junkmanted

what should i know M1a

M1A is jersey legal as is. Swap out the Springfield extractor for an M1 Garand extractor. The stock one is made of cheap metal and doesn't extract overlength ammo like Prvi Partisan 7.62 reliably. You might also want a Garand hammer. The Springfield one is made of softer metal. While you're at it, get a forged M14 op rod. The extractor is the immediate one. Check the M14 Forums.

I agree with Chris. Check the M14 forum. There are links there where you can search to determine how much of your SA is comprised of USGI parts based on markings/numbering, etc. of parts. Earlier ones assembled by SA had USGI bolts, trigger groups, op-rods, etc. in conjunction with SA cast receivers. Later ones had cast op-rods. As they progressed, fewer had USGI parts.

The ban law actually says M14S, which are the Norinco and Polytech clones. You can have an M14M1A with a pistol grip provided it doesn't have any other evil features like bayonet lug, flash hinder or adjustable stock.

They're nice guns. I played with them in military school. One of my tests was to take down an M1 and put it back together in 30 seconds. Maybe it was 30 minutes. I forget.

But definitely not worth the money today unless $$ is no object and you're a history buff. You can get a decent SKS for $450, and a very nice Mosin Nagant for about $150. Why spend $1000 on a ship that has passed?

They're nice guns. I played with them in military school. One of my tests was to take down an M1 and put it back together in 30 seconds. Maybe it was 30 minutes. I forget.

But definitely not worth the money today unless $$ is no object and you're a history buff. You can get a decent SKS for $450, and a very nice Mosin Nagant for about $150. Why spend $1000 on a ship that has passed?

Are you really comparing an SKS and a Mosin to the M1A? 

Are you really comparing an SKS and a Mosin to the M1A? 

What are you using this gun for? For fun, it doesn't matter. To kill zombies? Well maybe the M1 is more accurate. I don't know. I haven't shot one in 40 years.

My point: It's not worth 2.5x the SKS (for which you could conserve calibers by getting an AK) or 6X the cost of a Mosin (no other significant rifles, but cheap ammo).

The M1A has passed the stage of being a decent mil-surp gun. People like me, who were in ROTC, or individuals who bought them 10+ years ago, and collectors, have bought up all of them. They're nice guns. I would be tempted to buy one for $500 for old time's sake, but not for $900-$1000,

Im going to work out a trade ! Besides I never paid more the 200 for a SKS 7 total and 38 types of mosins :) 

What are you using this gun for? For fun, it doesn't matter. To kill zombies? Well maybe the M1 is more accurate. I don't know. I haven't shot one in 40 years.

My point: It's not worth 2.5x the SKS (for which you could conserve calibers by getting an AK) or 6X the cost of a Mosin (no other significant rifles, but cheap ammo).

The M1A has passed the stage of being a decent mil-surp gun. People like me, who were in ROTC, or individuals who bought them 10+ years ago, and collectors, have bought up all of them. They're nice guns. I would be tempted to buy one for $500 for old time's sake, but not for $900-$1000,

I think you are mistaking the M1 for the M1A.

They are fun and accurate rifles, although it could be argued that the M1A rifles could use a few milspec parts swaps to be a real fighting gun.

Yea, but for what we use it for, who we going to fight with? All the fallacies evolved what they need and how they relate to what we need are mostly bogus. They are fine weapons. Only thing I did to mine was the shim mod. Otherwise, I heated that puppy up with no hiccups. They are mean machines.

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

Yea, but for what we use it for, who we going to fight with? All the fallacies evolved what they need and how they relate to what we need are mostly bogus. They are fine weapons. Only thing I did to mine was the shim mod. Otherwise, I heated that puppy up with no hiccups. They are mean machines.

A milspec extractor is next on my purchase list. Already had an occasional ftf with 7.62 surplus.

A milspec extractor is next on my purchase list. Already had an occasional ftf with 7.62 surplus.

Sure it's not the ammo? Surplus?