mikeyjones

How to dispose of old gasoline and kerosene

How old and how much? -- I would mix it in vehicles and burn it -- kerosene will burn just fine in a diesel engine

Got oil heat in your house -- Drop the kero in there --

What makes you say the fuel is bad?

About 2 gal of kero and 1 gal gas. It's been sitting outside for at least 9 months. Previous Owner of the house left it outside the shed and they were both covered with snow and ice all winter. I discovered them in the spring.

I don't have a diesel but I do have oil heat.

The kero as long as no water got into it should be fine. I keep it for several years and use it in my heater when the power is out. As for the gas like another poster said wait for a local hazmet disposal day or maybe run it though your lawn mower but It may foul the carb if the gas is really bad.

At your next tank fill or if over half right now, mix the kero and gas together and put it in your oil tank.  The oil burner will never know its there.  When I worked at the chemical company all our flammable chemical waste needed to be discarded.  Service would come and see if soluble in diesel fuel.  If it was they took it and then dumped it in the big tanks at the refinery.  Percentage was so low that no laws were broken and you all burned it in your home heating system.

Throw some gas treatment like STP or other gas treatment and use it in your mower. I've stowed gas for a year or two with no prob in my mower, blower, etc. Got 2 cycle power equipment, mix it with some 2 cycle oil.

If you are not sure about the gas, funnel it through a paper filter into another container and use it.

Kero is fine too.

I'm more worried about the fact that water got into the containers.

We have a chimineia so I might mix them together and use it as a starting fluid in there. Until the containers are empty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

I would stand far away and have a garden hose at the ready...

Do not put any gasoline in your heating oil tank no matter how diluted it is! Kerosene is fine to add to your oil tank as long as there's no water in it.

The water will be sitting on the bottom of the tank, its possible to skim the fuel off the water carefully. Just don't shake the tank up before you skim. Water and fuel is a temporary emulsion. Like 6th grade earth science taught all of us.