iRescue

Raccoon nuisance.

W2MC- that is completely false information. It is very comin to see raccoons out during the day. Especially this time of year when the females are haveing their litters and protect them at night and serch for food during the day. And after a tough winter for them because the snow covered everything for such a Long time

As my mom used to tell me in the 80s, "Things are tough all over, even in Afghanistan."

Bang!

Check with the local laws before you do anything. Half the posts in this thread are suggesting illegal methods of solution to the problem. Trapping and relocation is illegal, shooting them is also illegal unless your a licenced Hunter and your following fish and game laws. If you trap one it has to be released on the same property it was caught on. Unless your a licenced trapper following the fish and game code, then you can dispatch it. If your going to do any of the things suggested in this thread, don't post about it, just do it and keep it to yourself.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

Try dumping some bleach every so often on the garbage.

Ammonia I believe.  They don't like the scent.

As an alternative I'm pretty sure you can trap and relocate them to public park land.  I would strongly suggest becoming familiar with the local laws pertaining to wild animals and dealing with them.  The local ASPCA guy Buddy Amato will come visit and cry on you if you get caught harming his animals.  Then he'll give you a ticket and a round house kick about the head for good measure.

No joke.  The guy is very serious about his job.  Don't get caught trapping or drowning wild animals.  

From the 2013/2014 Hunting and Trapping Digest, Page 27:

Wildlife Damage Control:
Property owners and occupants of dwellings, or
their agents designated in writing, suffering damage
from squirrel, raccoon, opossum, skunk, weasel,
woodchuck, gray fox, red fox and coyote may control
these animals by lawful procedures at any time
subject to state law and local ordinances. Farmers
or their agents may also control the above species by
lawful procedures when found destroying livestock,
crops or poultry at any time subject to state and
local ordinances.

From the 2013/2014 Hunting and Trapping Digest, Page 27:

Wildlife Damage Control:

Property owners and occupants of dwellings, or

their agents designated in writing, suffering damage

from squirrel, raccoon, opossum, skunk, weasel,

woodchuck, gray fox, red fox and coyote may control

these animals by lawful procedures at any time

subject to state law and local ordinances. Farmers

or their agents may also control the above species by

lawful procedures when found destroying livestock,

crops or poultry at any time subject to state and

local ordinances.

Dude, that's just law. Law is not for you, it's for the LOLz

From the NJ Fish and Game site. It seems to me, if you have a hunting license, shoot them in season with an air rifle...you are within the law provided there isn't a town ordinance. Me, I can bow hunt deer on my property and have permission from all my neighbors should I decide too. And when 2/3's of the area of your town is state forest, people aren't as skiddish seeing an BB gun.

OPOSSUM/RACCOON

The season for hunting raccoon and opossum, which opened October 1, will remain open through March 1.

Both species prefer habitats characterized as deciduous woodlands associated with streams, marshes, reservoirs and agricultural areas (with access to water.) There is no daily or season bag limit for raccoon or opossum. Hunting hours are one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise. Use of portable lights is permitted for hunting raccoon.

Fluorescent hunter's orange on outer clothing is not required, but is strongly encouraged as a safety precaution. A current and valid rifle permit is required when possessing a .22 caliber rifle while hunting these species. The season will be closed during the prescribed deer seasons.

On a side note of vermin... a very large percentage of the problematic bears that are caught in the northern third of the state are released in the state land that borders my property. Let's just say our local PD really doesn't care what happens to these repeat bear offenders.

The state stopped relocation of nuisance bears a while ago. They euthanize them now instead. If they break into a home or vehicle. Otherwise they tree them with dogs and Chase them out of the area. It works as a temporary deterrent but they come back.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!