furniture is now in the WTF-are-you-kidding-me range of prices. Earlier this year I was shopping for couches and I discovered that there is NO difference in quality of construction for pretty much anything from $500 to $2000. Sure, the cloth might be nicer, but the framing seemed to be built to same crappy standards. When you went over $2000 you were looking at a lot branding, with sometimes higher quality.

I ended up flipping LOTS of couches and looking at how they were built, for like 3 weeks of shopping. I have NOT found a couch built at the standards of couches from 20-30 years ago, at any price, in any store.

Quality furniture is now in the WTF-are-you-kidding-me range of prices. Earlier this year I was shopping for couches and I discovered that there is NO difference in quality of construction for pretty much anything from $500 to $2000. Sure, the cloth might be nicer, but the framing seemed to be built to same crappy standards. When you went over $2000 you were looking at a lot branding, with sometimes higher quality.

I ended up flipping LOTS of couches and looking at how they were built, for like 3 weeks of shopping. I have NOT found a couch built at the standards of couches from 20-30 years ago, at any price, in any store.

Exactly.  Couches today are mass produced with frames of softwoods and springs that are quickly unsprung and foam that quickly deteriorates. 

Freedom Munitions did: http://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/1820.htm

It is a sad truth.  We are in a race to the bottom.  Everyone wants it cheaper, but then decries the loss of jobs.

I am buying and remodeling a new house.  The cabinets I am putting in the kitchen are made from US sourced wood, made in the US.  Cost is nearly 25% more than anything comparable that is imported, but I want to support my country and its workers.  I am also not buying the stove I want, and instead am buying a US made stove, for the same reasons.  I figure I can live without some of the features I want, if I can keep some extra $ in the US Economy.

I won't buy used couches or anything cloth. As I worry about bedbugs and such. However I needed to refurnish my home so I downloaded the craigslist pro app on my phone and over a few months I got top of the line newer thomasville and ethan allen stuff for 10% of what it costs new. Like new (1996) Mohogany dining room set with six chairs and for $1200. Not a mark or stain on it. Perfect Mohogany end ,coffee and sofa table for $1000 !! Ethan Allen still sells the coffee table for $1500.

The trick is it takes some time and lots of tire kicking but the deals are out there.