Sota

gun storage for a friend

I have a friend who is heading out of town for a couple months, and am going to offer to store his firearm for him during that time. His living arrangements do not lend him to leaving it at his co-occupied living quarters. What are any legal requirements or paperwork I should have done to store his firearm for him? I'm not taking ownership of the firearm, but I guess I am taking possession of it for the time he's gone.

Any thoughts?

I assume you live in NJ (guessing because of the forum). If your buddy is an NJ resident too this can be doable. If he is not, you will need to do any transfer via an FFL.

If it is a pistol you will need a PtP to take possession. If it is more than 1 pistol you will need a PtP for each and an OGAM exemption.

For a long gun a COE is needed per firearm and you need to have an FID.

If you can't get the paperwork done in time there is a company that started up last year which will be able to help - but for a fee, obviously. https://firearmssupportandstorage.com/storage/gunsitters/

Apparently it took a ton of work to sort out the legal mess that is NJ gun law to enable these guys to offer this service. I have not used them so cannot vouch for them. One of their guys came to a SCFGPA general meeting last year to raise awareness of their services (sales pitch).

Hope it helps.

Youse guys are too paranoid. As long as its not stolen or used in a murder wtf do I care. Friends are friends and if they need me to watch their dog, car, gun, what ever I'll do it.

I agree a lot of people make a big deal about little things. On the other hand asking here where most people know how bad N.J. Is more people are aware of the bad things that could happen. Then you get the idea as posted above. Go out and get a lease/rental agreement from staples or somewhere similar and fill it out then have it notorized by another friend. Cost ya about 5 bucks and everyone's legal.

I don't know if this makes it legal or not, but if your friend moved to your address, then he could bring his guns with him when he moved.  And if he then went on a trip, his address in NJ could remain at your address.  This could potentially be accomplished by changing the address on his driver license at the DMV which can be done online, and having his other stuff changed over (have bank statements, etc, go to your address). 

If he moves to your house/apartment, brings his stuff there with him, and his driver license has his address as your place, then who would say he isn't allowed to have his guns there?  Definitely have him lock them up too, so you don't have access to them even if you wanted to get to them. 

And like I said, I don't know if this is legal or not but I do know one thing - it is easier to move your address than it is to legally transfer ownership of a pistol in NJ.

As it turns out this same friend did live at my residence for a spell during some hard times. Even had mail and bills coming here.

JTS voiced the same thoughts that were rattling around in my skull, just not fully formulated for articulation.

Changing addresses, if we're talking letter of the law, would also require that your friend change his address on his FID within 30 days of "moving". Which means applying at your local PD (of State Police barracks if no PD) and everything that entails.

And when he returns to his actual residence, change it all again. 

I would just go with the company mentioned (several times) above: https://firearmssupportandstorage.com/storage/

True

This, or use a service, god forbid something happens at your place a fire,a break in and police come over and you have to explain why you have someone elses guns and the owner is no were near. Dont play with nj laws they can burn you.

Can't you just lease a storage spot in your home for your friend?  I don't think that the amount of space matters.  This could take place for $1.  A lease for space should be sufficient. I don't think your guns have to be in your house, just a location possessed by you (as in a lease or owned property).

I assume you live in NJ (guessing because of the forum). If your buddy is an NJ resident too this can be doable. If he is not, you will need to do any transfer via an FFL.

If it is a pistol you will need a PtP to take possession. If it is more than 1 pistol you will need a PtP for each and an OGAM exemption.

For a long gun a COE is needed per firearm and you need to have an FID.

If you can't get the paperwork done in time there is a company that started up last year which will be able to help - but for a fee, obviously. https://firearmssupportandstorage.com/storage/gunsitters/

Apparently it took a ton of work to sort out the legal mess that is NJ gun law to enable these guys to offer this service. I have not used them so cannot vouch for them. One of their guys came to a SCFGPA general meeting last year to raise awareness of their services (sales pitch).

Hope it helps.

Wasn't much of legal tangle for them to do it becasue they are an FFL.  The have been in business awhile.  They have a large underground safe that they had been using to store digital media etc. and got the idea if they obtained an FFL they could also store firearms and that is what they are now doing.  They also operate a retail business and just opened a tactical shooting range inside which utilizes glocks fitted with CO2 cartriges which similate recoil (cycles the slide) and shoots a laser at a projection of simulated real world senarios.  Was in there a couple weeks back and it is pretty cool.

You guys seem to think that simply intending to cross a state line enacts FOPA protection against the laws of your home state under all circumstances. Rent a room at a storage place on the PA side of the border for a few months.

I had an AR in one for so long I spent 3x it's value in rent :)

Wasn't much of legal tangle for them to do it becasue they are an FFL. The have been in business awhile. They have a large underground safe that they had been using to store digital media etc. and got the idea if they obtained an FFL they could also store firearms and that is what they are now doing. They also operate a retail business and just opened a tactical shooting range inside which utilizes glocks fitted with CO2 cartriges which similate recoil (cycles the slide) and shoots a laser at a projection of simulated real world senarios. Was in there a couple weeks back and it is pretty cool.

I believe the tangle revolved around that fact that one of the options is that you effectively have a locker on their premises and can access your gun at any time. It does not get entered on their FFL bound book and you don't need any permit to get it back.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2