thelosticon

troy pdw stock

No way. That is a truly collapsible stock similar to the MP5 and other collapsible stocks found on HKs.

While I think the "evil feature" nonsense is exactly that, nonsense, I believe this is the type of stock that the law was trying to address. The adjustable stock in the M4 type being unacceptable was just a byproduct of badly worded legislation.

In any event, I wish I could get one. I would really like that stock for an SBR in .300blk - stupid Jersey...

No way. That is a truly collapsible stock similar to the MP5 and other collapsible stocks found on HKs.

While I think the "evil feature" nonsense is exactly that, nonsense, I believe this is the type of stock that the law was trying to address. The adjustable stock in the M4 type being unacceptable was just a byproduct of badly worded legislation.

In any event, I wish I could get one. I would really like that stock for an SBR in .300blk - stupid Jersey...

I've got a friend who's working on a similar setup but works with a standard carrier so one less specialized part as well as reduced cost. Tell you what, I'll build a 300BLK machine gun with that stock on your behalf ;)

I've got a friend who's working on a similar setup but works with a standard carrier so one less specialized part as well as reduced cost. Tell you what, I'll build a 300BLK machine gun with that stock on your behalf ;)

mind linking to carrier info, id love to check it out

I have used stocks like this before on MP5s and G3s. They are great for transport and being discrete, they are not the best for shooting. Understand that these stocks are a compromise, a solution to a storage, weight, size problem. Not an advantage in shooting.

Personally, $500 for a stock setup that you are going to pin - this removing the only real advantage of the system other than it looks bad ass - is pretty steep. Especially when it is less comfortable and less capable than a standard receiver extension and stock set up.

Oh, and Ty..... I love and hate you. It's very confusing...

Personally, $500 for a stock setup that you are going to pin - this removing the only real advantage of the system other than it looks bad ass - is pretty steep. Especially when it is less comfortable and less capable than a standard receiver extension and stock set up.

that's for that.... that just about talked me out of it... who knows maybe by the time I get around to it the price will be down some

Even with that proprietary bolt carrier? It gives me the heebie jeebies just looking at it.

There have been iterations of this stock for the AR platform for a while now. They were expensive and rare, but they function fine.

The reason you didn't see more of them is that they were designed to fill a niche role - the Personal Defense Weapon or PDW. Think of the FN P90, HK MP5K and MP7, the Steyr TMP, Mini Uzi, etc...

Most regular folks don't have much use for a weapon to fill that role. They are just not doing Executive Protection, High Threat transport security, low profile surveillance in a high threat and non-permissive environment, conducting direct action missions or tubular assaults, or working in the rear of a war zone.

So, somene came up with an M4 configuration to fit the role as needed. 7" (or sometimes less) barrel and these collapsible stocks. Great idea on paper, same mags, same support gear, same load carriage, widely available rifle round instead of pistol round (MP5K, Uzi, TMP) or proprietary round (MP7, P90). Win win win.... Except, a 5.56 rifle with a 7" barrel just didn't have the punch that was desired. It was loud and concussion was a beast - important in a close fight or when fighting from inside a car, and it was not as accurate - think about it, a 1/7 -1/9 twist on a 7" barrel doesn't stabilize every round as well as it should. It may not even get one full revolution before leaving the muzzle.

In the end it really wasn't much better than the guns they were trying to replace, they ran hard and as such had an accelerated PM cycle and were not as reliable as they needed it to be.

The popularity of the .300BLK has changed that. With the .300BLK and Whisper you have a popular, fairly common, relatively cheap round that uses mostly standard AR parts (everything but the barrel) and that hits as hard at 200 yards as a 5.56 does a foot from the muzzle - even from a very short barrel. It is also very reliable, and accurate enough - even with the extrememly short barrels. Now you can have that ultra compact PDW sized weapon that still retains the necessary punch, is reliable, and accurate.