Sign in to follow this  
1LtCAP

couple different questions, before i get back out into the shop

different questions, probably belong in different places on the bbs....but rather than make multiple posts, i'm gonna put em here.

1) i see many different grips on long guns. ar platform in particular. i see some guys holding it as they'd hold their old garand. i see some guys holding the fore end all the way out by the muzzle...or at the limit of their reach. i see yet others holding it by the mag well. why? is this just a preference thing, or are there advantages/disadvantages to these different holds?

2) rainwater catchment systems. once your container's full......what do you do with it? does it need to be treated to keep stuff from growing in it? do you simply swap out another container, and store the full one?

Are you talking a simple rain barrel or something more sophisticated? At the very least you need to keep the system closed off or screened otherwise you are looking at mosquito city once the warm weather gets here. You can try a few drops of mineral oil on the surface or get some commercial stuff like Mosquito Bits (IIRC). Otherwise, if it's out of the light and closed off you don't have to worry about anything growing in it. 

I made the assumption you aren't drinking this water just using it for watering plants etc. If you are drinking it that's a whole other ball of wax.

I don't know about the rain water.

I change my grip on any rifle to fit the application.

I grip close to the mag well and tuck my elbo on my side to create a more stable platform for accurate distance shooting. I stand in a "Boxers stance" for this shooting.

I grip mid way or up near the end of the grip for more tactical applications. I can more my arms freely and move between targets quickly if my arm isn't welded to my body. For tactical shooting I stand with my shoulders square to the target.

Are you talking a simple rain barrel or something more sophisticated? At the very least you need to keep the system closed off or screened otherwise you are looking at mosquito city once the warm weather gets here. You can try a few drops of mineral oil on the surface or get some commercial stuff like Mosquito Bits (IIRC). Otherwise, if it's out of the light and closed off you don't have to worry about anything growing in it. 

I made the assumption you aren't drinking this water just using it for watering plants etc. If you are drinking it that's a whole other ball of wax.

i was talking about what i've seen people doing...simple catching it, then use it for drinking water in shtf. virtually any place you see them doing it...as in on doomsday preppers(don't laugh at me for watching that show...it used to be decent)....they go balls out showing how they set up ways to catch/store it, but they don't tell ya HOW they store it in such a way that it won't go bad, or "skunk" if it's stored for extended periods.

as in...do they rotate the storage containers, much like we need to rotate our stored gas? do they treat it with a purifier, and it's good to go?

I don't know about the rain water.

I change my grip on any rifle to fit the application.

I grip close to the mag well and tuck my elbo on my side to create a more stable platform for accurate distance shooting. I stand in a "Boxers stance" for this shooting.

I grip mid way or up near the end of the grip for more tactical applications. I can more my arms freely and move between targets quickly if my arm isn't welded to my body. For tactical shooting I stand with my shoulders square to the target.

so far, with my ar, i grip about midlength down the fore end......that's where i'm comfortable. i definitely keep my elbow tucked, i just thought that perhaps there were advantages to the different grips, is why i'm asking you guys.

i was talking about what i've seen people doing...simple catching it, then use it for drinking water in shtf. virtually any place you see them doing it...as in on doomsday preppers(don't laugh at me for watching that show...it used to be decent)....they go balls out showing how they set up ways to catch/store it, but they don't tell ya HOW they store it in such a way that it won't go bad, or "skunk" if it's stored for extended periods.

as in...do they rotate the storage containers, much like we need to rotate our stored gas? do they treat it with a purifier, and it's good to go?

Gotcha. Rotating is a great idea and so is making sure you use food grade storage containers if you are going to be drinking it. Most likely going to be plastic so you want to make sure it's the least toxic type available, like Polyethylene, if not silicone bladders. If you aren't filtering it while you catch it will be very difficult to turn it into decent drinking water, if at all possible. And even with pre-filtering you have to treat it, whether boiling, chemicals, filters, or combination of those. I know a couple who plan to boil it real good then put it through a good Berkey filter. They are pre-filtering and not storing massive amounts. I think they have 100 gal or so which they can easily rotate.

The easiest way to deal with the rain water is to put an overflow valve (simple as drilling a hole or two) in the top of a 55 gal plastic drum.  If you are using a bladder, it will likely have a built in overflow.  The overflow will allow the water to turn over as it rains and reduce the likelihood of it growing funky.  As for treating it, PUR filters work well, or you can use 2 drops of household bleach per quart of water and let stand for 15 minutes to kill any crypto, giardia, etc.

so far, with my ar, i grip about midlength down the fore end......that's where i'm comfortable. i definitely keep my elbow tucked, i just thought that perhaps there were advantages to the different grips, is why i'm asking you guys.

Some grips are very comfortable, like pulling the gun into your shoulder using the magwell, but offer little stability. Some are not so comfortable but offer more stability. It's all about what you like and allows YOU to shoot the best. It would seem, the further your grip is extended down the barrel the better you can control muzzle flip.

a drop or two of household (unscented) chlorine bleach will keep a gallon of water pure for a very long time if it's capped.

Key work capped! it will evaporate.

Your better off using a chemical to store water then cycling it, unless you plan on washing out your containers... stuff will grow in water, and that stuff will stay in there unless you completely clean out the containers. It may be a good idea to have 2 separate tanks one for potable water and non-potable water.. No reason to treat your toilet water.