dwamp2006

"the gun box" - New safe storage concept

This seems to me almost like smart gun technology. Are you willing to bet your life on this at 2am in the morning? Don't get me wrong, seems cool as hell but I think I would rely more on a biometric safe with my finger prints scanned 120 times then this.  I can lose the RFID chip but if I lose my fingers I'm going to assume I have bigger problems that a gun won't solve.

The new Hornady RAPiD-safe is like this but with 5 access ability's.

Multiple Access Options

The RAPiD™ safe can be opened with the RFID bracelet, credit card, key fob, or with a personally programmed code. It is also accessible with a conventional key lock.

http://www.hornady.com/store/RAPiD-Safe

On a side note and just my opinion...... Say we flock to the store to buy these RFID safes. The sales are astronomical and all the gun boards on the internet talk about how great these are and how we would bet our lives on these securing our weapons and being able to access them quickly. Well, next thing you know our country's wonderful lawmakers are trolling the boards saying if you secure your guns this way why not just build it into the gun also. Now we just opened the doors and sealed our fate by supporting and buying these safes.

On a side note and just my opinion...... Say we flock to the store to buy these RFID safes. The sales are astronomical and all the gun boards on the internet talk about how great these are and how we would bet our lives on these securing our weapons and being able to access them quickly. Well, next thing you know our country's wonderful lawmakers are trolling the boards saying if you secure your guns this way why not just build it into the gun also. Now we just opened the doors and sealed our fate by supporting and buying these safes.

You are already late to the party. They have built them into guns already.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/29/technology/innovation/smart-gun/

And especially this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2550458/Companys-James-Bond-style-smart-gun-fired-owner.html

I know they already have created smart guns. What I'm saying is there has been strong opposition from the gun community saying "no way" to these "smart gun". Buying these safes would be hypocritical on our part. If we buy these safes, we will be saying we support the technology and trust it in securing our arms indirectly. I believe that would be the push our government would need to create laws in actually requiring RFID technology built into our weapons directly. I hope I was more clear this time. Accepting this technology in safes does not help us.

I know they already have created smart guns. What I'm saying is there has been strong opposition from the gun community saying "no way" to these "smart gun". Buying these safes would be hypocritical on our part. If we buy these safes, we will be saying we support the technology and trust it in securing our arms indirectly. I believe that would be the push our government would need to create laws in actually requiring RFID technology built into our weapons directly. I hope I was more clear this time. Accepting this technology in safes does not help us.

I understand what you meant. Read the whole last link/article. Besides, they already are pushing for it. It's been on the NJ books for awhile and as soon as it's proven ready, they will move forward with it. Just don't think creating sales for these gun boxes, (which I think are useless), will persuade them any more because they are already hell bent on it. That last article shows they are even closer to being ready.

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

I don't want anything that is going to rely on electricity for me to access my guns.  It has a battery backup but when the battery runs out ???????  As for biometrics, bloody hands? dirty hands? cuts?  I'll stick with a good old fashioned key lock...besides, RFID & GPS allows for tracking by numerous entities that I may not want to know the whereabouts of my guns.

I don't want anything that is going to rely on electricity for me to access my guns.  It has a battery backup but when the battery runs out ???????  As for biometrics, bloody hands? dirty hands? cuts?  I'll stick with a good old fashioned key lock...

Even better, good old-fashioned simplex push button lock...

Oh yeah, nothing like good old aluminum to keep people out. I mean a teenager with a $7 hacksaw might have to work at that for 10-15 minutes... well beyond their attention span. 

You don't need a hacksaw, just a special screwdriver:

Failsafe in case of Electronic Failure

A "Fail Safe" has been implemented into the GunBox. A small unique safety screw can be removed using a special tool which will manually open the Gunbox in the event the electronics fail.

You don't need a hacksaw, just a special screwdriver:

Failsafe in case of Electronic Failure

A "Fail Safe" has been implemented into the GunBox. A small unique safety screw can be removed using a special tool which will manually open the Gunbox in the event the electronics fail.

SO I need the $4 security bit kit form harbor freight? This thing gets better and better every time I encounter it. 

I guess it's cool, and I admire it from the 'because we can' perspective, but I just don't see the point.

If you're awake, you should be carrying it on your person.*

If you're asleep, it should be under your pillow.

If you leave the house, then you either carry it because you're in a free state or you put it in the safe because - you're out of the house, so it doesn't matter if it's "inaccessible"

*If you are morally opposed to home carry as some people are, then concealment furniture is far better. Skip the fragile tech, AND unauthorized persons have no idea it's there.

I have the HF security bit set.  it still didn't have a screw bit I need to fix a rotating Christmas tree stand.  Who's to say it has the "special" bit for this box.

Not saying it's the greatest thing in the world, but I've seen far worse.

The new Hornady RAPiD-safe is like this but with 5 access ability's.

Multiple Access Options

The RAPiD™ safe can be opened with the RFID bracelet, credit card, key fob, or with a personally programmed code. It is also accessible with a conventional key lock.

http://www.hornady.com/store/RAPiD-Safe

this is better