tuktuk

G19 gen 4 + vickers extended mag release

So this is the story >>> I cudnt engage the stock mag release on my G19 gen 4 without changing the grip like I do on my Sigz .... It really bothered me so after doing some googling and reading reviews I swapped it for vickers extended mag release.... well I still can not engage the mag release without changing the grip. Should I swap it for even bigger mag release? Or u think it's the operator fault? How can I improve my technique ?

I'm surprised you bought a pistol that you aren't comfortable with.

In my opinion, you shouldn't have to do a bunch of modifications to this pistol to make it better. It should fit you well from the start. I'd suggest selling it or buying something else that fits you better.

If that isn't an option, if it is a slight change of grip to access the mag release so be it. If it's very awkward and you feel it turns into a chore to engage the it, then go back to option 1 - selling it.

P.s. - I hate the feel of Glock's and they don't fit my hands well. It is what it is. I just look into other pistols (CZ, M&P, Sig) that I am more comfortable with.

I'm surprised you bought a pistol that you aren't comfortable with.

In my opinion, you shouldn't have to do a bunch of modifications to this pistol to make it better. It should fit you well from the start. I'd suggest selling it or buying something else that fits you better.

If that isn't an option, if it is a slight change of grip to access the mag release so be it. If it's very awkward and you feel it turns into a chore to engage the it, then go back to option 1 - selling it.

P.s. - I hate the feel of Glock's and they don't fit my hands well. It is what it is. I just look into other pistols (CZ, M&P, Sig) that I am more comfortable with.

But that's the thing ... The grip feels perfect in my hand. It is very comfy for me to hold, point and shoot >>> it's the mag release that causes me bother ...

I have seen the Vickers and the Zev. I think the zev was a little bigger. I don't think you will find a mag release for the G4 that you won;t have to change your grip. The g3 zev extend release was great but it is only for G3 and below.

I really wish they never changed the mag release in the G4 models.

While I don't have that issue and can operate my Vickers MR just fine, you may want to look into a having the mag release area scalloped. It works pretty well for problems like this. However, if the problem is just your finger being too big or small to effectively reach the mag release, nothing will fix that. 

Also, although i cant see this being good practice try using your middle finger? Depends on how quickly and efficiently you need to reload. I have tried it for fun to see if it works and it does... Its awkward but im sure you could get used to it with some practice.

Do you have the same problem with Gen 3 Glocks or are you saying this is an issue for all Glocks?  Lots of people have to shift their grip slightly in order to engage the mag release, this is very common for all handguns, not just Glocks.  If I were right handed I'd have to shift my grip on just about all guns to reach the mag release.  A few things to try:

1.  Just shift your grip slightly to reach the mag release, there's nothing wrong with this.

2.  The OEM extended mag release is slightly larger than the Vickers, you could try that, but it probably won't make a difference.

3.  Press the mag release with your left thumb as you're coming off the grip and reaching for a new mag.

4.  Reverse the mag release to the right side and presss it with your trigger finger or middle finger.

I like the mag release better on the gen 4 over the gen 3. I have a small hand and always had a problem reaching the button on both of the gen 3 glocks I own. When I held the gen4 G19 I fell in love immediately because the button is larger and further back in the grip. If your thumb cant reach the button with one of the back straps on then don't use one. I never even installed one of them on mine because I know I would no longer be able to reach the button without adjusting my grip. If you still don't feel comfortable with it buy a slim frame or short frame Glock they do make them and to me are more small hand friendly.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!