Sign in to follow this  
GlastonburyNative

Initial FID and P2P Limbo: What are my next steps?

Good Evening Everyone,

I am currently waiting for a decision from my local poilce department in regards to my initial FID and P2P.  I submitted my paperwork on April 04, 2014 and was told the current wait time was six weeks due to the volume of applications they received.  I know by law a decision should be rendered within 30 days. However, as we all know this is not the reality we are all faced with in many communities here in New Jersey.  I was understanding with the timeline given, handed my paperwork over, including payment in the form of checks and went on my merry way.

Both my checks were cashed on April 10, 2014 and my references received their paperwork and submitted everything by April 18, 2014.  On April 28, 2014, I called the records section of the police department, was told they had all my paperwork from the state for the final stages in the process and should receive my letter to pick up my permits in one to two weeks. 

Two weeks and more passed, so I placed another phone call on  May 23, 2014 inquiring once again.  At this point, the kind records person couldn't locate my paperwork but agreed to follow up.  A few moments passed and I was told my paperwork was no longer with them.  The person stated my paperwork was with the firearms marshall for a final review then to the chief of police for his signature.  I was instructed to wait for the letter informing me I can pick up my permits.

Today is now the two month mark since I began this FID journey many of us have experienced.  My situation is somewhat different in the sense that all my paperwork is with the decision makers in this matter, and I am now left in limbo.  

I am tempted to write the chief of police a letter inquiring as to the decision of my permits, but a bit apprehensive since this may aggravate the situation.    Given this, should I hold on writing a certified letter and give more time to pass hoping my letter will come in the mail?  I know many will suggest going to the police station and follow up hoping it is laying there waiting for me.  I am tempted to do this, but it appears to be a town requirement that I receive my letter in the mail before going down to inquire.  I am prepared to write a letter as well to both the Mayor and Town Manager as well to assist if my initial letter goes without a response.

Thanks!

" I am tempted to do this, but it appears to be a town requirement that I receive my letter in the mail before going down to inquire. "

Although I understand your apprehension, for me, I try to always remember who works for whom. The police, the chief, and all the town's employees work for me. I don't work for them and I am generally happy to politely remind them of that.

Additionally I would call/email the NJ2AS and have them inquire as to the whereabouts of said paperwork.

If you don't go down there, your permits could potentially be sitting with a 2 week(or more)past date and you are losing time.

IANAL, and all is simply my opinion. YMMV.

C

If you don't go down there, your permits could potentially be sitting with a 2 week(or more)past date and you are losing time.

This just happened to my GF.  We were calling to inquire periodically and the lady finally said to come down to pick them up when we called the last time.  She picked them up on May 16th, they were dated April 30th.  Who knows how long they would have sat if we didn't call.

Screw them. Call them frequently. If you can figure out the right time, 15 minutes before lunch and drag it out.

As described, ask for the firearms marshall's name and number.

Polite and annoying.

lmao on the "firearms marshall".... I called everyday after 90 days when I applied. WhT CAN YOU LOSE. I live in a big ass crime filled city, i expected a long wait. small towns I do not expect that.

They actually told you they have a "firearms Marshall"?

Wow.

Yup.  I was told it was sent to the firearms marshall.  That's the interesting thing.  I googled my town to include the keyword FID and a few people have been given that response when there was a delay.

If you have friendly state legislators contact them as well. Ours contacted NJSP FIU and demanded and demanded an official explanation.

Be sure to contact ANJRPC strikeforce [email protected]. They are planning legal action against these noncompliant towns

I live within the 22nd district, I think that may be a dead end.  However, i'll make contact with the ANJRPC.  I suppose it is time to write that letter to my cleo, then to the town manager and mayor if no response is given. 

Quick question to all,

Has anyone ever used the services of a lawyer in order to compel an answer from the pd?

Pretty sure others have, but there was a landmark case that said they could take how long they want (or something to that effect).