bcarlos

AR 15 VS ARAK 21 build

So I've spent alot of time the last few days debating between finishing my daniel defense AR 15 or selling my Daniel Defense complete upper for an ARAK 21 upper. What I hope to gain from this thread is past experiences or additional info to help me make my final decision.

What I like about the AR is the endless parts, its a proven system with decades of evidence, and I know the weapon system like the back of my hand. Plus ARs are hot sellers if I was ever in dire need to sell it I could do it with ease.

What I like about the ARAK is in my opinion its multiple weapon systems in one. You can get it with a 5.56 barrel and a 300 black out barrel. Plus the barrels are interchangable by hand no tools needed. I like the gas piston system for maintenance reasons and I was planning on buying/building a gas piston AR when my DI rifle is complete.

Just as some background info this will be a multi purpose rifle. I'm not a competition shooter. I don't care about brand names. I buy practical functioning equipment if it is brand name awesome if its not I own it because it fits my operational needs.

If you are unfamiliar with the ARAK 21 I took the liberty of linking a video below to give a brief introduction on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOw0d8Ud95U

Thanks in advance for all informative answers.

I say go for the ARAK if it makes you happy and the cost isn't a problem. I'd just be sure to train with it since your manual of arms will be slightly different than your typical AR.

I own a PWS rifle, which is along the same lines as the ARAK. You're going to have a lot of people talk about proprietary parts, which you should be aware of and keep a stock of. I wouldn't let it alone steer you away.

You'll also have people asking what is wrong with the DI system. Just remember it's your money and you can spend it how you wish. I happen to like piston guns for personal reasons.

It's pretty neat, however, as Sgt. Toadette pointed out, proprietary parts are a huge issue.

What happens if the mfg goes belly up?

The second question that remains is, what problem does it solve for you (and for the weapons system)?

If you want to have multiple calibers, why not just switch uppers? Push 2 pins and you're done. Seems much simpler, and much more cost effective.

Why is it better than either an AR or an AK?

Just food for thought.

Edited to add information.

The second question that remains is, what problem does it solve for you (and for the weapons system)?

Why is it better than either an AR or an AK?

Just food for thought.

It comes in pretty colors... duh!!! (JK)

Cool concept. I've seen it and like it, I think. Bit spendy for me but cool nonetheless.

C

The ARAK seems like a cool idea.  But it also seems like a gimick to me. 

I honestly can't see any of it's solutions actualy solving any real work AR problem.  If anything, it just adds propriatary parts, the barrel is not free floating as most rails today would have it, its just odd to me.

However, if you like it, go for it.  It's not my money.

Personaly, I would stay with a quality DI AR like your DD

I appreciate your response I doubt propriatary parts will be an issue because  Faxon Firearms and Faxon Machining essentially one in the same. And im not trying to solve the "di problem" I just happen to prefer gas piston. That all being said im just going to finish my ar 15. l'm so close to completing it if I didn't I'd feel like I wasted alot of time. Thanks for your responses.

Seems very gimmicky to me and you can't have a folding stock in NJ anyway. Plus the reliability/track record of the company is unknown.

For the price of the ARAK upper and spare barrel you could just buy 2 complete uppers for your AR to do the same thing and have a wider variety of calibers to choose from.

You could choose from .22, 5.56, 5.45x39, 5.7x28, .300, .50 Beowulf just to name a few...

I honestly don't see many issues with the ARAK that aren't also problems of other newer rifle designs like the SCAR or ACR besides the size of the manufacturer (a valid concern).

Proprietary parts? Check.

Not an AR? Check.

Not an AK? Check.

Hefty price tag? Check.

While I'd take the SCAR if given the choice between the three (even though I hate reciprocating charging handles), all these rifles are new and will of course never have the same track record as the AR or AK. I don't think that should get in the way of trying new designs, though. I don't think we should neuter innovations because they fail to meet standards we've made impossible to meet.

That said, what a purchaser does need to be aware of is that they are effectively the beta testers of the concept. The theory behind the ARAK seems pretty sound (though you know what they say about things that seem too good to be true), but just know what you're getting into by buying one. You are determining whether or not the theory works in practice. If the idea of being a guinea pig doesn't bother you, then I say go for it.

seems a lot of piston AR stuff coming out. i guess if i wanted to go with a piston gun, i'd look at the sig 551. i think its banned by name. but I'm talking more about country wide. at least thats in use around the world.

The utter waste of time that the IC program was resulted in a lot of offerings for the civilian market. So it's not entirely random.

Seems very gimmicky to me and you can't have a folding stock in NJ anyway. Plus the reliability/track record of the company is unknown.

For the price of the ARAK upper and spare barrel you could just buy 2 complete uppers for your AR to do the same thing and have a wider variety of calibers to choose from.

You could choose from .22, 5.56, 5.45x39, 5.7x28, .300, .50 Beowulf just to name a few...

The folding stock is not a issue because I would've just married the arak upper onto an ar lower. But again after the intial wow factor of the arak wearing off I'm commited to finishing my ar build. Thanks again to everyone who participated.