Silphidae

Maximum Accuracy Reached for Glock 34?

I'm in the process of developing an IDPA load for my G34. Currently settled with 124grain Xtreme RN bullet with 3.8 grains of Titegroup seated to 1.150 OAL. Power factor of 130 and getting ok accuracy at 15 yards, the group opens up at 25 yards.

This is my latest target. The head shot is 6 rounds at 25 yards from a sandbag. 1 round was pulled obviously. I also did not have a "dot" on the head as an aiming point so that may have affected the grouping.

The body under the head is 7 rounds at 15 yards from bench rest. The second body target is 14 rounds off hand at 15 yards.

Should I expect better groupings from a stock G34 or am I going down the rabbit hole?

post-3162-0-26302500-1401216957_thumb.jpgpost-3162-0-55295900-1401216962_thumb.jpg

I'd say that is accurate enough.

IDPA rules forbid required head shots further than 10 yards, and no shots further than 25 yards in scenario stages. 75% must be 15 yards or less.

35 yards is the max for standards stages and no more than 6 allowed per stage.

You don't get extra merit for groups, only down-0, down-1, down-3 or down-5.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

So do you think that's about the best I can get with a stock 34?

You may be able to get better but the returns may not be worth the effort for IDPA.

What sights do you have? If they are the stock ones you are going to have difficulty doing much better even with the best ammo in the world. That huge front sight is too wide for super-precise shots at longer ranges.

If you can consistently hit the down-0 freestyle from 25 yards I wouldn't worry. I'd spend the time working on transitions, cadence, reloads, movement, staging, etc. rather than obsess about tiny groups.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Dawson fiber optic, thin front. I'm close to calling this one good enough and start reloading 1,000 rounds for practice. I like reloading but hate the process of working up loads....I don't know when to call it good enough.

I’ve achieved the same results as you did with a stock G34 barrel. 6” groups @ 25 yds

With both 115gr FMJ and 125gr LRN.

With a KKM barrel I can shave 2” off of the 25 yd groups with the FMJ

About 5” groups with the 125 gr LRN  and I’ve tried 2 different diameter bullets.

I’m not really happy with the results but it seems to be the norm.

I’ll be trying a faster powder when I get a chance to obdurate the bullet. (125 gr LRN)

I’ve achieved the same results as you did with a stock G34 barrel. 6” groups @ 25 yds

With both 115gr FMJ and 125gr LRN.

With a KKM barrel I can shave 2” off of the 25 yd groups with the FMJ

About 5” groups with the 125 gr LRN and I’ve tried 2 different diameter bullets.

I’m not really happy with the results but it seems to be the norm.

I’ll be trying a faster powder when I get a chance to obdurate the bullet. (125 gr LRN)

Does the KKM barrel really make THAT much of a difference? I thought it was of bigger benefit only when using lead?

Does the KKM barrel really make THAT much of a difference? I thought it was of bigger benefit only when using lead?

It shrunk my jacketed groups by 2"

I have a problem with obdurating the lead bullet and have to use a faster powder.

Correct no lead in a stock barrel, lead OK in the KKM.

KKM has a tighter chamber than stock and locks up tighter in the hood.

Let me clarify...It is MORE supported

So does that translates into better harmonics or something? I know that's the case with rifle barrels but a barrel thats under 4", I didnt think would make any difference. 2" is a crazy difference, for any firearm. I need to try this now.

IMHO I think the more supported  chamber aligns the bullet better.

And the tighter lock up in the slide keeps the platform more.solid until the bullet leaves the barrel.

An interesting note is at the muzzle where the barrel goes  through the slide, my KKM barrel is .001" smaller than my OEM barrel.

I've played with this platform a little bit. LOL

How can you tell you need a faster powder to help obturate the bullet? Are there clear signs that you notice?

I'm not really sure. It was the recommendation of the bullet manufacturer (Dardas).  I can say that I was getting a little leading in the

throat of the barrel and told him that before he made the suggestion.

I was shooting W231 and am going to try CLAYS  Here's the burn rate chart.

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

I've never seen a bullet expand to fit rifling in any simulation I've run. But I acknowledge I haven't seen everything...

For excessive leading I'd expect the powder to be TOO fast, escaping around the bullet before the projectile swages through the forcing cone.

Clays is whoa fast. I like it in .45 but even there I get sooty cases because it's so fast it doesn't expand the brass to seal the chamber.

I've never seen a bullet expand to fit rifling in any simulation I've run. But I acknowledge I haven't seen everything...

For excessive leading I'd expect the powder to be TOO fast, escaping around the bullet before the projectile swages through the forcing cone.

Clays is whoa fast. I like it in .45 but even there I get sooty cases because it's so fast it doesn't expand the brass to seal the chamber.

You can look at it in a couple of different ways and I'm not sure which is correct.  Your scenario is one possibility.  But what if the bullet doesn't expand

enough and strips in the first 1/4" of rifling?

Jackets shoot just fine.

It's a little beyond me and I have to play with it. When I have time!!!  LOL

Right now it's 1/4" groups @ 100yd time.