gleninjersey

RECOMMEND COMPENSATOR - ANYONE USE WHEATON ARMS COMP?

In the process of looking for a compensator. Will be being placed on a 14.5 mid-length I came across one of Sootch00's Youtube videos reviewing the Wheaton compensator (on phone now, will link later) and was wondering if anyone has one or has used one. Seems to do very good jon of leveling the muzzle flip.

If nobody has used the Wheaton what do you recommend?

Keep in mind that the ability of a break/comp to fulfill the shooters expectations is very personal/subjective. What I think works best with my particular rifle with my shooting style, my grip, my ability to control recoil, etc... may be the result of a very different interpretation of the effectiveness of a particular brake/comp than what you experience when shooting the same exact brake/comp.

There are a few that are proven by most people to work - for example the BattleComp, PWS FSC556, KAC TripleTap, BCM Comp - but you will be hard pressed to get 3 shooters to agree on which is best amongst them. While we would all agree that each of them work, we would still argue about which one is actually the best.

That being said, I have never heard of the Wheaton comp you are asking about.

On my rifles I have 3 PWS FSC556s, 1 Troy Claymore, a BC 1.5 and 2 issued guns with A2 birdcages on them.

Out of the bunch I like the BCM and PWS FSC556 the best and I really see/feel very little subjective difference between them. Definitely not an $80 difference (FSC ~$100 and BC ~$180)

Subjectively, to me the FSC556 seems to keep the muzzle just a bit flatter during rapid firing, but has a bit more side blast. The BC has less felt recoil but doesn't flatten the muzzle as well.

I like them both and would put either on my rifles. But, given the price difference, I think I will stay with the FSC556 for now.

Remember, the efficiency of a brake can be modeled on a computer, it's abilities to reduce muzzle climb or felt recoil can be measured in a lab, but ultimately the performance of a particular device is subjective to the individual shooter - since everyone feels recoil differently and to different degrees.

The only real way to determine which break is the "best" - to you - is to shoot them both side by side on identical guns with ammo from the same lot and then make a decision based on your subjective impressions of each.

In the end, the brake that feels the "best" to you may be my least favorite.

Thanks High Exposure. I realize a comp won't make a person a more accurate or better shooter, just looking for peoples opinions on what they use and why they like it. Don't want this thread to be "comp A" is better than "comp B" discussion. Just peiples honest opinions about the comps they have.

My requirements:

$75-$100 price range

Effective at mitigating muzzle rise/flip

Not too blasty that I'll upset ppl in ports next to me (this is the less of my concerns).

I'm sure I would be happy with a regular A2 if it brings the rifle to the legal length. I shoot a 357 so the recoil of the rifle won't be an issue. But since NJ deems the A2 as TOO EVIL and forces me to spend additional money on something I won't need, I thought I would get others input who have been forced to do the same.

I wish I had the time and the means to line up a side by side comparison of diff comps as you stated but I don't see that being too realistic right now. How did eveyone else pick their comps?

My requirements:

$75-$100 price range

Effective at mitigating muzzle rise/flip

Not too blasty that I'll upset ppl in ports next to me (this is the less of my concerns).

It looks to me like the FSC556 is the choice for you.

As for your last point, I don't understand why people shoot ARs indoors at 25 yards. I don't get the point. Still, guns are loud and if you live in NJ, dealing with muzzle breaks comes with the territory. If people are bothered by it, they should double-up on ear-pro, leave the range, leave the state, or find another hobby. I wouldn't let your choice of comp be affected by other people's inability to deal with a range environment.

I wish I could just keep an A2 on it. I'm not really too concerned about the "blastiness level" but if 2 comps do pretty much the same job of leveling the gun and one is significantly "less blasty" I would prob look at that one.

I don't care about reducing the noise. It's a gun and suppossed to go "BOOM!"

At the 3:07 mark in the video he says, "And of course this is adaptable for suppressors."  Is the fact that it's adaptable to accept a suppressor a deal breaker for our wonderful state laws?  Does this make it a def no go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5jGyFpOBgs

It doesn't look like the front of the Deployment Comp is threaded so I'm not sure what they mean?  Perhaps they mean that prior to shipping that at the shop they can thread it for you? 

http://www.wheatonarms.com/store/p38/Wheaton_Arms_Deployment_Comp.html

If it's a no go I was thinking about going with one of their slightly larger Tactial 3 Gun Muzzle Break but when looking at their web site it says, "Threaded 1/2x28. Exit hole can be opened for larger calibers. Comes standard for 5.56/223." 

http://www.wheatonarms.com/store/p24/Wheaton_Arms_Tactical_3-Gun_Muzzlebrake.html

Does the fact that the "exit hole can be opened for larger calibers make it non-NJ legal?  Theoretically couldn't any muzzle break be drilled to accommodate a larger caliber? 

Thanks High Exposure.  I've emailed the company to inquire.  Looking at the video and Wheaton's website it doesn't look like the front of the break is threaded at all.  I'll post an update once I hear back from them.  Looks like a really good comp all in all.  Just hope I'm not banned from purchasing it due to our state laws.

They have an ATF letter saying it IS NOT a flash hider. 

Oh ok, that's good. Does it minimize any flash?

I'm looking to do a rifle length AR soon so I was looking at the PRC. It says up to .338 so im assuming it would be fine with .223/5.56..

It does a pretty good job of minimizing flash.  Here a link were they compare the flash mitigiation and stablization/muzzle flip of several different comps & flash hiders compared to the basic A2 Birdcage.  They supperipmose the image of the rifles being shot with the comps over the image of the rifle shot with the A2.

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2014/01/12/ar-15-muzzle-device-comparison/

You may want to take a look at Wheaton Arms as well:

http://www.wheatonarms.com/store/c4/AR-15.html

Sootch00 gave a good overview of their 3 Gun Muzzle break:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4nVej-7jUQ

And on Wheaton's website it says they that the exit hole can be opened for larger calibers.  I'm guessing they will dril it to the size you need before shipping.  Not sure about the flash mitigation on the 3 Gun Muzzle Break.

I had emailed Wheaton Arms with some questions and Robbie Wheaton responded very promptly.  I wanted to make sure the Deployment Comp couldn't be considered a flash hider and he said, "This is a muzzle brake and is classified as such. With that being said, it does a great job at mitigating muzzle flash as well even though that is not its primary purpose."

My concern was that it wouldn't throw off giant fireballs.  Wasn't anywhere near my primary concern but I was curious.

I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering their Deployment Comp soon.  If you have any question send them an email or give them a call. 

It does a pretty good job of minimizing flash.  Here a link were they compare the flash mitigiation and stablization/muzzle flip of several different comps & flash hiders compared to the basic A2 Birdcage.  They supperipmose the image of the rifles being shot with the comps over the image of the rifle shot with the A2.

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2014/01/12/ar-15-muzzle-device-comparison/

You may want to take a look at Wheaton Arms as well:

http://www.wheatonarms.com/store/c4/AR-15.html

Sootch00 gave a good overview of their 3 Gun Muzzle break:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4nVej-7jUQ

And on Wheaton's website it says they that the exit hole can be opened for larger calibers.  I'm guessing they will dril it to the size you need before shipping.  Not sure about the flash mitigation on the 3 Gun Muzzle Break.

I had emailed Wheaton Arms with some questions and Robbie Wheaton responded very promptly.  I wanted to make sure the Deployment Comp couldn't be considered a flash hider and he said, "This is a muzzle brake and is classified as such. With that being said, it does a great job at mitigating muzzle flash as well even though that is not its primary purpose."

My concern was that it wouldn't throw off giant fireballs.  Wasn't anywhere near my primary concern but I was curious.

I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering their Deployment Comp soon.  If you have any question send them an email or give them a call. 

The Wheaton brake looks a lot like the Fortis RED. after reading that article I feel i have learned a lot about brakes. steered me away from the Rainier RAC i was looking at. Also makes me was to get rid of the dynacomp from my other AR. lol

The Wheaton brake looks a lot like the Fortis RED. after reading that article I feel i have learned a lot about brakes. steered me away from the Rainier RAC i was looking at. Also makes me was to get rid of the dynacomp from my other AR. lol

If you shot at EFGA in Easton well hace to get together in the near future ti compare builds, comps and ideas. I hope to have all my compliance work done next week on the upper, then complete the lower, slap it together and then take for a test drive.

I like the size of the the Wheaton Deployment and the fact that it is about the same size as the A2.

I do shoot at EFGA and i will be there early Sunday morning to shoot my AR. the thread to my next build is here:http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/69074-decided-to-start-2nd-build/#entry875779 still trying to figure it all out before i get into it