kirk2022

Revolver Guys, I need assistance

I have been looking at revolvers for A while. I  think I have found one I would like to buy. So I am looking for opinions on this gun.

S&W 586 6" barrel blued. The Barrel has been drilled and tapped, I guess for A scope. It has Hogue grips on it.  I do know it is not A newer model.   The seller will let me have it looked over by my gunsmith, who will be doing the transfer. He is offering A 3 day return period. I have requested the year of manufature from him, waiting on that info.

It looks like I can get it for about $375.00 plus ship and transfer fees.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Not to be a cynic, but that's too good a price. Unless you know the seller personally, I'm thinking this could be a scam. Proceed with caution. If this isn't bogus, the d&t does lessen its value, but even at that it's too cheap. Make sure the holes they d&t didn't go through the barrel. Good luck - heck of a deal if it's a straight piece and the deal is on the up-and-up.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'm partial to large-caliber revolvers. I own two. That being said, that is one hell of a gun, a S&W no less, at one hell of a price. 

They say you should always handle and inspect used guns before buying. You have a 3-day return provision. Why don't you ask him to take some more detailed photos? Can the seller photograph the bore? If you buy it, do you have the time to put 100 .38 specials through it (.357 magnums are currently about 40-45 cents/round)? 

Used guns are always "Buyer Beware". That being said, I have made some good deals on used guns and I have made a really bad deal (5-1969 Romanian Trainers $200). It's best if you can hold the gun and look it over. If not, having a gunsmith look it over is a great idea.

I think you are being very smart by having the gunsmith look at it before you take possession. If he looks it over and says its crap he can send it back and it doesn't cost you a permit.

I don't know: if the seller is sending it to the gunsmith for the purpose of selling can the gunsmith send it back to the seller? Is the seller using a FFL to send this out? Is that FFL willing to take it back, has the return been explained and agreed upon? I'd hate to see a POS show up at your FFL and have him stuck with it.

All that being said: I hope it's a good gun, if so you have come into a great deal. Best of Luck to Ya Laddy!

That deal sounds too good to be true.

Sure does. Just insist they take it to a local FFL to be shipped. One you can verify by looking up their license and call them. My guess is you will never hear from the guy again. This sounds like one if those scams when they get you to send the money and you never hear from them again. If he takes it to the FFL to be shipped and you can verify it then congrats, you scored a great deal.

Ok guys. Thanks for the answers and opinions. The seller is a gunshop. Where we are now is I think its A 1992 production. SN # BHP1xx. He has sent me pics which it am stopping by my ffl with. He is also the gunsmith who will approve the sale. Now I just have to get the seller to take my final offer. Which after all the back and forth with him he might try to push the price a bit. But after the replies I have gotten here, I will go higher but not to some of the prices that have been mentioned.

Thanks

Ok guys. Thanks for the answers and opinions. The seller is a gunshop. Where we are now is I think its A 1992 production. SN # BHP1xx. He has sent me pics which it am stopping by my ffl with. He is also the gunsmith who will approve the sale. Now I just have to get the seller to take my final offer. Which after all the back and forth with him he might try to push the price a bit. But after the replies I have gotten here, I will go higher but not to some of the prices that have been mentioned.

Thanks

Kirk:

As I pointed out to you on PAFOA, you are one character short in the serial number. This coupled with the hot deal would send up a red flag to me. It should be a 586-3, given the serial number pre-fix.

Another red flag comes to mind - at that price he could sell as many of them as he could lay his hands on - no questions asked. Why would he negotiate a price with you?

Just proceed with caution. I hope all is as presented, but be careful - especially if you found this on Armslist.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

If this isn't bogus, the d&t does lessen its value, but even at that it's too cheap. Make sure the holes they d&t didn't go through the barrel. Adios,

Pizza Bob

According to wiki: 586-4 1994 Drill and tap, synthetic grips, change rear site and extractor.

So does that mean that the D&T could be from the factory?

Probably should go for up around 6-7 hundred

Just saw a brand new 686+ for less than $700 on slickguns.com. $375 is still really good, but 6-7 would be too much for used, no?

--------------------

OP: good luck, hope its the great deal it sounds like.

According to wiki: 586-4 1994 Drill and tap, synthetic grips, change rear site and extractor.

So does that mean that the D&T could be from the factory?

Just saw a brand new 686+ for less than $700 on slickguns.com. $375 is still really good, but 6-7 would be too much for used, no?

--------------------

OP: good luck, hope its the great deal it sounds like.

The gun the OP is considering is a 586-3. The D&T and new style rear sight came on the 586-4. Unfortunately, $600 to $700 seems to be the norm for a used 586/686. If you can find them for less, you are doing good. Private sale is probably the best venue for finding one at a good price, but know your seller.

Adios,

Pizza Bob