bignic83

National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill

WASHINGTON—U.S. Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) today introduced the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2014, which would allow individuals with concealed carry privileges in their home state to exercise those rights in any other state that also has concealed carry laws.

I'm not sure but it sounds like it would hurt us more than help. The way I read it that almost sounds like it would do away with Non-resident CCW. 

No. Did you even read it?  From the first sentence under "Press Release":

Would allow individuals with concealed carry privileges in their home state to exercise those rights in any other state that also has concealed carry laws.

So if you don't already have a NJ concealed carry permit it doesn't change a thing.....

Would allow individuals with concealed carry privileges in their home state to exercise those rights in any other state that also has concealed carry laws.

So if you don't already have a NJ concealed carry permit it doesn't change a thing.....

And they'll figure out new and exciting ways to screw with us either way.

"Home State" is the key here. If the state you live in issued the permit then this law would cover you. They way I read it is citizens of states that issue CCW's would be able the carry in NJ. Citizens of NJ would stil SOOL. No surprise there.

I'm not sure but it sounds like it would hurt us more than help. The way I read it that almost sounds like it would do away with Non-resident CCW.

After a few years of no blood flowing in the streets as predicted by fear mongerers, perhaps it would void their arguement that NJ is too densly populated for CCW.

If this bill passed (which it won't because even if it got throught the senate of course Obama will veto it), out of staters with carry permits from their home state could carry in NJ, but we could not.  Beyond absurd.  I am writing to the sponsors of this bill to oppose it, as we all should.  We need a FEDERAL carry law, that will not pre-empt state law in any way, leaving the current state system and reciprocity in place.  The federal law would require training and background checks, which should address the hysterical concerns of people like Chucl Schumer. and be good in all 50 states.  If someone wanted such a permit, they could get one.  If, on the other hand, someone wants to rely on their own state's law (eg, Vermonters don't need any permit) and reciprocity, they could.  No states rights issue.  No coercion.  And helps people in all 50 states.  The current reciprocity bill is ridiculous.

Really guys? You think this wouldn't help? Lets say every out of State visitor can carry a gun in NJ but not NJ residents themselves. Sounds like an easy win court case for us.

+1

At the very least it would make clear if NJ has concealed carry laws or it in fact hasn't.

Really guys? You think this wouldn't help? Lets say every out of State visitor can carry a gun in NJ but not NJ residents themselves. Sounds like an easy win court case for us.

I agree. ANything that improves the life of any law abiding gun owner anywhere has the chance to trickle down to us. We need a nationwide culture change.

I'm not supporting this bill but it has a snowball's chance in hell. Also the only reason this bill was introduced was because Steve stockman wants to primary conryn. Nothing buta dog and pony show. In the off chance it passes I'm changing my primary residence to Florida.

Aha, but here's the rub. 

Haven't you been reading about Illinois being the "ONLY REMAINING STATE" that does not have provisions for concealed carry? Hasn't NJ covered its bases, and avoided Illinois' worse-than-death fate, by designating itself a "may issue" state? "Of course, we issue XXX number of permits per year."

This law, as I understand it, says that states that "may issue" or "shall issue" must now recognize out of state permits. The critical question is: must they recognize only resident permits, as many states do? If so it won't matter to us.

This won't pass the senate, as gun-friendly democrats are probably equal to gun-averse republicans. But maybe after this year's election.

Yes I did read it. Any law that will chage CCW Reciprocity federally will impact NJ. NJ politico's will have to rethink their strategy. Even if my non-res CCW is not allowed, how long do you think NJ's may issue bullshit line will last? The last vote missed by a few votes. Let Obama veto it. Just helps us in the next election. Baby steps my friend.

Bingo. NJ would be hard pressed to deny home staters from ccw if 98% of the rest of the country will walk around armed regardless.

NJ is already in the minority.  Do you think our "leaders" care about the other 99% of the country?  They care only about the power and authority they are able to assert over their domain.  Until someone else, most likely SCOUS, forces NJ politicians to change the law it will stay as is.  I hope I'm wrong.

NJ is already in the minority. Do you think our "leaders" care about the other 99% of the country? They care only about the power and authority they are able to assert over their domain. Until someone else, most likely SCOUS, forces NJ politicians to change the law it will stay as is. I hope I'm wrong.

agreed but its different when any citizen with the exception of those in the state itself can Carry. I'd luke to see them explain that in court.

Fingers crossed that this passes today! Anyone know around when it is set to go up for the vote? I actually woukd like to watch this on CSPAN but the vote, I'm guessing, will be while I'm working.

Assuming it does pass, what are some absurd new laws you can think of that NJ will pass to make this more difficult. According to an article I read in the Houston Chronicle the out of state permit holder would have to abide by the jurisdiction of the state they are visiting.

Absurd NJ Rule For Out of State Concealed Carry Holders - u must directly report to NJ State Police and provide "Justifiable Need" as to why you haveto have a concealed handgun.

Replies of "Because the 2nd Amendment guarantees me the right" is unacceptable.

They will then be told to immediately leave NJ with their unloaded firearm properly secured (unloaded) in their trunk. Additionally, they may not make any unnecessary stops when leaving the state.

They will then be told to immediately leave NJ with their unloaded firearm properly secured (unloaded) in their trunk. Additionally, they may not make any unnecessary stops when leaving the state.

I do not agree that "leaving the state" is a valid reasons for possession of a firearm in NJ unless you are moving into a new residence.

agreed but its different when any citizen with the exception of those in the state itself can Carry. I'd luke to see them explain that in court.

They can and they will.

Let me ask you something - what basis will the court force NJ to let residents carry? Answer: none. 

I do not agree that "leaving the state" is a valid reasons for possession of a firearm in NJ unless you are moving into a new residence.

?????????.....I was sarcastically thinking of absurd new laws that NJ could come up with to deter ANYONE from carrying if the reciprocity law passes.