mikelets456

Marlton,NJ police home visit FOID

I think it's only a few localities that are actually this strict on the FID/P2P process...  Aside from waiting nearly 3 months, my application process has always been very painless and non-intrusive.  Mind you, I also live in a VERY small town with a presumably not-so-busy PD...

Maybe those leo's don't have much to do and deal with an anti-2A superior?

I think it's only a few localities that are actually this strict on the FID/P2P process... Aside from waiting nearly 3 months, my application process has always been very painless and non-intrusive. Mind you, I also live in a VERY small town with a presumably not-so-busy PD...

Maybe those leo's don't have much to do and deal with an anti-2A superior?

Would be awesome to get a running list of said towns so one can be aware which are adding this requirement

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

What a sad state of affairs when we think being treated like a criminal instead of a citizen is no big deal as long as the officer was polite and the visit was short and convenient. 

How would people feel if a friendly social worker made a visit to everyone with children just to make sure everything is OK?  Would you be fine with it as long as the investigator is friendly and it just took a few minutes?  How about the police make a brief call to you at home every night just to make sure you're not out getting into trouble?  No big deal right?

This is why I've come to realize this state is a lost cause. It's not the politicians, or Bloomberg or the liberal media.  It's the people including our own community.

What a sad state of affairs when we think being treated like a criminal instead of a citizen is no big deal as long as the officer was polite and the visit was short and convenient. 

How would people feel if a friendly social worker made a visit to everyone with children just to make sure everything is OK?  Would you be fine with it as long as the investigator is friendly and it just took a few minutes?  How about the police make a brief call to you at home every night just to make sure you're not out getting into trouble?  No big deal right?

This is why I've come to realize this state is a lost cause. It's not the politicians, or Bloomberg or the liberal media.  It's the people including our own community.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

You mean fight and win, because OGAM has been fought already and we lost. 

While there is hope for relief from the Supreme Court on "May Issue" for CCW, there is very little chance the same will happen with assault weapon bans, magazine capacity limits or OGAM.  It's just too difficult to make a case to a court that your ability to defend yourself with a firearm is restricted by something like OGAM.

The only reason the 7 round limit in NY was overturned was because there are no 7 round magazines, and requiring people to only load 7 into a 10 round magazine is too stupid even for them.

While there is hope for relief from the Supreme Court on "May Issue" for CCW, there is very little chance the same will happen with assault weapon bans, magazine capacity limits or OGAM.  It's just too difficult to make a case to a court that your ability to defend yourself with a firearm is restricted by something like OGAM.

The only reason the 7 round limit in NY was overturned was because there are no 7 round magazines, and requiring people to only load 7 into a 10 round magazine is too stupid even for them.

The problem isn't really self defense.

For assault weapons, this is where I think the "well regulated militia" will kick in. And the question is, essentially, are military style weapons classified as "assault weapons" protected by the 2nd amendment. US v Miller can be interpreted that they are. The weapons in the Miller case were short barreled shotguns, which the justices claimed were not used in any military. However, M4, M16, AK and AR style rifles are used in the military. 

For OGAM, that one may stand under intermediate scrutiny. It doesn't completely destroy the right, it just regulates it to one per month. Then again, one can argue whether people are allowed to go to church once a week only, or speak once per day etc. The mag limits could also fall under this.

It's difficult to tell and I'm not a gambling man, but I think if this court or a similar one takes up these issues, we have a slim chance of winning. I think AWB will fall but OGAM and mag limits maybe not, unless it's some really small number that completely destroys the right.

It's difficult to tell and I'm not a gambling man, but I think if this court or a similar one takes up these issues, we have a slim chance of winning. I think AWB will fall but OGAM and mag limits maybe not, unless it's some really small number that completely destroys the right.

I think I'd  have a serious issue if "capacity limits" (mags or otherwise) were upheld, especially for pistols/revolvers.  If, for example, the anit's are successful in gaining 10 round limits, we know they won't be satisfied with that. Next year, it will be a "5 round" limit. And that would affect a bunch of people, especially those with "six shooter" revolvers, etc. What would they do? Be forced to turn in their guns?  And, of course, the serious handicap to HD/SD. At that point, I do think it becomes a 2A violation.

To be honest, I think the "capacity limit" law is a lot more critical than many things... maybe even ccw.  :shok:

I think I'd  have a serious issue if "capacity limits" (mags or otherwise) were upheld, especially for pistols/revolvers.  If, for example, the anit's are successful in gaining 10 round limits, we know they won't be satisfied with that. Next year, it will be a "5 round" limit. And that would affect a bunch of people, especially those with "six shooter" revolvers, etc. What would they do? Be forced to turn in their guns?  And, of course, the serious handicap to HD/SD. At that point, I do think it becomes a 2A violation.

To be honest, I think the "capacity limit" law is a lot more critical than many things... maybe even ccw.  :shok:

They're all important and you bring up good points. In PA, it's worded "shall not be questioned". In the 2A of the Constitution it's stated "shall not be infringed".

Websters definition:  to do something that does not obey or follow (a rule, law, etc.) ( chiefly US )

: to wrongly limit or restrict (something, such as another person's rights)

I don't know where "wrongly limit or restrict" turned into 4000 plus gun laws. Shall not be infringed is as simple and boiled down as it gets, but there are people that are bent on taking this country down and they can't do it with a fully armed populace. I believe any politician, Judge or state official that infringes against an obvious right, should be held on treason.

I think if 5 rounds were enacted it would be struck down.

I disagree about what is more important. As it is, I have 0 rounds outside my house. There is a 0 round limit for every new jerseyan who is not a member of law enforcement or who does not have a carry permit. 

If OGAM or magazine capacity limits are important to you then your energies are probably best spent finding a better place to live.  I don't see the chances of relief from the courts or State Legislature to be very good.  I suppose anything is possible but don't hold your breath.

Although I am optimistic that the SC will rule in our favor on May Issue for concealed carry, be prepared for a decades long onslaught of harassing regulations by the State to make it as difficult as possible.  Some will be ruled unconstitutional, some will stick, but overall it will continue to suck here for legal firearm owners.

I think if 5 rounds were enacted it would be struck down.

What makes you think that? If 5 rounds can be struck down, why not 10 or 15?

I disagree about what is more important. As it is, I have 0 rounds outside my house. There is a 0 round limit for every new jerseyan who is not a member of law enforcement or who does not have a carry permit.

To each, their own priorities, I guess. :dontknow: I realize that carry is extremely important to many if not most, here. I'm newer to ownership than most of you (although not new to guns or support for 2A). I've lived in a community for the last 22+ years for which I never personally felt the need for "ownership," much less carry (and yes, I considered it all along).

That said, things are slowly evolving for me... much too slowly, perhaps. I became an owner because I didn't like what I saw as an encroaching agenda against gun ownership. Also, I own a business now where I make "house calls" exclusively (I don't own a "brick & mortar" storefront). I'd absolutely want to be able to carry "on the job," just for my own personal protection, but that's obviously never going to happen in NJ, even if we get basic carry (I seriously doubt they'd ever force any private property owner to let another person carry on their own property). Furthermore, I spend a lot of time in Florida, where I do have the right to carry and for which I've already applied as a non-resident (along with Utah and Arizona).

So yes, I want to see carry come to NJ for all of  us. It's just not the same priority for me as it is for most of you, because it's probably less of a benefit here for me. Having all the capacity I need to defend myself in a SHTF scenario is... as well as protecting my investment in my mags and the guns themselves.

I think I'd  have a serious issue if "capacity limits" (mags or otherwise) were upheld, especially for pistols/revolvers.  If, for example, the anit's are successful in gaining 10 round limits, we know they won't be satisfied with that. Next year, it will be a "5 round" limit. And that would affect a bunch of people, especially those with "six shooter" revolvers, etc. What would they do? Be forced to turn in their guns?  

No, because (so far) all limits in capacity (and, in fact, all limits as to features, flash hiders, adjustable stocks, etc) have only been applied to semi-automatic guns.  Lever action, pump action, break-open action and revolver are not involved.  You can have a 1000-round revolver with a flash hider and bayonet today.

They do a residence check every time you put in for permits.  I didn't mind when I first applied for my FPID, but it does get annoying.  The detective handling the applications does ask what a convenient time to come by would be. I give a one hour window on Sundays when I'm home.  I didn't mind so much when I got my permits within 30 days.  Now that we have a new chief, permits seem to take a lot longer. Perhaps I'll contact NJ2AS.

Also, see this thread from last year:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/47474-leos-driving-byknocking-on-doors-after-fid-apps-and-ccw-fingerprints/

Never had it done to me, but I then again I'm friends with the gentleman who accepts and processes the applications so maybe I got a pass.  Will give him a call and see what I can find out.

Never had it done to me, but I then again I'm friends with the gentleman who accepts and processes the applications so maybe I got a pass.  Will give him a call and see what I can find out.

Interesting. I had it done when I first applied for my FPID and each subsequent application for P2Ps.  I know three other people in Evesham who've also had the residence check done when applying.  Let us know what you find out.    

Interesting. I had it done when I first applied for my FPID and each subsequent application for P2Ps. I know three other people in Evesham who've also had the residence check done when applying. Let us know what you find out.

I was told by the aforementioned reliable source that a few years ago someone misrepresented themselves to the department during the application process. Since that time they do indeed make a residence check routine, but only if the applications are in excess of 12 months apart.

I was told by the aforementioned reliable source that a few years ago someone misrepresented themselves to the department during the application process. Since that time they do indeed make a residence check routine, but only if the applications are in excess of 12 months apart.

So one person changes the entire process, infringes further on innocent peoples rights, because of one person.....but, that's for our safety, of course.

So one person changes the entire process, infringes further on innocent peoples rights, because of one person.....but, that's for our safety, of course.

Agreed, as while it seems they aren't doing anything to hinder the process beyond a simple visit it was disappointing to hear.  There is already a law against misrepresenting one's self while applying so like anything else if someone chooses to do so they make themselves vulnerable to prosecution.  Also since 99.9% of us follow the law then as you essentially stated stated one bad apple should not be able to spoil the bunch.  If it became a frequent occurrence then it would be easier to accept, but there appears to be no evidence that is the case.

Well SOME of us have multiple addresses in New Jerky and not in Poconos and we actually DO stay in them cause they are closeby. But like, not at the same time cause cant exactly chop myself in half. Perhaps its easier for New Jerky to just house us ALL in government supported apartment complex's (similar to North Korea) to facilitate the New Jerky "FID aka FPID" card system more accurately. It all of course is done for the Holy Name of Safety.

Sorry I dont have a problem with a quick check that somebody actually resides at the address they say. Checking for an initial FID, ok...if they did it every time he applied for permits then no

They do. I just got a P2P back in April that I had submitted in Feb.

I've gotten my initial, then 3 P2P over the years. Came out every time.

P.S. I also live in Marlton

During one application process I got a call around 7pm from the officer who handles the paperwork in my town. I'd been down there the day before but evidently he forgot one form. He offered to drive it over, to which I agreed. He intended to drop it off and have me bring it to the station the next day. When I learned it was just two signatures I invited him in, signed the form, and he was on his way. Seemed pretty harmless to me, and saved me 4-minute detour.